Why isn't my doctor more concerned?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Regular
I am currently 22 weeks pregnant. I saw my doctor at 12 weeks and had my first ultrasound at 21 weeks but have not heard the results yet. My question for moms at high risk: How involved was your doctor from the beginning of your pregnancy? Do I need to be more vocal in asking to see my doctor or should I feel content with going through the 'normal' pregnancy appointments? I feel having had a previous extremely premature baby, I would be monitored more.

FYI: A membrane ruptured and my water broke at 23 1/2 weeks with my first pregnancy. (He is now a healthy almost three year old.) Before we tried getting pregnant with our second, my doctor told me my complications with our first had no reason and this next one should go fine.
April 15th, 2005, 12:51 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Have you told your doctor your concerns. I'm being closely monitored because of my family history as well as my son being born 6 weeks early. She asked me about my family history and the moment she heard all the health probs she said, "your high risk because of....." Then after more talking she said "We're sending you to genetics, etc..."

I got lucky because my doctor is very knowledgable about the problems in my family and knows how many problems they can raise.
April 15th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Selestial's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really have any advice for you. I'm supposedly at a high risk doctor this time because of HELLP syndrome with my first. The guy has barely been monitoring me for anything other than the standard appt. stuff. If you can't get answers to your questions or more attention, I would switch doctors if possible (I wish I had done it)

April 16th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Regular
My first pregnancy was high risk (twins, plus one had a congenital heart defect, PTL, etc.) My doctor was very on top of things, and always called me at home if I needed to be put on a certain medication, etc. However, with ultrasounds and other tests, unless something came back abnormal and would require further evaluation, I would just find out the results at the next appointment, etc. However, I did have lots of appointments so it didn't seem like very long in between I guess.

With this pregnancy, though they are watching for a few things, it is being treated as a normal pregnancy with no bells and whistles. It does seem much different than the first in that respect, but I guess it's because there isn't much to worry about, which is good!
April 16th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Maddies_Mommy22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Maddies_Mommy22
They would of told you if something came back wrong on your ultrasound. Usually they wait unless something is abnormal.

As for keeping closer track of you because of your premature baby, im sure he's monitoring all your tests, etc more closely than you think.

I've "heard" (dont know if this stands true or not) that just because of a premature baby during one pregnancy doesnt make it a case every pregnancy.
But, I also "heard" you usually only get preeclampsia your first pregnancy, and I got it both of mine.. so who knows?

I would definitely talk to your doctor if your worried, and ask him what he's been doing to keep track of you and monitoring you. He may be doing more than you think? I dont know!!

Good luck on a healthy, full term pregnancy, and a beautiful little baby. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

~Hoping for a Baby Boy!~
April 16th, 2005, 10:03 AM
teacherinlove's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In my opinion your doctor not shoing a "large" concern about the pregnancy might be him/her trying to keep you positive and not stressed out.

Example..

I had a normal doctor and at 19 weeks the U/S tech noticed that I had a shortened cervix. They called me on the phone and told me to start bed rest, leaving me scared and unsure what was going on. When I finally had my doctors appointment the doctor basicly said I should prepare for losing the baby because I would go into labor very early. I was scared and terrified and upon that they told me I couldn't be seen by them anymore and that I was high risk.

I started to freak out and I ended in the emergency room. There I was met with real professionalism and they made sure everyone was intact, they found me a high risk doctor and got me an appointment. I was able to see a fellow doctor who was on call from that office and he reassured me everything would be fine and after 28 weeks you have to real worries.

When I finally started seeing my new doctor he never made my pregnancy seem like a real concern.. he told me it was serious but that everything was going to be fine unlike my 1st doctor so, my stress level went way down..

Some doctors are trained to take a stressful situation and destress it when their patient might be overly concerned. I would talk to your doctor about it because maybe this method doesn't work for you and you would like to know all the facts etc.. ( something my new doctor well informed me on) and if your doctor still doesn't start serving you, perhaps see another doctor?

~Marissa~

April 17th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Veteran
This sounds like my situation exactly only my PROM was a little later in pregnancy. My doctor has said we will approach this pregnancy is normal unless concerns come up along the way. I didn't ask why because I guessed it was since I did nothing that would have caused PROM, it just happened, there isn't much I can do differently this time and more appointments isn't going to make things any safer.
April 17th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I too had problems with pre-term labor with my first and becuase of that they started keeping a close eye on me at 14 weeks.. at 15 I ended up with a cerclage.

i definitely think you dr should take things more seriously.. check your cervical length etc

April 26th, 2005, 07:58 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I think maybe you should be letting your doctor know how you feel or find a new doctor. I have to disagree with some of the posters. My dd was born at 36 weeks after going into preterm labor around 34 weeks. It might have been sooner than this because they had not checked me earlier.

Then I was at this same doctor's office and complained about having cx the whole time. No one ever checked my cervix or seemed concerned about me having preterm labor even though I had it before. I had Gestational Diabetes and had been complaining of cx for a while. I feel that my doctors were neglectful and should have been monitoring me closely.

This time I have a new doctor and he is really on top of things. He is having me come in more frequently than my other doctors had and has done several ultrasounds. I think your doctors should be having you come in at least every two weeks and doing ultrasounds to check your cervix. I would be very demanding if I were you.

((hugs)) to you.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 28th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Veteran
The problem with PROM is that it is completely unpredictable. Pre-term labour can also be unpredictable, but at least with subsequent pregnancies they can measure your cervix, perform circlage, monitor contractions, give medication, put you on bedrest, etc. For PROM you can have many ultrasounds, many appointments and there is nothing you can do to stop it until it is too late and your membranes have already ruptured. There are no medications for it, ultrasounds show no warnings and your cervix can be in very good condition, but it can still happen. Precautionary bedrest is an option but it is fairly extreme. I am not sure much would be done by another doctor unless bedrest would be recommended and that is still not guaranteed to do anything helpful. It does not hurt to get a second opinion, but it might not help either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search