Our Situation

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2012, 08:49 AM
Not a mom here, but an expecting dad. My wife has a high risk pregnancy and just wanted to give some insight to our situation.

Her last "normal" period was the 2nd week of August, which should put her at 7 weeks now. She was using a ParaGard IUD, so we were not expecting to become pregnant. She started what she thought was her period on Sept. 13th, but it seemed to go on and on ( for 18 days ) rather than stop after a week as it usually does. The doctors also were not concerned that she could be pregnant due to the effectiveness of the IUD, but they did advise to take a test to rule it out. The first test ( a dollar store brand ) came back negative we thought, but we decided to take two more tests on Sunday - the digital kind. They both came back positive.

With the bleeding ongoing and seemingly not slowing down, we were going to head to the ER, as we've heard how the IUD can cause an ectopic pregnancy if conception does occur. The doctor on call from our OBGYN said to come in in the morning to the office. We went in and they set us up with an ultrasound. The IUD was in the correct place still, and the gestational sac was visible and implanted very low they said. It concerned me because the only thing they could see with a transvaginal ultrasound was the gestational sac and I've heard a yolk/heartbeat should be visible by now.

The doctor removed the IUD and spoke with us. He told us that a miscarriage is a very real possibility due to a number of factors. It's also worth mentioning that my wife has Factor Five Leiden, which as many of you know makes her clot more easily. They took some bloodwork and we're going tomorrow for another blood draw to compare HCG levels. She's been spotting today and yesterday as well. We're both excited about the prospect of becoming parents, but we're also very scared because we know that the odds are currently against us. Have any of you ever had experiences similar to this?
October 2nd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with your situation. But, I hope you and your wife do have a healthy little baby that continues to grow and stick for you.

Your wife's OB should be talking about special medicine for her Factor V for the duration of the pregnancy. There's many pg ladies with Factor V and successful pregnancies.

I wish you both the best. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
October 2nd, 2012, 03:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any personal experiences with IUD's so, I'm really of no help there. I do, though, have Factor V Leiden and am currently pregnant with my 3rd baby. So, I'm sure the doctor will put her on Lovenox or maybe even Heparin. There are several of us here with it and have all had successful pregnancies! Good luck and let us know what happens tomorrow!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
October 5th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry I don't have any advice to add, but I have heard of women who can't see anything more than the gestational sac (even with a transvaginal u/s) around 7-8 weeks due to a tilted uterus, weight around their midsection, or other variables.

I will keep you and your wife in my thoughts and prayers...and kudos for you for reaching out to get more knowledge and support.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search