Progesterone Shots??

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
kkhadivar
Who has used them to prevent preterm labor? Did they work for you or not really?

It is being suggested that I go on progesterone shots once I hit 16 weeks (I'm at 12 now) and get a weekly shot up until 36 weeks. The reason they are being suggested for me is that during my last pregnancy, I started contracting and my cervix started shortening at 24 weeks...I went on procardia, bedrest, etc. and ended up making it to 39 weeks.

Supposedly the progesterone will calm the uterus and help prevent the cervix from shortening. After reading all the research, at first I was excited and now I am not totally convinced. I read that most of the studies used castor oil as their "placebo shot." Can't that irritate contractions and skew the results?? It's also a concern that the progesterone shot usually comes in a base of castor oil, although I think you can have it compounded with an alternate oil.

However, I am no doc. So I maybe I am reading too much into the studies. So I'm looking for personal stories now. Anyone feel they helped....or didn't help? Any side effects you felt?
October 4th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know several women on this board have had successful pregnancies go to term, or past 36 weeks at least. Seattle Beth had a PROM baby before 30 weeks (27 I think) and got the P17 shots with her second baby. She carried this baby to term.

I personally didn't receive the P17 shots, but my DS was nearly 36 weeks when I had him after PTL and bedrest. MY dr and I discussed the choice and options. We decided to not go with the P17 shots. I carried this last baby to 37.4 weeks - my longest one.

BUT, this is just me. I know my high risk OB wanted me to take the shots. You should really discuss this decision with your OB. I know that if DS had been born earlier, or bed rest hadn't worked so well, I would have done the shots.

OK, in fairness I should say the I made my first L & D visit at 25 weeks for contractions. I took it very easy and tried to stay off my feet (couch potato rest) for the rest of the pregnancy. The baby was in breech until 28 weeks too, which helped. I spent the night for PTL at 33 weeks and was officially on bed rest and procardia at this point. It was scary and very, very stressful.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a happy and healthy pg. Let us know what you decide.
October 5th, 2012, 07:23 AM
kkhadivar
Thank you so much Dee! I am still researching and thinking it over. I met a couple ladies on another forum who took oral Prometrium instead of the shots and made it term without bedrest as well. I think I would feel a little more comfortable with Prometrium since it's a bioidentical progesterone. (I get nervous about messing with hormones, since we really don't know how it will affect the fertility, etc. of offspring one day....but of course, I know if it prevents a preterm labor, it's so worth it.) ...always so hard for me to make these kinds of decisions!
October 9th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Hello-
I had one miscarriage and then a couple years later a preterm birth at 22 weeks due to incompetent cervix that was undiagnosed at the time.

On the third pregnancy, I got a cerclage at 11 weeks and got weekly progesterone injections starting at 16 weeks. I carried my son full term to 40 weeks, even though the cerclage was removed at 38 weeks. We don't know whether it was the progesterone or the cerclage or both that made the pregnancy successful, but it was a very easy pregnancy and my son is now 2 years old. The injections are a little painful but it was worth it to have a full pregnancy. They had a nurse come to my house every week to administer the injections which made it very convenient. Good luck!!
October 13th, 2012, 11:04 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I, too, did the progesterone shots with my last pregnancy. I had a cerclage placement and then the shots weekly from week 14 on. I made it to full term with my DS after my previous pregnancy resulted in 24 week preemie twins. I am DEFINATELY doing the shots again.

October 18th, 2012, 09:40 PM
pinkpopsicles's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm on week 6 of my shots and am really noticing a less-irritable uterus. The contractions are coming, but much less frequently than with my first two pregnancies.
My reasoning for opting to do the shots had to do with the risks of preterm labor drugs (such as terbutaline and the like) or the progesterone shots and I truly feel the shots pose a much smaller risk (if any) of long term effects for baby.
I had to be on a terbutaline-type drug while pregnant with DS and he has autism and adhd (both mild). I know they say those drugs are safe but google says otherwise! LOL I do wonder about it sometimes...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search