We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I have posted on here a little bit, mostly earlier in my pregnancy, because I have a clotting disorder and have been on Lovenox. Now I have an entirely new issue.
My blood pressure had been creeping up into the pre-hypertension ranges over the course of my pregnancy, and last week at the OB, it was high enough that she sent me over to L&D, where it remained high enough (mostly 140s/80s with some spikes into 150s/90s) that they admitted me for pre-e testing.
I had 2 consecutive 24 hour urine tests and both came back showing no proteinuria. I had 3 sets of pre-e labs run and all came back within normal limits, although my uric acid is creeping up and is in the high end of normal. They sent me home on Labetalol, and without the stress of the hospital, my pressures have remained good. I'm going back tomorrow to get more labs run and to turn in another 24 hour urine collection.
Different doctors during my hospital stay seemed to disagree about what my labs meant. The issue appears to be the rising uric acid without proteinuria. Some doctor's seem to think it is already pre-e, while others think that without proteinuria it remains (at the moment) gestational hypertension. Does anyone have any experience with this?
And what have your doctor's recommendations been with regards to when to induce for either gestational hypertension or mild pre-e? My doctors seem to induce for gestational hypertension at 38 weeks, but for pre-e (even mild pre-e) at 36 weeks, but most things I have read have recommended waiting until 37 weeks if things are stable.
I don't have any experience with pre-e but I know some of the other moms here do and hopefully they will chime in...keeping my fingers crossed that the meds help and you are able to keep your BP down and keep the little one cooking a bit longer! Have they talked about doing an amino to check for lung development?
Thanks for the response They haven't talked about an amnio, but from the attitudes of the MFMs at the hospital, I consider myself extremely lucky to not have delivered my baby at 35 weeks 4 days. They seem to automatically induce for pre-e once you approach 36 weeks.
My labs today looked good, so at least we get to hold out a little longer!
I have chronic hypertension and had pre-e with my last pregnancy. I was diagnosed once they found protein in my urine and I had a crapyp set of labs. I was 37 weeks then and was induced. I do not understand why your doc would induce for gestational hypertension at all. For pre-e it makes sense, but if you are just having hypertesion issues, as long as it can be controlled by meds, and induction for the hypertension seems odd to me.
Yeah it seems weird to me, too, but my doctor seems to be the least aggressive one around here. If I was with any other OB in the area, I am positive I would have already been induced. Thanks for the input!