Precipitous Labor and Birth

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Veteran
I am not sure where to ask so I'll try here! Has anyone had a precipitous birth? If so, what was your labor like for the next child? Was it quicker, did you get pain meds, did you use other ways to cope with the pain?

For my 14 mo old son, I went from 1 cm to 10 cm in 30 minutes and it was extremely intense! I had no pain mediciation since it progressed so quickly. They had barely started an IV. I blacked out so I don't remember him even being born. I am now pregnant again and I am kinda freaking out that this is gonna happen again!

Any advice or tips would be great!
January 19th, 2011, 09:11 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Mine wasn't that fast but I have a history of going from 3cm to birth in 30min. One of ny kids was almost born in the hall, another was born with no one there in the bed and my last was born so fast that although they were expecting it, they had no instruments ready. I know my mom had such fast labors they wouldn't let her go into labor and would induce her a week or so early. They were afraid she'd end up giving birth in the car.
I have a new OB so I'm going to have to talk to her and see what our plan will be. Just in case, I'm going to try and take a hypnobirthing class so I can handle things if I can't get an epidural.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
January 20th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Veteran
Wow! Glad to hear someone else had the same experience! I am hoping to make a plan with my dr at my 1st appt in February. I think I make take a Bradley Method class just in case theres no time for pain medication this time too. Hopefully, I'll be able to prepare my self better and won't be soo terrified this time around.
January 20th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any experience with this, but I wanted to say hello, welcome and congrats on your pregnancy!

February 27th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Hello. I am expecting my 5th little one. I have precipitous labors. My children are now 9 yrs (2/4/04), 5 yrs (11/2/07), 4 yrs (2/20/09), and 2 yrs (10/8/10), and last but not least EDD 4/22/13.

#1 was average, but a bit quick. He was about 10 hours. I was approximately 8 cm when I made it to hospital. Natural delivery (UNINTENTIONALLY). However, I labored at home and didn't even really realized I was in labor until it was almost to late. I walked through my house like a mad woman searching for her marbles. I was in and out the shower and constantly trying to poop, because I thought I was badly constipated. (I had constipation issues because of the iron supplement I was put on). I handled the pain well for a first timer.

#2 doesn't really count because I was so sick of being pregnant by 37 weeks I asked for an induction. They induced me @ 38 wks & 5 days. But still, he was only about 8 hr (considering my body wasn't ready to deliver.

Now for the QUICK labors... #3's labor was less than three hours long. Again I was impatient with pregnancy and took castor oil around 39 weeks 5days. I ended up a poopy mess with a delivery in the elevator LOL! By now I realized I had a pretty high threshold for L&D pain, because I only realize I'm in labor when I'm transitioning. I was asleep when my body woke me up and I was like uh-oh! I'm in labor!!! UH-OH!!!! I have to PUSH!!!! I drove myself to the hospital (husband was on the road -CDL driver). That was about a 15 min drive (doing about 95mph on I-95). I fussed with the OB triage nurses that I had to push. They would not listen to me, because I came in and was only 3cm dilated. They were reluctant to check me when I asked. When they did finally "get around to it" I was (as I suspected) crowning! I gave them an I-told-you-so look glare LOL. As they rolled me upstairs to the delivery suites I pushed the BIGGEST HEADED (think of Kazoo from the Flinstones <3) I had ever had.... On the elevator.... I signed my admitting papers after delivery LOL. I was probably in OB triage for about an hour before delivery.

#4 was actually quite "fun". Given my history, I knew what to expect with this one. My midwife joked that I should camp out at hospital parking lot my last 2 weeks. I don't think she was joking LOL. (I live in a state where providers are not allowed to deliver at home. Babies must be delivered in hospital or birth center). Again I woke up in the middle of the night with the urge to push. I called my mother-in-law who was my babysitter (husband was again over the road). I knew by the time she got there I was probably going to deliver in the car, so she called 911.

Here is where it gets funny....

