May be joining you ladies

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2011, 07:40 PM
justme907's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi All!!

I'm Jenn :-) I may be joining you all. I am heterozygous factor V Leiden. I found out 2 years ago after my 23 year old little brother had a stroke ( he is fine now). I have my consultation with the high risk dr on the 21st. Anyway my question for anyone put there is...am I definitely going to have to give myself injections?? I've been doing a lit if reading and that seems to be the direction. This is my 2nd pregnancy, I have a 4 year old ( today is her bday!!!) no complications at all andno trouble getting preggo I've also had several surgeries aside from my giving birth to my DD.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!!

A very nervous....jenn
thank you BAM!
September 7th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome! I am Liz and I also have FVL. Every lady that I have known with FVL has done anticoagulant injections during pregnancy and some while TTC. I was on oral blood thinners prior to ttc and was then switched to injectables. I have a history of clotting, hence being on the blood thinners even when not pregnant. If you do have to do the shots, they are really not bad. They become part of your daily routine. I never thought I would be able to stick myself with a needle, and it took a while with DH giving me the shots, but now it is old hat. There are several other ladies here who are on blood thinners and they have lots of great advice to offer!

September 8th, 2011, 07:00 AM
justme907's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you! I have no history of clotting...I only found out after my brother did. Is there no low dose aspirin regimen?
thank you BAM!
September 8th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Jenn! Welcome! I'm a Jen too, and I also have FVL. I had one son without any problems too, but then a string of losses. I did the low dose aspring regimen while ttc and then was switched to injectible blood thinners as soon as I got a positive home test. This is my third pregnancy on Lovenox, and since I've been on it, I've had no problems thankfully. Like Liz said, there are quite a few of us here on them, and it really does get to be pretty routine and nothing to worry about after a while. Beginning is always hard though. Ask away if you have any questions once you get started. GL!!!

September 8th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome! I have FVL and a history of clotting, too, and am on blood thinners when not pregnant. It's my understanding that if you are known to have FVL, then you'll have to do injections when pregnant even if you don't have a history of clotting. Like the others have said, it becomes a part of your daily routine and not as big of a deal, eventually, as you think it is in the beginning. Good luck! There are plenty of us here that have been through it successfully and have chosen to do it again. If it was that bad, we wouldn't do it more than once!!
DS: 2
DD3: 9/19/14-10/19/14

Mom to 4 beautiful kids! 3 on Earth and 1 in heaven. Our little girl, Matilda Hope had Down Syndrome. She was born with TMD, a disease that is like leukemia. She fought that and beat it. Then, she had liver failure. She beat that, too. On October 17, 2014 she had NEC, necrotizing enterocolitis. My baby went to Heaven on October 19, 2014. She lived exactly one month.
September 8th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say hello and welcome, and congrats on your pregnancy!!!
~Beth in Seattle

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search