High TSH early pregnancy? So worried!!!

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I had a thyroidectomy 15 years ago, and had been on a stable dose of Synthroid (100 mcg) ever since. I am now 9 weeks pregnant. When I first found out (only about 2 weeks pregnant), my TSH spiked up to a 9. Doctor doubled my dose of Synthroid to 200mcg, which sent me into hyperthyroid after 2 weeks. Doctor took me off the meds for a few days because my T4 levels were elevated and I was having hyper symptoms. He then put me on 125s, after about a week and a half he had me test again and this time my TSH shot up to an 18!!!! Doctor put me on 225 and am hoping it will bring the TSH down! My free T4 levels were fine, not low or anything. I am petrified that I have done damage to my babies (I am having twins) and that they are not going to develop normally and have low IQs. I feel terrible!!! Just 3 weeks ago my TSH was good and my T4 levels were elevated, so I'm hoping that since I haven't been too hypothyroid for too long, it won't cause much damage?!?! However, I've been hypothyroid throughout most of my 1st trimester so far, with only a few weeks of having a normal TSH. I'm really hoping that since it's still early and that I'm only 9 weeks that I've caught it in time and that everything will be OK! Everything looked fine on the ultrasound last week (both babies had strong heartbeats and looked normal). I know it takes a while for TSH to come down, but do you think since I'm taking 225 mcg of Synthroid every day that my babies are getting what they need??? Somebody told me that the babies are taking up all the thyroid horrmone and I'm just left with nothing, so the babies should be fine. I'm just the one that is suffering. Especially since my free T4 level was good. I'm just worried sick over this and really hope I haven't done any damage to my babies! Please, I'd love to hear from people that have been in the same situation? THANK YOU!
July 5th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's normal for the TSH to go up during pg. I am usually on 112mg and right now I'm at 175mg and expecting to be on 200mg by end of week.

Are you going to an endocrinologist? If not, ask if you can. I'm surprised the doctor doubled the dosage. Most my endo has done is 2 steps at a time. Normally they increase it only 1 dosage at a time and then retest every 4 weeks until it's within normal range. ( So far this pg, mine has been 8 and 6 and both times she just did one dosage)
Getting it under control at this early is important for later. The more out of whack, the higher chance of pre-eclampsia. Early pg biggest risk is you gaining too much weight too quickly. I know I'm up 15pds already since mine is out of whack.

You will probably go back to 100mg by 6 weeks post-postpartum. However they can't just drop you immediately to it. I'd ask to see an endo. Best thing I ever did and I went through 2 pgs before seeing one. Last 3 have been under her care. (I was diagnosed after delivery my 2nd and was determined it probably caused my pre-clampsia. I had TSH of 12 2 weeks after delivering her so I can only imagine what it was during her pg. Never tested though. Thankfully is perfectly normal (14 years later)..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search