Weird food stuff

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I have been experiencing a weird thing regarding food recently. In the morning, I get up early and usually have a bowl of cereal and then something more substantial with protein a few hours later.
There have been two or three times recently (this morning included) when, if I what more than three hours to eat my second breakfast, I get really shaky feeling and almost a little dizzy. The problem gets better as soon as I get something in my stomach.
I'm wondering if people think this sounds like a normal pregnancy thing or if I should possibly be concerned about gestational diabetes.
I do not normally have high or low blood sugar issues...although I do love my sweets and others in my family have challenges with this..although no one has full blown diabetes.
What do you guys think?
Definitely going to mention it to my docs at my next appointment on Monday.
I appreciate any input.
August 26th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It may have nothing to do with GD, but it is a blood sugar thing. When you get that shaky/dizzy feeling, that means your blood sugar is too low.

It's the cereal that does it. Cereal is the worst culprit for making your blood sugar drop like mad not long after you eat it. It happens to me several times a year.

You can fix it but drinking the milk in the bowl or having a glass of juice or milk to go with the cereal. Or eat two bowls. Either that or just eat something more substantial than cereal. Try oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat, toaster strudels, pop tarts, etc.

You've just come from a fast (hence the term breakfast) so you'll need to replenish your energy by eating a good breakfast. Breakfast is the time to eat carbs and protein. Carbs is what our body uses for energy, but eat better for you carbs like wheat toast or shredded wheat cereal. Spread some peanut butter on the toast and add some apple slices to that.

Also, the next time your blood sugar drops, if it's going to take a bit for you to really get something substantial into your stomach then, grab some juice or caffeine free soda then grab something bready like fritos chips, crackers, bread slices, etc. Don't fill your stomach up, just drink a about a cup of the liquid and have a small portion of the bread. The sugary drink will kick in quick and the bread will help sustain you until you can get to an actual meal.

The first time this ever happened to me I was 14 I believe and my friend and I had gotten up and eaten two waffles each at noon. Then we spent the day at the movies watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Pirates of the Caribbean (or it might have been League of Extraordinary Gentleman). By 6pm I was feeling like I had a case of stage fright. Shaky, dizzy, a little nauseous. I had no idea I was hungry because my stomach never growled. But I hadn't eaten in six hours so me and my friend skipped out on the rest of Harry Potter (having already seen it three times) and walked to Wendy's which was in the same parking lot. After I'd gotten some soda in me I felt fine.

So just make sure your breakfast is substantial. If you only want a one bowl of cereal, be sure to add in some toast and drink some milk or juice. That will keep you for a few hours until lunch or a snack.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

August 28th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I get like that if I don't eat, but I don't have GD--passed the 1-hour test several weeks back.

August 30th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm 100% with Alaska-Su. Sounds related more to hypoglycemia, which is low blood sugar, than to GD which is characterized by higher blood sugars. I've had GD, diagnosed and closely monitored with my last pregnancy, and undiagnosed but on the edge enough that they checked my sugars at every appointment. I adhere to a low glycemic diet which works for me since my sugars run high, but would be terrible for you if you run low. Sounds like you need to do as suggested, and maybe pick a less sugary cereal (sugary cereals cause crashes), pick something a bit better like the toast with peanut butter and a piece of fruit, and then be sure you get that mid-morning snack a couple hours later. Alaska-Su was spot on with have some juice or a regular soda when you feel shaky like that, which will bring your sugar up quick, and something w/ a lower carb count that is going to be better sustaining, like bread or crackers. Something that works well to keep in your purse may be those crackers that already have peanut butter or cheese between them.

Good luck! You should be able to regulate it with diet changes, but for sure mention it to your doctor.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search