34 week ob visit

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't usually update on my visits to the OB. For the most part, they are totally uneventful so, why bore you all? lol Well, today, I was annoyed with the doctor. I saw a doctor that I haven't met before and to say the least, I was not impressed. I guess he didn't bother even glancing at my chart before coming in the room. He walked in and said, "oh, you're VERY pregnant." I agreed and he had me lie down to listen to the hb. When I pulled up my shirt, he asked what all the bruises were from. I said, "I'm on lovenox for factor V leiden and history of dvt and 2 pe's." His mouth fell open and he said, "wow, I hope I'm not on call when you deliver." How unprofessional is that? Yes, I realize that my history is scary, but I don't like it when a doctor makes me feel like he's going to S--- himself when he hears it. That doesn't give me much confidence in him.

I really, really like my doctor but there are several in the group and I had the pleasure of meeting this one today. Since I'll more than likely be induced at 39 weeks, I shouldn't have to worry about getting someone other than my regular doctor that day, especially this guy!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
April 19th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Leffew's Avatar is baking!
Can we say awful bedside manner? UGH! I do not like the other OB in mine's practice. I had to see her once when my OB was out on maternity leave. I was having spotting at 10 weeks pregnant, so I was sent to the other doc's office to sit and talk. She walks in without looking in my chart, sits down, and says "so you're 10 weeks and bleeding. There isn't really much you can do. Miscarriages are very common. Begin the talk about how XYZ can not prevent it etc. So I tell her to look at my chart, -insert the AHA moment- "Why didn't you tell me you're a high risk patient?" Uh, it's your job to look at my chart before speaking with me so you're familiar with the person. WIth every chart, there is a person attached. Briefly checking my history, she apologized and offered an ultrasound. But she was just plain cold about it. I refuse to see her.

If my OB is unavailable for delivery, the midwives can assist with the medical backup from the MFM department.

I hope when the time comes, you get your doctor and everything goes smoothly!

<--- again!
April 20th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Man, that stinks! It is never fun to come across a doctor who is scared by your medical history. When my son (who has no spleen) got sick in January with a fever, his regular doc was out of town and the woman who saw him was clearly terrified and had no idea what to do for an asplenic kid with a fever. We ended up being scared unnecessarily. It makes such a difference to have a doc who takes the time to learn about your condition and know what to do, rather than just panicking.

April 20th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't expect anything from this doctor, either! Just listen to the heartbeat, measure my belly, see ya later, bye! At the very least, even if it is a scary diagnosis, he could have held his composure and acted confident. I even said to him , "oh, don't worry...my pregnancy and delivery were totally uneventful with my daughter (who was sitting right there). My clots were wayyyyy before I ever got pregnant. Everything will be fine." Why was I the one doing the reassuring? It was so backwards! Oh well, it's over but I might mention this to my regular doctor, who heads the practice, that I am not comfortable with this guy.

Beth, I think it would make it even worse if it were my kid. How scary!! Just because someone doesn't know about a condition, they should do what they can to make you comfortable in their abilities to find someone who does!!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
April 20th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh my! What a moron! I swear, sometimes people do not think before they speak. I would definately mention it to your doc. It needs to be brought to this doctor's attention that maybe he needs to give a little more thought to what escapes his mouth.

There are 2 docs in my group I do not care for. One I outright refuse to see because he completely treated me like a number the first time I saw him, did not even introduce himself. The other walked in my room the night before my induction, looked at me and said "gestational diabetes". I corrected him, and then called him out on seeing a big girl and making an assumption. Why can't there be a group where all of the docs are amazing?

April 20th, 2011, 01:31 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Of the 4 doctors in my OB's practice I like 3!

When I was induced with DD, my doc was out of town but started my induction before she left, nice and slow, and planned on delivering me when she got back two days later. But the idiot OB was the doc on call for the office decided that I was moving too slow and upped my induction (started Pitocin and put it way too high!). This caused me to need a c/s. My OB was so angry when she returned that she was waiting for the bad OB to come check on me. The nurses told me later, that my OB ripped the bad OB up one side and down the other (and she never raises her voice)!

It was unpleasant that tainted my entire birth experience! My OB actually put it on my chart that under no circumstances is he to see me for any reason!

I agree that some docs have no clue (and shouldn't see patients!)

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search