So the dispatcher tells her to tell me to go outside and wait for ambulance. I do as told. Within the next 5-10 mins I see a fire truck rushing down my block. I look from side to side wondering "Where's the bloody fire!" When the pull up in front of MY HOUSE I was sooooo pissed. Smh. I cursed those poor men out to no avail! I remember calling them stupid fools, insolent dogs, dishonorably discharged medics (yes, I am from a military family).... The list probably went on. I preceded to ask why the ambulance didn't come?!? Why are firemen here?!? WTH?!? All of this was during contractions and they were holding me up, rocking me back and forth, and rubbing my back. LOL! They assured me the ambulance was on the way. They were able to get to my home first AND they had the equipment needed for keeping newborn safe and warm. I said cool. Seconds later the ambulance arrives. They were a crew of 3 or 4. The driver was a woman, and then the men were in the back with me. I believe that 2 of the guys were vet emt's but one was a rookie. And boy did that rookie make me giggle. Once I was on the truck they checked to see if I was crowning. I was not, but only because bag of water was bulging out. Anyway, when the vet said he didn't see a head, the rookie let out an accidental "Thank God!" I looked up at him like "Seriously dude?" The other Vet smacked him sharply and yelled pull over and let the baby drive. Get the woman back here pls. She was in hysterics by then. She tried very hard not to laugh, but told me later that I was cracking SOOO many jokes it was surreal.

Okay. So now we are at hospital and the emt's told OB Triage staff what was up an said I was a pleasure to work with LOL. Thankfully my chart now read history of precipitous labors, so I didn't have to go through the hassle of fussing at staff that I HAD TO PUSH. Once on the hospital bed the ladies checked me. And all you heard was GUSH! And next thing you hear is she's fully dilated. I reply, "Honey, I've been 10 cm for like 20 mins!" So they rush me upstairs and in the process one of the nurses SLIPPED on my waters. LOL I WAS CRACKING UP! I told her "Oh no boo. You are NOT getting workman's comp because of us!" She blushed and the other nurses were ROFL.... Until we looked down and noticed blood. Now I didn't freak (I am/was a midwifery student) but of course they got concerned. Baby simply flipped in elevator to a frank breech position. Once they had me in delivery room, they yelled "Oh no it's a butt!" I'm like so what? They are saying call or and prep for section..... I remember saying "The hell we are!"

So now we are in the OR. I am bartering like I work for American Pickers (show on history channel). I tell them "Listen. I'm already prepped for emergency section. What's it gonna hurt if I try(wink wink) and push. They are like fine... They give me all these instructions and I'm trying to "professional" given my situation of NOT wanting major abdominal surgery and all they had to do is give me a good dose of drugs via IV that was already in place and I was in THEIR control. So I politely say I have to push, and my little boy SHOOTS out like a cannon. My OB called him "Popcorn" from that day forward. I remember apologizing to the anesthesiologist that he couldn't get paid LOL! They rolled me back to delivery room and that was that. Again, I signed my admission papers after baby was here. :-D
February 27th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Hello. I am expecting my 5th little one. I have precipitous labors. My children are now 9 yrs (2/4/04), 5 yrs (11/2/07), 4 yrs (2/20/09), and 2 yrs (10/8/10), and last but not least EDD 4/22/13.

#1 was average, but a bit quick. He was about 10 hours. I was approximately 8 cm when I made it to hospital. Natural delivery (UNINTENTIONALLY). However, I labored at home and didn't even really realized I was in labor until it was almost to late. I walked through my house like a mad woman searching for her marbles. I was in and out the shower and constantly trying to poop, because I thought I was badly constipated. (I had constipation issues because of the iron supplement I was put on). I handled the pain well for a first timer.

#2 doesn't really count because I was so sick of being pregnant by 37 weeks I asked for an induction. They induced me @ 38 wks & 5 days. But still, he was only about 8 hr (considering my body wasn't ready to deliver.

