High Risk? Outter Cervix Open?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Bridgette
Kinda hoping some others may have experienced this during one of their pregnancies. This is my first pregnancy and the first OBGYN I went to during my first appointed during the exam freaking out and said my cervix was open and she expressed a great amount of concern, scheduled me for a ultrasound, and refused to continue to the appointment until she was sure a baby was still in there.

So I went ahead and got the ultrasound at a great place and they were shocked at the response my doctor had. Another Obsterician heard my story and he said if it would set my mind to ease even though it wasn't part of the things they usually offered lol that he would PERSONALLY feel and check himself. So I jumped on the opportunity and let him. He said it was as he expected that he has done thousands of exams and he believes my doctor was probably on the newer side. He said that the outter part of my cervix is very slightly open but the inner part is shut tight exactly as it is suppose to be. He said that it was common for women who have had a child before but even though I hadn't he didn't feel it was strange.

So has anyone else had this issue? My doctor obgyn called me recently saying that I'd have to be seen by a high risk doctor. While the OBGYN at the hospital who checked me disagreed vehementantly. Do any of you know about this? I have a third doctor I'm going to see but I'd like to get as much information as possible.
September 30th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't heard of it before, that is interesting. With this pregnancy, they monitored my cervix closely because my first born was a preemie and they wanted to make sure my cervix was behaving, but dilating was never something they found (until this week as i get closer to delivery). Might be worth getting a different opinion from another doc, high risk or otherwise, and if it turns out your regular OBGYN doesn't know what she is talking about, finding a new one! You are still early enough along that a switch in docs wouldn't be a huge deal if it becomes necessary.

Wishing you a long and healthy pregnancy!

September 30th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Bridgette
Oh I already changed docs. Aside from my feeling she made a bad call she also did NOT inform me about the results of the ultrasound or schedule a new appointment with me like she promised and left me hanging for 4 days believing I was miscarrying. So I have an appointment with the new OB this coming tuesday.
October 1st, 2011, 08:29 AM
raisininthesun's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to raisininthesun
WIth my first preemie, my cervix funneled, which means it opened on the inside first. I'm glad you changed doctors, and hopefully all that will happen is that they keep an eye on you.

If just the outer part is open, hopefully the inner will stay closed. I've heard a lot of nurses mention to me that sometimes women don't stay dialated if it's only a small amount, or they stay like that for a really long time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search