baby small for dates?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2012, 09:03 AM
anyone had this problem? what was the reason for baby being small (what was picked up on growth scan)? was baby delivered early? whether induced or c-section?
May 3rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
My daughter began measuring small in the mid 30-week range and was diagnosed with IUGR towards the end of my pregnancy (37-38 weeks).

The growth scan showed her as being 4lbs 10oz or so for the last remaining weeks of my pregnancy with no change in growth (it looked like she had stopped growing). I was induced at 38w5d and she ended up coming out at 5lbs 5oz, but otherwise completely healthy.

There was no real reason for her small size determined. I was also suffering from hydronephrosis during my pregnancy and the doctor mentioned that the stress from that may have effected her growth. However, I was also a small baby (5lbs 3oz at 37weeks) so I believe it might also be genetic! Probably a little of both.

Once she was outside the womb she had no trouble at all gaining weight. She never really lost a lot of weight after she was born, and gained very quickly (now tripled her weight at 6 months).

May 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok, seriously, I have a really long and detailed response written out.

My last baby was born at 37w 4d after the growth scan showed IUGR, but mostly because she failed the NST/BPP. She was measuring gestationally between 28 and 35 weeks. At the 31 week growth scan, she was within normal ranges. She was born via c-section, weighing 4lbs, 9 oz.

The diagnosis was IUGR as a result of placental infarction (old placenta). She was completely healthy at 37w 4d, just tiny. She's still small, but healthy.

I should mention the irony that my premie was my biggest baby and my longest pregnancy baby was my smallest. All three of my kids have always been on the smaller end of the weight charts, but healthy.
May 4th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When I was preggo with both my kids the doctors had to have an extra u/s because my uterus was measuring small for dates, but they were both fine. I delivered a couple weeks early with both of them.

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

June 5th, 2012, 10:08 AM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son was in the 3 percentile at 8 months pregnant, because of hyperemesis.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
August 3rd, 2012, 06:39 AM
Regular
There are babies who are normally small because they have much water inside. Mine was a huge baby, but there was only a little water.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search