overactive thyroid

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was just informed due to some tests that were taken due to heart palpitations that I have been having that I have an overactive thyroid. I have an appointment with an endocrinologist on Wednesday.

I would really like any info on this that anyone has!! THANKS

Forever in our hearts

June 2nd, 2006, 03:42 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Do you mean hyperthyroidism?

Hyper often is accompanied by heart palpatations.

Hyper is a lot more dangerous and life threatening than hypo (I have hypo). Seeing as you are pregnant there isn't much that can be done at this point. From my knowledge you will have to wait until after delivery to treat it. The medications you can take are not safe in pregnancy (although if you are extremely hyper it is safer to take the meds than not - to not take them will make it much more likely that it will be fatal to you). The basic things that can/are done with hyperthryoidism, you can have meds to control it or you can have the thyroid gland radiated (killed with radiation). If you have the radiation you cannot go near other people for a few days and cannot have sex for a few weeks, cannot breastfeed, cannot get pregnant.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/thyroid.html

Thyroid disease sucks, it is hormonal, it affects all sorts of things and is often misdiagnosed. Often moms that are diagnosed with post partum depression actually have thyroid disease.

Good luck.

June 2nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the info - I go to the drs on Wednesday and would like to be as informed as possible before I get there.

Forever in our hearts

June 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
Regular
Hi. I'm also hypo and was diagnosed during my last pregnancy. I was at first misdiagnosed with hyper by my ob. I know that you can take PTU during pregnancy for hyperthyroid because that's what my OB was going to have me on. PTU is considered the safest drug for pregnant women to use to treat an overactive thyroid, however, it does have risks. The baby's thyroid may be affected by the use of PTU and cause the baby to have hypothyroid after birth, so it's important to take the smallest possible dose necessary to treat hyperthyroid. There are risks involved if you don't treat hyperthyroidism during pregnancy as well. There is a possibilty of miscarriage or premature birth. Your endocrinoligist will know what's best for you going by how severe your hyperthyroidism is.

Here is a link to the site that I found has a lot of information and is easy to understand. This way you can read more about it. Best wishes and hope I helped you some.

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/thyroid/pregnant.html

June 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Theresa Lynn - thank you so much for that link. I read it and printed it out so that I make sure that everything is handled the safest that it can be - and so I will be sure to make sure that everything is done correctly for the baby after he is born!

Forever in our hearts

June 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Regular
You're very welcome, I'm glad I could help.

You sound a lot like me. I have to know all I can about what is going on with me. Especially when I'm pregnant. When I was going through my tests and knowing there was something going on with my thyroid, I looked into it as much as I could before I went to the endocrinologist. He was very surprised at how much I had researched, especially since I had mixed results. According to my results I would have been both hyper and hypo; very strange I know. That's why I was diagnosed wrong by my OB.

Again, best wishes to you for a happy healthy rest of your pregnancy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search