17P shots

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2011, 11:36 AM
Regular
Hi everyone,

Quick background: This is my 8th pregnancy, 5th baby. Here's the summary:
DS1: 40 week - no issues
DD1: 34 weeks PROM (ruptured at 33 weeks)
DS2: 32 weeks PROM (ruptured at 31 weeks)
Loss #1: 14 weeks
Loss #2: 16 weeks
DS3: 32 weeks PROM (ruptured at 32 weeks)
Loss #3: 7 weeks. Heptopic pregnancy (2 embryo's implanted, 1 in tube, 1 in uterus).

As you can see, I have issues staying pg starting at 31 weeks.. My last preemie was in 2006

This time, my doc suggested the progesterone shots (aka 17P) starting at 16 weeks & continuing weekly until 36 weeks.

I'm all for keeping this little one in as long as possible, so I"m leaning towards the shots. However, from everything I've read, there haven't been long term studies regarding the possible effects to the baby.

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts about this? Any where you can point me to do some additional research?

TIA!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Last edited by karma459; December 21st, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
December 21st, 2011, 02:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi there! I'm a PROM mom too, my first was born at 27 weeks 2 days after I PROMd at 26 weeks 6 days. In my second pregnancy, I had the shots starting at I think 18 weeks and lasting until 36 weeks, and my daughter was born at 40 weeks 4 days. No idea if the shots did the trick or if the PROM with my oldest was a fluke...in terms of effects to my daughter, I haven't seen any. She's been totally healthy and developmentally normal so far. That said, she's only 2 months old, so, if there were to be long-term issues it's still pretty early to know, but honestly, it's not something I have been worrying about at all.

FYI, the shots hurt (though not as much as the steroid shots), AND they made me insane moody. Like, the worst PMS mood swings ever, only instead of every month, they were every week. DH learned to be gentle with me on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays, because that's when I was nuts. It got a little better as the pregnancy went on, but not much.

December 21st, 2011, 04:52 PM
Regular
Thanks so much! I remember the Steroid shots.. along with the mag and ... what else was it?? don't remember... just know they were miserable!

I"ve read that b/c they are compounded in an "oil" based solution, they are thick and hurt.. and need to be injected at a "slow" rate... Also read that icing the injection site helps some... any additional "tricks" that helped?

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 21st, 2011, 05:26 PM
Crystal_Lynn's Avatar Ari and Zev's Mommy
I'm on the shots now. My last one is actually tomorrow. My first was born right at 32 weeks due to PTL. I don't feel most contractions so I had no clue how long I had been in labor for.

This pregnancy I started the shots at 17 weeks and stop them tomorrow (34 weeks). At 31 and 3 days I was in the hospital for something unrelated to pregnancy but found out that I was contracting and dilating. Every DR that I've talked to strongly recommended the shots and says there is no reason to worry as progestone is naturally produced by the body. My husband does the shots and for me they are not painful at all. Every so often I have a bit of stinging around the injection site, but nothing bad at all. Well worth every moment it keeps baby in.

.My Pregnancy Blog.Last update: 01.05.12.

Some babies are born to soon and/or too sick. Arm yourself with knowledge, visit marchofdimes.com!
December 25th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had them during my pregnancy I started contracting around 20 weeks and started the shots and bedrest then. I still ended up delivering right at 36 weeks. Baby was/is healthy and didn't need any NICU time. She was 6lbs 4oz at birth.

The shots do hurt a lot. They are in an oil and are thick. They can order different kinds of oil though so if it's super painful for you they can try a thinner oil. I didn't know this until I googled it and requested it from the Dr. It made a bit of difference.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search