For all the Lovenox/Heparin Mama's out there:

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Crystal Lynn, I was just passing through and saw your post, I did not have time to read the whole thing, but I wanted to let you know that I clotted on Lovenox prior to becoming pregnant and I had 2 successful, uneventful pregnancies. I would talk to my hemo before worrying yourself sick. I saw high risk OBs during both of my pregnancies and both times they left everything regarding my anticoagulation up to my hemo. I know that docs have to lay everything out there for you, but it seems pretty crappy for the high risk OB to lay out every worst case scenario. I hope that meeting with your hemo will help to put your mind at ease.

Btw, I am Liz. I have the same history and treatment as Amy, but I am not currently pregnant. (THANK GOODNESS! )

August 29th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Crystal Lynn's Avatar Regular
Hi Liz, thank you so much for letting me know that. That makes me feel alot better! Also, don't worry, I know I write way too much! So I don't expect you to read through all of that lol. I was kind of figuring that the high risk OB might be just throwing that out there and I'm really hoping that the hematologist will have much better news to tell me.. and come up with a good plan for me. It is really crappy that the only news she gave me was a list of more things for me to worry about! I was scheduled for the hemo at the end of October but earlier this week they called with a cancelation, so luckily I'm going to see her tomorrow! I'm so glad I don't have to wait now. I'm curious what she will say, but hopefully she will still let me do lovonox or low molecular weight heparin. I can't possibly imagine she will tell me to stay on coumadin, that just doesn't make sense. Did you have a higher dose of lovonox than the norm? Or were you able to stay on a typical dose throughout your pregnancies? I'm assuming you aren't trying to have anymore babies, from your response.. or just not yet anyway lol. How old are your babies? I really appreciate your reply, that really does make me feel a whole lot better! Well, here's to hoping after tomorrow my stress level about all of this will come down lol. I always thought I knew what the plan would be when the time came I wanted to ttc, but of course now they throw a monkey wrench into the mix. I'm keeping my fx that it doesn't get more complicated than it has to be. Thanks again!!
August 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was on a high dose of Lovenox. 100mg/ml twice a day. This was mostly because I am heavy though. I got lucky and did not gain much weight during my pregnancies, so they never had to adjust my dose. My daughter is almost 4 and my little boy is 9 months. No more babies for me! Two is all I can handle!

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow! I have a feeling that your hemo will have you feeling a lot better about everything. I know that it is easier said than done, but try not to worry about every little thing. I always told myself that even a "healthy, normal" pregnancy can have issues so there was no point in being hung up on what was "abnormal" about my pregnancies. I can't wait to hear what your hemo says! KUP!

August 30th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Well, my appointment went ok. Didn't really get any answers yet though. She did say she doesn't plan on going with Coumadin, so I was happy about that. She wants to do more investigating with my blood work before making any decisions about a plan for me though. So she had me get 10 viles of blood drawn today for various things, some I've never heard of lol. She also told me to go back to my gyn & get worked up for PCOS because she thinks I might have that too. I really hope I don't, I don't want any more issues trying to get pregnant. She also told me I have Livedo Reticularis, which I guess is some type of vascular condition. I don't know anything about it so I guess I'll be on google searching for info, but it sounds like it isn't much of anything to worry about.. or so I hope. I am pretty sure I have some kind of hormone issue going on & I've gained weight in the last couple months, so maybe it could be contributed to that, idk. Now I just gotta wait for the blood tests to come back & then see the hematologist again & hope for some answers. Also get back to the gyn for a work up for PCOS. Ugh. Not the best of news today, but I still have hope that somehow it will all work out.

That is a high dose of lovonox, but your right, it does vary from person to person for all kinds of reasons. You are so lucky you didn't gain much weight from your pregnancies! I bet if I got pregnant I would have a lot of issues with weight gain, but I'm hoping since I'm conscious of that, maybe I can try extra hard to get the right amount of nutrients & still keep the weight down, who knows. I know its hard for so many women. You are very lucky! Two kids is probably all I could handle too! lol. Thats wonderful you have one girl & one boy Thats what I would want, one of each. I bet that 4 yr old keeps you busy, thats the age where they are starting to get in to everything lol! Thank you for helping keep me sane the last couple days. You are absolutely right though, normal pregnancy or not, there can always be issues. Adding stress doesn't help, so its better to not worry so much. Which I am terrible about! But I'm going to work on it

