Too many manual cervical exams???

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I am 23 Weeks pregnant with twins, and started having constant Braxton Hicks contractions last week. Since then, I have been to labor and delivery dept at the hospital every day for monitoring for the last 7 days. The contractions have not caused my cervix to dilate. I have had a manual cervical exam every day since last week, sometimes a couple times per day because the drs were really nervous that I may go into preterm labor. I am worried that all that poking around in there is going to make my cervix dilate! I have asked the drs if it will and they tell me no... Now that they know that the contractions are not causing any real harm, they are not going to do as many manual cervical checks anymore, but I am so nervous that they may have caused issues already from a Weeks worth of them!! Of course the only way to tell if the cervix is dilated is the manual exam! What do you think??
October 11th, 2012, 08:59 AM
kkhadivar
I know how you feel! First, to ease your mind a little, I had A LOT of manual checks when I started contractions at 22 weeks during my last pregnancy. And I never dilated from it. (I had a shortening cervix, but that was already being caused by all the contractions.) However, I too think the docs tend to go a little overboard with the checks! (I did end up with an infection, but I can't say if it was caused by all the internal checks.)

Did they check your cervical length with ultrasound?
October 11th, 2012, 09:57 AM
My cervix was checked and I also have a short cervix. 1.6... I'm nervous now because since all of the exams, I have a tiny bit of fluid coming out when I stand up from a laying or sitting position to a standing. Now I'm really starting to freak out! I am still having the BH contractions, but they haven't changed. I don't know if it's just because I've had a lot of activity down there, or if it's amniotic fluid! As of 22 hours ago, my cervix was totally closed. *sigh* This is all just so stressful...!!! It's almost too much to bear! Worrying about contractions, worrying about going into premature labor, worrying of my cervix is going to dilate, worrying about the shortened cervix, worrying about this fluid... Ugh... I've never been so stressed out in my life...
Did you carry your twins full term?
October 11th, 2012, 02:22 PM
kkhadivar
I just had a singleton. But I did make it to full term!! I was on complete bedrest from 23 weeks until 37 weeks. I was on procardia to keep contractions at a minimum. I had a home contraction monitor and sent the results to the nurses a couple times a day. If they were too out of hand, they sent me back to the hospital for terbutaline, monitoring, etc. It too was the most stressful time in my life. The side of my husband's hair went all white, b/c he was so worried.

All I could do was try to get through one week at a time. Our goal was 28 weeks. When we made it past 28 weeks, we were able to relax just a little. For me, the complete bedrest and procardia really helped. (I have a "Baby Stay In" meditation CD ready for this pregnancy to help with the stress, should it arise again.) I am praying for your little ones to stay in!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search