Membrane Stripping question

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm high risk due to history of misscarriage, PTL, and GD but mostly the PTL. I had a Dr's appt today. I see a practice and you rotate though the Dr's so you see them all and whom ever is on call delivers you.

Today I ended up seeing my least favorite dr in the group. I hadn't seen him for around 3 months because I just kept getting the other Dr's. I'm pretty sure he didn't even check my file. I told him that I had been having some contractions over the past few days and he said he wanted to check me.

He set everything up and checked me. This time it hurt really bad, like take your breath away/screaming bad. I asked why it hurt and he told me that he stripped my membranes. I lost it to say the least. I'd just had a 17p shot minutes before he came in, plus I'm not 37 weeks yet. It also says in my file in bolded lettering that I don't want any interventions unless I ask for them or that they are 110% lifesaving.

I'm wondering if any of you with history of PTL had your membranes stipped and if it worked or not?

August 3rd, 2011, 07:26 PM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
Oh GOSH

I think that I would FLIP out and ask to see another DR tomorrow. I hope that it doesn't cause you to go into labor now

August 3rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow, your only 35 weeks. He isn't supposed to do that inless he ask's, Lets hope nothing happens, when u go back in a week i would be telling someone what he did. and ask never to see him again i would be so upset

August 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That actually JUST happened to a friend of mine, only she was 37 weeks at the time. Fortunately she didn't go into labor, and at her 40-week u/s they found her fluid was low, induced her that day, and she has a healthy baby (she just delivered yesterday). But she had about the same reaction you did, since she too had a history of PTL--hers was due to PPROM--so she spent the last 3 weeks terrified of having another preemie. SHe wrote a letter to the practice complaining about the doctor. And at least in her situation she was 37 weeks and not 35.

I would definitely complain to the practice at the very least. If you did deliver early I'd probably also invest in a lawyer, because there is no way that stripping membranes at 35 weeks on someone currently receiving P17 shots AND with a history of PTL can possibly meet the standard of care.

Did the doctor even give you an excuse? I mean seriously WTH?!?!

August 4th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would have lost my mind! Demand to see the head of the group as soon as possible and file a formal complaint. He performed a procedure on you without your express consent and that is not legal. I am so angry for you, I cannot image how mad you must be!

August 4th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Everyone in the practice knows what happened.I was screaming too loudly for anyone not to hear at him. I filed a complant at the hospital before I left. 2 of the other Dr's that came in to see what was wrong noted in my file he was not to see me anymore and personally told the desk lady not to shedual me with him and to notify the after hours service that if he's the one on call to immeadeately notify himself and the female Dr that I like so much.

I'm going to contact a lawyer that's a friend of mine tommorow to see if there is a case.

So far nothing has happened so maybe I'm lucky!

August 5th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
oh i would have flipped out!! i'm so sorry that happened. it sounds like you and the practice are taking the right steps. i hope his stupid mistake doesn't cause any problems for you and baby.

Mom to 4 beautiful kids! 3 on Earth and 1 in heaven. Our little girl, Matilda Hope had Down Syndrome. She was born with TMD, a disease that is like leukemia. She fought that and beat it. Then, she had liver failure. She beat that, too. On October 17, 2014 she had NEC, necrotizing enterocolitis. My baby went to Heaven on October 19, 2014. She lived exactly one month.
August 5th, 2011, 03:27 PM
LookingGlassAlice's Avatar Pagan FTM
Im so sorry this happen. I hope you have a case because he should know better!!!!
More fundamental than religion is our basic human spirituality. We have a basic human disposition towards love, kindness and affection, irrespective of whether we have a religious framework or not. When we nurture this most basic human resource – when we set about cultivating those basic inner values which we all appreciate in others, then we start to live spiritually. - Dalai Lama

[/url]
August 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
It stinks that this doctor thought he knew better than anyone else! This makes me so angry- mostly because I had a doctor think he knew better than my regular OB and it caused me plenty of issues with my delivery. I'm glad that you complained and will not have to see this jerk again. T&P with you for no consequences from his stupidity.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
August 5th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I spoke with a lawyer this morning and pretty much after 72 hours any case that could have been made went out the window. Really after that it could eaily be claimed that I went into labor on my own. Also even if anything had happenend and I had gone into labor it would be very hard to prove that I wasn't already in labor. The fact that I've been treated for PTL so many times, the fact that I'm 2cm and 75% effaced would come into question, and the fact that I have a long mental health history dosen't help any. Basicly he said to wait and see what the hospital does and that it would cost more money to make a case than I'd ever get. Plus the odds of me winning are very slim given the above. It would basicly be he said/ she said and the medical part would be in his favor.

August 9th, 2011, 08:01 AM
raisininthesun's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to raisininthesun
That's horrible that the doctor did that! I really do hope your baby is born healthy and that you're able to take her home right away.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search