Now for the QUICK labors... #3's labor was less than three hours long. Again I was impatient with pregnancy and took castor oil around 39 weeks 5days. I ended up a poopy mess with a delivery in the elevator LOL! By now I realized I had a pretty high threshold for L&D pain, because I only realize I'm in labor when I'm transitioning. I was asleep when my body woke me up and I was like uh-oh! I'm in labor!!! UH-OH!!!! I have to PUSH!!!! I drove myself to the hospital (husband was on the road -CDL driver). That was about a 15 min drive (doing about 95mph on I-95). I fussed with the OB triage nurses that I had to push. They would not listen to me, because I came in and was only 3cm dilated. They were reluctant to check me when I asked. When they did finally "get around to it" I was (as I suspected) crowning! I gave them an I-told-you-so look glare LOL. As they rolled me upstairs to the delivery suites I pushed the BIGGEST HEADED (think of Kazoo from the Flinstones <3) I had ever had.... On the elevator.... I signed my admitting papers after delivery LOL. I was probably in OB triage for about an hour before delivery.

#4 was actually quite "fun". Given my history, I knew what to expect with this one. My midwife joked that I should camp out at hospital parking lot my last 2 weeks. I don't think she was joking LOL. (I live in a state where providers are not allowed to deliver at home. Babies must be delivered in hospital or birth center). Again I woke up in the middle of the night with the urge to push. I called my mother-in-law who was my babysitter (husband was again over the road). I knew by the time she got there I was probably going to deliver in the car, so she called 911.

Here is where it gets funny....

So the dispatcher tells her to tell me to go outside and wait for ambulance. I do as told. Within the next 5-10 mins I see a fire truck rushing down my block. I look from side to side wondering "Where's the bloody fire!" When the pull up in front of MY HOUSE I was sooooo pissed. Smh. I cursed those poor men out to no avail! I remember calling them stupid fools, insolent dogs, dishonorably discharged medics (yes, I am from a military family).... The list probably went on. I preceded to ask why the ambulance didn't come?!? Why are firemen here?!? WTH?!? All of this was during contractions and they were holding me up, rocking me back and forth, and rubbing my back. LOL! They assured me the ambulance was on the way. They were able to get to my home first AND they had the equipment needed for keeping newborn safe and warm. I said cool. Seconds later the ambulance arrives. They were a crew of 3 or 4. The driver was a woman, and then the men were in the back with me. I believe that 2 of the guys were vet emt's but one was a rookie. And boy did that rookie make me giggle. Once I was on the truck they checked to see if I was crowning. I was not, but only because bag of water was bulging out. Anyway, when the vet said he didn't see a head, the rookie let out an accidental "Thank God!" I looked up at him like "Seriously dude?" The other Vet smacked him sharply and yelled pull over and let the baby drive. Get the woman back here pls. She was in hysterics by then. She tried very hard not to laugh, but told me later that I was cracking SOOO many jokes it was surreal.

Okay. So now we are at hospital and the emt's told OB Triage staff what was up an said I was a pleasure to work with LOL. Thankfully my chart now read history of precipitous labors, so I didn't have to go through the hassle of fussing at staff that I HAD TO PUSH. Once on the hospital bed the ladies checked me. And all you heard was GUSH! And next thing you hear is she's fully dilated. I reply, "Honey, I've been 10 cm for like 20 mins!" So they rush me upstairs and in the process one of the nurses SLIPPED on my waters. LOL I WAS CRACKING UP! I told her "Oh no boo. You are NOT getting workman's comp because of us!" She blushed and the other nurses were ROFL.... Until we looked down and noticed blood. Now I didn't freak (I am/was a midwifery student) but of course they got concerned. Baby simply flipped in elevator to a frank breech position. Once they had me in delivery room, they yelled "Oh no it's a butt!" I'm like so what? They are saying call or and prep for section..... I remember saying "The hell we are!"

