A little bump in the road

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Hi everyone-
wellthere's been a small bump in the road for me....
I am 24wks today and everything had been going well with this pregnancy until last Monday.
Here's the story: I got a prenatal massage on Monday afternoon from a massage therapist who told me she had experience working w pregnant ladies. The massage felt great and I the rest of the afternoon was totally fine. That night I went to bed around 9:30 and was up every 1/2 to pee. Some would come out but I kept feeling like I was unable to completely evacuate. I also had a weird fluttering feeling pretty low, right above my pubic bone. Finally at 2am I called the doc who thought that it may be a UTI and the fluttering could be bladder spasms. I finally got to bed and went to work the next morning. The pee and fluttering feelings had subsided alot but I made an appt for that afternoon to see the doc. I went in, fully expecting them to give me some antibiotics and send me on my way. No such luck! The urine was negative for a UTI and my bp was up...reading 130/80 and then 148/94 and when they checked my cervical length (which I requested-they almost weren't going to do it!?!) it read 2.2. A week earlier it had been 3.5. They put me on Procardia for the BP and possible contractions and total bedrest til I deliver in Feb. It has been pretty shocking and emotional but I feel like I'm in a good place right now. On the plus side, baby appears to be doing great, cervix while shortened is tightly closed, fluttering feeling was gone by Weds morning and subsequent visits to the doc indicate that meds and bedrest are doing the trick. Cervix gaining a small bit of length and bp coming down...today it was 146/74. As difficult as bedrest is, I just remind myself that it totally beats the alternatives of either bedrest in the hospital or having another preemie or who knows what else. While I don't think that the massage necessarily caused the events, it may have brought out some underlying stuff that was going on (likely a blessing in disguise). So if anyone is considering massage during their pregnancy, I would just advise using extreme caution. The other thing I wanted to share was that since the incident, the only other time I felt those minor flutterings was a few days later after drinking "Pregnancy tea" which has raspberry leaf as a main ingredient. Raspberry leaf is supposed to be good for the uterus, toning it, etc but for me it seems that although it's not supposed to bring on contractions, it seems for my body that appears to be inclined towards preterm labor, it is not such a good thing. Again,just my experience but thought I would share in case it's helpful to anyone else.
October 24th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry you had this bump in the road, but so glad you are able to stay positive and that you seem to be doing better! Did they talk about doing a circulate?

October 25th, 2011, 08:41 AM
did you mean cerclage? I asked but they said I was too close to the 24wk cut off. Honestly, I'm glad for that! 'd rather lye on my back for four months than go through that. I think I would be nervous every second that something would go wrong with it.
October 25th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Darn autocorrect on my iPad...yes, I did mean cerclage. I am glad the bed rest is helping, that is a good sign! FYI, at one point my cervix started shortening and they started to mentally prepare me in case it kept up, but at the next appointment it was longer again. I hope it is the same for you and that the rest of your pregnancy goes as smoothly as possible!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search