Anemia

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2011, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So I'm getting more and more anemic as time goes on, and expecting to be told I need an IV drip here soon, since I'm already taking iron twice a day on top of my prenatal with iron. Anybody else dealing with anemia in their pregnancy? How did your doctors handle it for you?

July 21st, 2011, 08:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
oh man, you must be constpated! that was my first thought, sorry. I wasn't anemic during pregnancy but because of gastric bypass, if i don't take all the iron i'm supposed to, , i get really, really anemic. in addition to taking iron twice a day and a prenatal with iron, i eat iron-rich foods, like spinach, broccoli and bok choi, several times a week. also, we only cook with cast iron skillets so it's absorbed into the food a bit. ( i read that somewhere)

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
July 21st, 2011, 10:17 AM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was pretty anemic with my first son. Took iron 2x a day, and craved red meat like I couldn't believe. I, who was pretty much vegetarian, and if I did have meat (and I'm talking only burgers, bacon, and fowl), it had to be cooked to a crisp. Then I started craving big fat juicy bloody steak. Talk about gross, but I ate it! Like AmyLM, I just started eating lots of iron heavy foods, and it never got bad enough that my doctor was worried we should do anything else.

I hope yours improves Beth! Not like we all don't have enough issues without having to throw constipation caused by iron in there.

July 21st, 2011, 03:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh yeah, the constipation is not fun. I don't have it too bad, since I was taking one iron supplement a day before I got pregnant, but it's not good either. My step-mother-in-law told me that having an apple a day would help with the constipation, so I'm going to try that.

I'm also doing the cast iron skillet thing (our teflon pans got old about a year ago and we decided to switch to cast iron) and you can't imagine how many cheeseburgers and spinach salads I eat these days. And anytime we go out to dinner, I have whatever the steakiest item on the menu is.

July 23rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
Crystal_Lynn's Avatar Ari and Zev's Mommy
I'm not anemic, but Ari has to take iron vitamins for slight anemia. I read somewhere that if you take the vitamins with drinks high in vitamin C, orange juice for example, it helps to absorb the iron into your body better than things like milk or tea. "Tea can cause iron absorption to drop by 60 percent and coffee can cause a 50 percent decrease in iron uptake." Good luck.

.My Pregnancy Blog.Last update: 01.05.12.

Some babies are born to soon and/or too sick. Arm yourself with knowledge, visit marchofdimes.com!
July 24th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't realize milk was an issue. I've been taking it not around meal time, and with a vitamin C supplement, and always with water, but I do drink a lot of milk with meals. I wonder if that's contributing?

July 24th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
oh yeah, don't take calcium at the same time as iron. the calcium keeps the iron from absorbing!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
July 24th, 2011, 11:40 AM
raisininthesun's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to raisininthesun
I'm anemic, but all I do is extra iron for now. I can't eat too many leafy vegetables because I'm on a blood thinner, lol. Well, I can eat the same amount that I ate before which wasn't a lot.

I've never had an iron IV before.
July 24th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisininthesun View Post
I'm anemic, but all I do is extra iron for now. I can't eat too many leafy vegetables because I'm on a blood thinner, lol. Well, I can eat the same amount that I ate before which wasn't a lot.

I've never had an iron IV before.

Just curious, I'm on coumadin and haven't been told to not eat too many leafy veggies. I've never heard of that, can you tell me why? Thanks!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
July 24th, 2011, 02:27 PM
raisininthesun's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to raisininthesun
Leafy greens are rich in vitamin K, from what I understand, which makes clotting easier. If you have too much, you're pretty much negating the effect of the blood thinner.

Now, if you always eat the same amount (every day), then your amount of blood thinner than be adjusted accordingly.
July 24th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
oh yeah, the vitamin k. Thanks for reminding me. I usually eat the same amount. That's good to know!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
July 30th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just have to whine for a minute--I am SO worn out and I know it's the anemia. I am really hoping they give me IV iron soon, the pills clearly aren't cutting it.

July 30th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Crystal_Lynn's Avatar Ari and Zev's Mommy
I'm bummed that you are so worn out Beth. Have you tried taking the pills at different times during the day? Maybe that will help them to work better.

.My Pregnancy Blog.Last update: 01.05.12.

Some babies are born to soon and/or too sick. Arm yourself with knowledge, visit marchofdimes.com!
August 2nd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Lynn View Post
I'm bummed that you are so worn out Beth. Have you tried taking the pills at different times during the day? Maybe that will help them to work better.
Yep, I've got them as spaced out as I can at this point. I'm also on thyroid meds and you can't take those at the same time as iron, so I wake up in the morning and take the thyroid pill, then 4 hours later I take an iron with a vitamin C (helps absorption), then 4 1/2 hours after that I take another iron with a vitamin C, then at bedtime I take a prenatal with iron. Still not helping...but hoping I can get topped off with an IV soon so I feel better!

August 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just went through this, but differently. They checked my bw during prenatal bw, but didn't again until ten mins before my c/s. My numbers were really low going in, I ended up needing two transfusions the day after my c/s, and now I'm taking 300mg of iron three times a day with meals, no constipation since I'm eating lots of fruits and vegs. I was so tired and short of breath the last three months, but they all said it was normal since I was pg, yeah right.
August 2nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieJ View Post
I just went through this, but differently. They checked my bw during prenatal bw, but didn't again until ten mins before my c/s. My numbers were really low going in, I ended up needing two transfusions the day after my c/s, and now I'm taking 300mg of iron three times a day with meals, no constipation since I'm eating lots of fruits and vegs. I was so tired and short of breath the last three months, but they all said it was normal since I was pg, yeah right.
I swear if one more medical professional tells me it's normal to be exhausted all the time and barely be able to get off the couch for an entire pregnancy, I'm going to snap! Seriously, I can't even get through a day at work, and I have a cushy desk job--no way that is "normal." I had a blood draw today and I'm fully expecting my levels to be low enough to warrant IV iron, which I'll probably start getting tomorrow.

August 3rd, 2011, 06:27 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
How did yesterday's turn out ?

August 3rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurSweetLabs View Post
How did yesterday's turn out ?
EKG was normal, so they took blood to test for thyroid, hematocrit, and a full iron panel. Still waiting on results (they should be calling me sometime today) but if I'm not anemic enough to need IV iron, I'll eat my hat. And go in for more tests to figure out why I'm short of breath and lightheaded and too exhausted to do anything.

August 6th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be winded the last four months just walking up the stairs to our bedrooms (2-storey), it was crazy-I wasn't leaving the house with the kids by myself since just buckling them all in carseats would leave me exhausted and needing a nap. I can't believe how much better I feel after two transfusions--I hope they find something that works for you
August 8th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd better eat that hat, because it turns out it was electrolytes instead of anemia. I've been drinking gatorade (GROSS) like it's going out of style, and I feel a million times better. Now if only I could find a flavor that doesn't taste like sweat mixed with kool-aid...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search