.5mm 27 weeks with twins; Very Discouraged

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Well sorry this may be a long story. Hopefully by me putting all my stats in here, some ladies will be able to offer me some much needed advice.

At 18w my cervix made a drastic change from 4cm to 2.5cm, at that point my dr advised me to start taking it easy. From that point on I tried to only do the necessities. I have two other small children, so some stuff is hard to put off. Fast Forward- my cervix stayed stable from 18 weeks to 23 weeks when it again took another drastic change and went to 1.2cm. At this point my Dr. had me start coming in twice a week for CL length and contraction monitoring. Again the CL stabilized; it stayed between the 1.2 to 1.6 for 2 weeks. During this 2 weeks I started to have a lot more contractions, none of which had a regular pattern, 2 one hour then none, then 5 an hour then none. Unfortunately though at 24 weeks 5 days I had some unusual pressure and my Dr. referred me to Labor and Delivery for monitoring. When I arrived they said everything was fine, the last thing they wanted to do was get a cervical length before they would let me go. Again it changed to 1cm or 10mm, so they admitted me for the steroid shots and a low dose of mag in case I delivered early. That night shortly after all my shots and medís I started having regular contractions every 10 to 15 minutes with no end in sight. Fortunately I made it through night one, and after the mag was over they put me on nifedipine and stabilized the contractions. They kept me for monitoring and on day 3 they ordered a new CL it came in at .6mm so they moved me back to Labor and Delivery again. I stayed stable with no contractions, and my next CL was .9mm so they final let me come home on the 8th day taking the nifedipine 10mg every 4 hrs. I am now 27 weeks 1 day, and I went this afternoon for my regular check up with my highrisk Dr. and now my cervix is back at .5, however he checked me and said I am not dilated. I am so confused about all of this after carrying 2 singletons to term, and now being told that they donít know what to do for me other than monitor me. I am very discouraged and after the hospital stay and missing my other children, Iím truly dreading another hospital stay. I keep reading about bedrest, and even had a hospital bed delivered a few days ago so I could sleep in the Trendelenburg position even though my Dr. has said he isnít sure it would help and that it really isnít necessary.
Does anyone have advice for this type of situation, or any advice on things I might can do to get through this rough time.
October 7th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you're having such a stressful pregnancy this time.

I'm surprised your dr doesn't have you on bedrest. Good news is that you are dilated. Did they check for funneling with you CL checks? That is usually a sign of dilation potential.

Honestly, you need to prepare yourself that you may have more hospital stays in the near future and that your little ones may be born before 36 weeks.

I don't have tons of advice about twin pregnancy, but have been through the PTL, bedrest, meds, steriods and all. It isn't fun, but if in the long run you have healthy babies, you do whatever you need to do. There was no explanation for my PTL with my 2nd baby, or my contractions (starting at 25 weeks) with #3.

You may want to post over in the mommies of twins or the Preemie board. Some moms there may have some advice for you too. Good luck and KUP.
October 11th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Thank you for your reply, yes I have had funneling since about 20 weeks. And thank you for the info about where to post this any little bit helps!!!
October 13th, 2012, 09:59 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. In 2008, I was in a similar one. Had a very short cervical length, actually went into labor at 19 weeks... they were able to stop it with an emergency cerclage stitch and I was on strict strict bedrest for the next 5.5 weeks. I eventually delivered at 24.5 to a set a twins. My son did not survive.. my daughter did.

I know it is so hard.. but honestly... try to lay down literally every second you don't have to be up. It will make a difference. Try to keep hope, you babies are getting bigger and stronger with each day. I had to get in the mindset of just trying to get through the NEXT DAY and knowing that one day in the womb is on average worth saving 2 days in the NICU. Hang in there sweetie. Wishing you the best..

October 22nd, 2012, 10:34 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I was put on strict bedrest at 25 weeks with twins and a cervix that was between .5 and 1 cm. It was awful since I also have a toddler, but it worked! I never dialated either, and my twins were born at 33w1d. They spent 4 weeks in the NICU learning how to eat and grow, but they are very healthy.

Two things to ask about...

...I had the steroid injections at 25.5 weeks to help the twins' lung development. Have you been given those shots (you need 2, 24 hours apart)? If not, definitely ask about it, because they can really help your babies' lungs.

...I also had a cervical pessary. I was the first patient my doctor tried this with, but there is lots of evidence that it takes pressure off of the cervix. Google it and ask your doc...I really think mine helped a LOT.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Tags
27 weeks , cervix , preterm labor , twins

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search