Pregnant with the Mirena

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2011, 07:23 AM
I got the Mirena IUD in November of 2008. I had my annual exam on March 22nd, 2011 and was told my IUD was in place. The very next day I started spotting for the first time in over 2 years! 2 weeks later it was still happening. The doctor told me to give it another 2 weeks and to then call back if I was still bleeding and they would schedule an ultrasound. Another 2 weeks later, I called back because I was still bleeding! He scheduled an ultrasound for the next morning and told me I should take a pregnancy test to "rule that out". Well 5 pregnancy tests later I am definitely pregnant! My HCG levels are 150 as of yesterday. They couldn't see anything definitive on the ultrasound, probably because it's so early. I must have gotten pregnant during the bleeding! Which would make me 2 weeks from conception. I'm so nervous and confused right now. I'm supposed to go in tomorrow for another blood test to see if my numbers increase or decrease. The doctor says 150 is really low. If my numbers do increase they want to pull the IUD immediately. What are the chances I'm going to miscarry no matter what? I'm really worried now. I can't believe after 10 years with my significant other, 6 weeks before our wedding this is all happening...but it's obviously for a reason. So much to deal with...would appreciate any words of wisdom or to hear from others that have been in this situation.
April 21st, 2011, 10:34 AM
icarryyourheart's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did they check to see if your levels are doubling? I'd stay on your doctor and request another ultrasound in a week, regardless of what your levels do, to be sure the pregnancy is in the right place. I'd also head right to the ER if you have any pain or unusual bleeding.

I don't want to scare you, but I'd be more worried about an ectopic than a miscarriage. Granted miscarriages are no fun but an ectopic is a more serious health emergency.

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

April 21st, 2011, 11:14 AM
The blood test is being done as we speak. So I'm going a little crazy today. I'll hear something in the next couple hours. I will definitely stay on my doctor as this all continues. Thank you for your comment!
April 21st, 2011, 12:40 PM
icarryyourheart's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck!! Hoping for a positive outcome for you.

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

April 21st, 2011, 08:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hello and welcome. From what I have read they suggest that if at all possible the mirena should be removed. I agree with the pp, making sure the pregnancy is in the right place is very important since there is an increased risk of ectopic pregnant with the mirena.
I hope that every thing turns out ok! Please keep us posted!

April 22nd, 2011, 07:29 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I got pregnant with the mirena. In my case, they took it out then did an u/s to make sure it wasn't ectopic. I then had weekly u/s's until we saw a heartbeat. For 4wks pregnant, 150 is normal. Keep us updated.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
April 25th, 2011, 08:41 AM
My numbers were 182 last Thursday, so not a significant enough jump from 150. They also found a very questionable area in my right tube that has been causing me some pain. This along with still not seeing anything in the uterus has lead them to believe this is, in fact an ectopic pregnancy. The mirena was removed on Friday and I was also given 2 shots of methotrexate. My numbers are being checked again today, the hope that they will go down now. Kind of a sad weekend, even though this wasn't the plan quite yet, the thought of being pregnant was exciting. I guess we can now look forward to our wedding and being able to actually try for a normal pregnancy sans IUD a little later in the year. thank you for all of your posts and concerns!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search