Progesterone shots

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2012, 05:41 PM
Special_K's Avatar Veteran
Hi ladies! I'm wondering if anyone has taken the progesterone shots to prevent preterm labor, and how it worked for you? I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant and high risk due to incompetent cervix and PTL at 31 weeks with my previous pregnancy. I had an ultrasound today and my baby and cervix look fine so far, but they have decided to go ahead and start me on the P17 shots. Just curious if anyone else has had the same problems and what the treatment and results were.

February 22nd, 2012, 02:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oooh, I did! My oldest was a preemie, born at 27 weeks due to PPROM. They don't know why I PPROM'd, so in my second pregnancy, they did the shots in case they might help. My daughter was born a few days after her due date--no idea if I went full term because of the shots, or if I was just unlucky the first time around.

I did have a side effect from the shots that isn't in the literature: crazy awful mood swings. Like, the worst PMS mood swings you can imagine, only instead of once a month, they're every week, for 3 days. For me, I got the shots on Friday and was nuts on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Also, the shots hurt a bit because it's a thick liquid, though not as much as the steroid shots I had after I PROM'd.

Wishing you a nice looooooooong pregnancy and a healthy baby in 23 more weeks!

February 22nd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Im glad to hear you made it passed 40 weeks the second time around. That's awesome! I remember you had your baby a few months ago since I also visit the nicu board I aleady have mood swings so I hope I don't have that problem with the shots. Did u self administer the shots?

February 23rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was too wimpy to do the shots at home, and my doctor's office is only 10 blocks from my work, so I went in to have them done. One of my NICU friends (who also PPROMd and also went overdue with her second!) had her husband do them, but DH said he didn't want to hurt me.

Also, I'm not sure if they've told you about having them compounded vs. buying the brand name ones, but you'll save your insurance company a LOT of money if you buy the compounded ones instead. So, if you've got a compounding pharmacy near where you live, I'd recommend buying compounded ones if you can.

February 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
I PPROM'd at 34 weeks with DS, so got the P17 shots with DD. She made it to 36 weeks, but I didn't get the last shot. I also went to the doctor weekly to get them.

Seattlite is right, they are viscous so the shot is not pleasant, and several times I ended up with a knot in my hip for the entire week. Still, I think it probably did help. I just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant again, I think we'll be planning on getting them again.
Caroline - November '12

February 27th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Alisha, congrats!!! When are you due?

February 27th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks! I am due 11/8. So not even 4 weeks yet. So excited!
Caroline - November '12

February 29th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I also did the progesterone shots. First baby delivered at 25.5 wks after I PPROM'ed. Second baby born on the 4th of this month at 39 wks! Yippee!
I didn't seem to have any negative side effects to the shots other than the occasional soreness at the site. And I'm sure those that did have reactions would agree that it's worth it all!
February 29th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Yes Yes! Absolutely worth it, I was just trying to give as accurate information from my experience as I could. I'd do them again in a second!
Caroline - November '12

March 1st, 2012, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpaper06 View Post
Yes Yes! Absolutely worth it, I was just trying to give as accurate information from my experience as I could. I'd do them again in a second!
anything that can prevent premature birth is worth it!

March 3rd, 2012, 04:54 PM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a PROM baby as well 32 weeker, my last pregnancy I was on P-17 shots and made it 36 weeks this pregnancy I will start my injections again at 16 weeks. I think they help a lot coupled with other methods to avoid pre term labor. Good luck to you.

March 6th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Thank u ladies for your responses! I will be starting my shots today and hoping I have as much success as all of u did. Fingers crossed for a healthy full term baby boy that I can take home with me when I leave the hospital

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search