Any tips on how to avoid PPROM again?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2011, 12:41 PM
sweets's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi all,

I had PPROM with my daughter a year and a half ago. At 25w we discovered I had virtually no water left (one 1cm pocket), I spent the next three weeks in hospital on bedrest and delivered her at 28w1d. She is now a happy and healthy 18 month old

Well I just discovered we are expecting again. I have a high risk obgyn who I don't see until the end of November (at 12 weeks). I will also see a GP in the mean time.

Do any of you have any tips or ideas on how to avoid PPROM again? We never knew what caused it the first time, though my theory is that it was due to flying to and from Jamaica around 21 weeks.

I have read all sorts on the computer from: no lifting things over 10lbs, no baths, no swimming, no sex, no exercise etc. I want to be preventative as much as possible (I am going to hold off on the zumba classes), but I have a child that needs to be picked up and I would like to go for walks.

Any information would be appreciated,

Kylie

----------------------------------------
Kylie (37), DH (35) Married since September 5, 2009
DD Chloe born at 28 weeks on April 10, 2010.
October 5th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Regular
I know that they will likely offer you P17 shots based on any condition that resulted in a premature birth. There are a lot of women on here who have taken them successfully. I declined them, as I had twins who were premature, but subsequently had a full-term birth without the shots (they weren't even available when I last gave birth!). I have other medical conditions now (plus AMA), that puts me in the "high risk" department, but the conditions I have have not been definately linked to PPROM or prematurity. As for limiting activity, if you get the shots, I imagine you would not have to do so....
October 6th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I PPROMd with my son at about 27 weeks and delivered 3 days later. I am now 39 weeks pregnant with my second. This time around, I also avoided air travel (last time, I went on a business trip a few days before my water broke) and I got the P17 shots. They also kept a very close eye on my cervix to watch for shortening until 32 weeks. Otherwise, it was a fairly normal pregnancy for me, didn't need bed rest or pelvic rest. I would definitely recommend talking to a high risk doc about what happened last time and what kind of care they would recommend for you this time around. Having that conversation with the perinatologist who delivered my son was really helpful for me!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search