Here I go again with my long replies. I'll try to keep the rest of it quick since I'm starting a novel again.. but I wanted to tell you, at my appt today a nurse approached me about signing up with this program they started. Its not a study, but more like collecting data about bleeding/clotting disorders. All personal info & name etc are not listed. I assume with the information they are trying to gather, there will be more studies in the future. But I of course signed up.. anything I can do to help them learn more about it the better. Plus there is next to no info about my deficiency.. at least not like alot of the others. I can't remember what this thing they started is called, but if I find out again I'll let you know. My hemo specializes in bleeding & clotting disorders so this is part of her team working on this data. Anway, just thought you might be interested to know about it. Not that it really makes any kind of difference with anything right now though.
August 30th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Oh, and they told me about a website with lots of info about clotting disorders, etc. You might already know about it, but its stoptheclot.org in case you want to check it out. I haven't looked at it yet, but I plan on it.
September 4th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am glad you had a good appointment! Hopefully all of the bloodwork will shed more light on everything. I really hope that they don't find any evidence of PCOS. I completely understand not wanting to have one more "obstacle" between you and a healthy pregnancy. I actually am familiar with stoptheclot.org. It has been a long while since I have been on there, I might have to visit the page again. When I had my clot and was diagnosed I went nuts researching the disorder. I am a person who has to have as much information as I can get!

September 5th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Thank you I am the same way...I want as much info as possible too. Ever since my clot, I've done a lot of research too over the years, on and off. I'm still crossing my fingers about the PCOS. But I had a PCP appt the day after my hemo appt & she drew 7 more viles, all on hormones. I'm still waiting on results, and still waiting for some of the hemo results too. But my antithrombin III tests came back lower than they ever have been before. They are trying to look further into my bloodwork I guess before they give me a plan yet for pregnancy So now I have to have more bloodwork next week since it was even lower. I'm glad the ball is rolling to get to the end result, but I feel like I'm going in circles at the same time. I'm trying to be patient, and crossing my fingers I don't get any added bad news in the process. I hope things are going well for you! Btw I have some family in KY, it's such a beautiful state, I love going down there. I'm not a big fan of how cold MI winters can get lol. Trying to soak up as much of this warm weather I can before the dreaded cold gets here. At least KY doesn't get as bad as here
September 6th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know it can be so hard to be patient. I HATE waiting for results on anything, let alone something like what you are going through! Just wait until you are TTC and in the 2ww. It nearly killed me! lol

What part of KY is your family in? I am just south of Cincinnati, OH. I really enjoy living in this area and KY is such a pretty state.

September 6th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Yeah I hate waiting too! I understand about the 2ww, a little bit at least. We haven't prevented in 4 yrs but weren't trying then either. Now the last couple months we've been trying and I chart my bbt. I wanted to see my gyn before we started but I had to wait so long to get in to see her that we didn't want to wait. Not the smartest idea I suppose since I have the clotting issue but again, I hate waiting! lol. Since I've had these appts they want us to wait till there is a plan... buuuuttttt, I can't say we've exactly listened too well. I honestly think I'm going to have trouble ttc, especially since in all this time it hasn't happened on "accident" or in the last couple months we've tried. I know it could be timing and the fact some people it takes longer.. but I still worry. Also a small part of me hopes that if I get pg maybe they will speed up on getting a plan for me... hopefully! And even if not, I truly think Lovonox will be fine, though I know I'm not a doctor. But anyway.. your right, so far I HATE the 2ww!! I'm sure it only gets worse & harder to deal with as time goes on. I'm trying very hard not to be too serious about going all out on ttc till we for sure have a plan, but I still can't help thinking about it the whole 2ww anyway.

My family is in Salyersville KY and Williamsburg KY. Although I've only been to Salyersville. Ky really is a beautiful state. Michigan is ok too, but the prettier parts are in the UP (and of course its colder there!), I live closer to Toledo, OH though.
September 10th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
IT is easy for them to tell you to wait until there is a plan in place. To heck with them! lol My first pregnancy was a total surprise, my second was conceived in the cycle following a miscarriage after my OB had told me to wait 3 months before trying again. Needless to say, I don't always listen! I listen where it is important though!

September 12th, 2012, 02:31 PM
LOL! I agree with that! Yeah I listen when it's important too.. but if I keep waiting on them, they will just take their sweet time and never get back to me on a plan. I still don't have an answer from them yet. But.. on another note.. today I am on day 38 of my cycle! Yeah, its forever long. But it has been for a few months now. But I also chart my BBT and usually it starts dropping 2 days before my af. So my af is due today. Two days ago it was still high, yesterday it dropped a little but still above coverline and today it shot up .6! And so far af is a no show! I didn't test today because I wasn't sure if something funky is just going on with me. But I'm kinda starting to get my hopes up If af doesn't come by tomorrow & my bbt is still high, I might test. Fx! My bbt has never went up when af was due. I've had cramps for 3 days now though, thinking it was going to show any minute.. since I never cramp till day of. But still nothing so far. So I'm really hoping!! The docs might not be happy about it, but I will be if I am! I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't listen when they told you to wait Lol
September 13th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How exciting!!! I don't know how you can not test! I must have peed on a hundred sticks when we were trying for our second! Lol

September 13th, 2012, 06:46 PM
LOL! It wasn't easy! Then I was mad at myself for not testing that morning & wish I had. But I wanted to make sure it was FMU so at that point I waited. But my temp was still up this morning & no af so I took a test this morning and... it was POSITIVE!! I'm pregnant!!! I can't believe it! I'm still in shock. lol
September 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ahhhhh!!!!!! I am so excited for you!!! Congrats! Congrat! Congrats!