So now we are in the OR. I am bartering like I work for American Pickers (show on history channel). I tell them "Listen. I'm already prepped for emergency section. What's it gonna hurt if I try(wink wink) and push. They are like fine... They give me all these instructions and I'm trying to "professional" given my situation of NOT wanting major abdominal surgery and all they had to do is give me a good dose of drugs via IV that was already in place and I was in THEIR control. So I politely say I have to push, and my little boy SHOOTS out like a cannon. My OB called him "Popcorn" from that day forward. I remember apologizing to the anesthesiologist that he couldn't get paid LOL! They rolled me back to delivery room and that was that. Again, I signed my admission papers after baby was here. :-D
February 28th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haha! Above stories cracked me up! I have had 3 now. I have 4 kiddos total. #1 was slow and didn't progress leading to an emergency section due to decels. Fertility issues and losses for the next 8 years, brings us to #2.

#2 - I light labored overnight, contractions not too bad 5-7 minutes apart, we took my son to school and I already had a 7:45 dr appointment so we went in with me using my lamaze breathing by then. Things were escalating, and the nurses and my doctor were making me annoyed, they didn't think it was actually time (granted we were 6 wks early). I was like, we are having a baby, TODAY, and SOON! The wheeled me to labor and delivery, checked me, said Oh you're 5 already. I was like, told ya so! Then my water broke and it was on, things escalated so quickly, and I had to have another section anyway because baby was transverse/breech (call it sideways for pete's sake). They ran me to OR, I could hardly sit still for the prep, laid me down and my doctor went to work and less than 10 minutes later we had a baby. So I went from having mild contractions around 6:00am, to mean ones, to baby by 10:30am.

#3 - Fastest and worst. Once again, I am high risk, baby is breech, I've been on bedrest for 2+ wks, we're still 4 wks early. Saturday morning, the kids get up around 7, I move from bed to couch, I realize I am having some contractions and they're decent ones. Decide I need to go to L&D but think I have plenty of time, we live 4 blocks from hospital now. Decide to shower. Bad idea, by the time I've washed my hair I've decided it is an EMERGENCY. I'm moaning and crying, we have to go NOW. I didn't even know if I was going to make it to the hospital. Get there, the stupid nurses once again don't believe me. I'm whipping off my clothes and jumping on the bed begging for drugs, the slow nurse who I want to strangle checks me and I'm complete w/ waters bulging. All of a sudden there are 5 people in the room trying to get me ready, and I'm crying and breathing through contractions trying not to push. Worst thing I've ever felt in my life! My doctor (who just happened to be leaving when I rolled in) says, well lets just see if we can have him right now instead of going for a section. Having never actually pushed a baby out, I'm freaking and continuing to breathe through contractions. Ultrasound shows baby is breech though, so they run me to the OR and it was too emergent they couldn't do an epidural or normal anesthesia so I had to be completely under. I woke up feeling like I had been run over by a steam roller. It was awful. In the end, I had gone from realizing I was having contractions to complete in less than 45 minutes, but had to wait and breathe through contractions for another 30-40 minutes. I tell you, I must be a sissy but it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life and I was compeltely irrational. LOL!

#4 - I was terrified of another birth like the last, so when I realized that I was having regular contractions I went in immediately, do not pass go, do not collect $200. I ran. I was 7wks early. They hooked me up to the machines, checked me and I was a 3-4. Monitor me for 30ish minutes and I was 7. Yup, you're going to have a baby. Duh, I know that! They didn't mess around this time, they prepped me and had me in the OR in 20 minutes or less maybe, and I was breathing hard through contractions when they did my spinal. My regular Perinatologist didn't even make it in, the on call doctor who happened to be there did my section. (It went really badly, but that's a whole nother story)

I am expecting #5 in June, and I am scared to death again. I do not want a labor and deliver like my last two. They were horrifying. I will once again RUN to L&D at the first sign of consistent contractions. They have all been different, but I intend to be very proactive to avoid any big issues. I super feel for these moms you hear having babies in cars, ambulances, elevators, home, etc. With my issues it would be very bad. I wish it was different and I was a pop them out without a hitch person, but I'm not, so I just do the best I can.

Good Luck! I hope it goes well for you!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search