Dermoid Cyst

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Super Mommy
Hi

I am new to this forum. I just found out that I am pregnant with my first child several weeks ago. My husband and I are on cloud nine and couldn't be more excited. Unfortunately yesterday I was having a lot of cramping on my right side so I called my doctor. She had me come in for my first ultrasound (based on my last period I should be 9.5 weeks along, however the U/S showed me at 7 weeks 6 days). While she was doing the U/S she noticed something unusual. She sent me to the radiology department in the hospital to have them look at it. At that point she was indicating that it looked like a tubal pregnancy. After 3 hours in the hospital (mostly spent waiting) I found out that the baby is fine, but I have a mass the size of an orange on my ovary. It is a dermoid cyst and because of it's size it will have to be removed before the baby is born. More than likely they will have to remove my whole ovary. The doctors are hoping that we can wait until my second trimester to remove it. I am praying for a miracle.

I'm terrified of the surgery since I have never had surgery or even really been sick. My mother took a holistic approach to healthcare while I was growing up and have followed in her footsteps relying on western medicine as a last resort; surgery is a totally foreign concept to me. But, I am even more terrified about the impact to my baby. The longer they can hold off on operating the better it will be for my little critter. I just feel like I can't be excited any more or I am afraid to get too attached to my baby. Do any of you with high risk pregnancies have this feeling? How do you deal with this?
May 26th, 2006, 12:05 PM
asianmama
im not high risk but i saw ur topic... when i found out i was pregnant with this baby i had the cramping and pains too i went and got an u/s and they said i had a cyst... yesterday i went back to gte another u/s and they said the cyst had dissovled on its own... mine was on my right ovary... the techicans and doctors say its common to have a cyst on the ovary from which u ovulated from...

i hope that ur cyst disappears and ur baby is safe and healthy. congrats on the pregancy.
May 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
im not high risk but i saw ur topic... when i found out i was pregnant with this baby i had the cramping and pains too i went and got an u/s and they said i had a cyst... yesterday i went back to gte another u/s and they said the cyst had dissovled on its own... mine was on my right ovary... the techicans and doctors say its common to have a cyst on the ovary from which u ovulated from...

i hope that ur cyst disappears and ur baby is safe and healthy. congrats on the pregancy. [/b]

Wow that is awesome! They made it sound like this is way too big for it to be something that just disolves....but on the other hand doctors have been wrong before. That gives me hope! My doctor did mention something about the overy that you ovulate from swelling and that it is possible that in addition to my cyst there may also be some excess swelling and that the mass may shrink somewhat due to that. If that is the case they may be able to hold off on the surgery until after the baby is born.

Thanks for posting...and congrats on your healthy pregnancy!
May 26th, 2006, 04:15 PM
asianmama
i hope ur doc is wrong and the cyst goes away with out surgery. hope u have a happy healthy nine month pregnancy and a healthy bouncing baby boy or girl.
May 29th, 2006, 07:45 AM
I was not pregnant when I had my dermoid but I had to have surgery and from what I know and read about these cysts is they do not dissolve on their own. I had one about 10 yrs ago the size of an orange and they ended up having to remove my whole right ovary too. The surgery was done like a csection and I had a little bikini scar. I ended up having a csection with my son and they used the same scar to cut. I am new to this board and jm in general. I do not know what the surgery entails while pregnant but I know that I was in the hospital for about 4 days after and now after having a csection in Feb the recovery time was about the same and the pain about the same. I do know that I asked to postpone the surgery as I was in nursing school at the time and they told me it needed to be done asap. I think there is a risk that it will continue to grow and do damage to the ovary or fallopian tube. Mine had completely destroyed my ovary. Hope this helps. Michelle
May 29th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've also had a dermoid cyst but not while pregnant and I was told that it would NOT shrink or go away on it's on. I had mine removed through Laparoscopic outpatient surgery. It was 6 centimeters when they found it and when it was removed a week a half later it was closer to 7 centimeters.

I don't know what kind of problems this causes while pregnant but I do want to say that I'll be thinking of you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search