I guess this will light a fire under their butts to come up with a treatment plan! You are on coumadin now, right? If you have not already, you need to talk to your hemo ASAP and discuss stopping the medication. It can cause serious birth defects. When I got my BFP with my daughter my doc had me stop my coumadin the day I got the results. With Ds I was on Lovenox while TTC since I had a miscarriage the cycle before he was conceived.

I am seriously so pumped for you! Due date?

September 14th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Holy Cow! Congratulations!!!

And, ditto what Liz said! You need to be off that nasty Coumadin right now! Get away from the computer and call your doctor!!!

Congratulations again!!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
September 14th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Thank you so much ladies!!! I am super excited!!! Oh trust me, the first thing I did when their offices opened up the morning I tested was call the hemo, then call ob/gyn, then my pcp and the anticoagulation clinic! LOL. So go figure, when I called the hemo, within a 1/2 hr they called me back to discuss everything, then they had to call me back after they had an official plan, and it was only 10 min later they called back and said I'm starting low molecular weight heparin (lovonox) and it will be 80mg twice a day. Seriously.. I've been waiting all this time and in 10 min they had a plan! Good thing I didn't listen to them and wait!! Anyway, I immediately stopped coumadin the day I found out & they called the script in that morning & I started lovonox that night. Not thrilled about having to take it twice a day instead of once, but I don't care as long as its the best thing for me and the baby

As far as a due date, I haven't had an appt with the OB yet so nothing is confirmed yet, but by my calculations it should be May 22nd.. and thats also what FF says too lol. It still hasn't fully set in yet, I keep trying to remind myself I'm really pregnant! haha. But when I think too hard about it I get a little nervous too..I'm so worried about a mc. But I'm trying not to think about the negative as much as possible, less stress the better. I have cramps, kinda like menstrual cramps, and its on and off since 2 days before I missed af. I know thats normal but its also scary too. No spotting though and its just mild so its probably fine. I can't wait till I can feel the baby move or even just see an u/s. Then it will really set in for me I think Honestly though, my bbt is what gave it away, and so the day af was supposed to come I wasn't truly thinking it would come but after it didn't, thats when I was 99% sure. My temp was still up the next day and no af so I tested! Thank you so much for listening to me through the whole time I was trying to figure out my plan, etc. I really appreciate it! And for dealing with my long, ridiculous replies lol Thanks again ladies!!
September 15th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yay! I am happy they got you on it right away. I am on it twice a day. It sucks but it is better than the alternative. Keep us posted on everything. I bet you cant wait until your first u/s. So exciting!!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
September 16th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Amy, yeah your right.. it really does suck. But it is definitely better than the alternative! How far along are you? After only doing the lovonox a few days, I feel like I'm going to run out of places to put it lol. I don't want to do the same spots over and over twice a day for 9 months! Lol. It makes me nervous to put it in my belly even though they said its ok. They told me I could put it on the outside of my thighs, back of arms, love handles, butt... however, I don't know how your supposed to put it on the back of your arms by yourself, not to mention I think that would really hurt! Same goes for the outside of your thighs...not enough fat there. The only place I've been able to do it is my love handles and that will probably get tough when I get a big belly and it will probably make me nervous being so close to the baby. Where do you put your injections? Any tips? I never even thought about this being an issue, but now that I gotta do it, I have all these questions lol. I've only ever done lovonox for bridging in the past.. 2 weeks at a time tops. Oh and you are absolutely right! I cannot wait for my first u/s!!! It can't get here fast enough! I figured, after my first u/s is when I'll share the big news with everyone... well, maybe lol. I'm so nervous about a mc. But I know you can't control that if it happened. How soon did you share the news? I've told immediate family & close friends but thats it.
September 16th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am 18 weeks. I'm no where near thin so I have plenty of cushion for the shots but I do run out of places. I only inject in my abdomen and some places hurt and stay bruised longer. Some ladies ice before injections but I don't. I just do it fast and get it over with. As for telling people I always tell right away. I have had a mc but still tell everyone right away. My theory is that every baby should be celebrated by us, famiily and friends whether I am able to carry to term or not. Plus I like the support afterwards. But I understand why people wait too. Totally a personal preference.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
September 17th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I always injected in the belly. I iced before my injections. I really don't think it cuts down on the bruising, but I never felt the shots. I have a lot of extra around the middle, so I never ran out of places to inject! Try not to worry about a mc. Just remember that you are doing everything that you need to do to make sure you have a healthy pregnancy. I am so glad that your hemo got you on the shots so fast!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search