Lost twins due to preterm labor, thinking of trying again.

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Hello, my husband and I tried for a baby for almost 5 years. Finally, after IVF, we got pregnant with twins! Everything was going PERFECT up until 23 weeks. At 23 weeks, I began having contractions every 5 minutes. Over the next week and 2 days, I continued to contract every 5 minutes, and then every 2 minutes all day long. However, my cervix was never dilated. It did shorten from a 3.8 down to a 1.6, and began to funnel. I begged the doctors to put an emergency cerclage in, but they refused and said they don't do cerclages after 24 weeks, and I was too close to that 24 week mark. I begged for medication, and they refused to give me meds for the contractions, saying that since my cervix was not dilating, there was no need for me to be on meds. They told me to have strict bedrest. My second day on bedrest, I went into active labor. The contractions were extremely painful, so my husband drove me to Labor and Delivery, and I was already 10 cm dilated. I gave birth to my twins. They lived for 2 days... We are heartbroken! This happened 2.5 weeks ago... We want to try again. However, I am SCARED TO DEATH that something like this will happen again! We are going to wait a couple of months before going back to the IVF clinic to try again. Has anybody had this happen? I guess I'm looking for some success stories of people who have suffered a loss, but have successfully been able to carry a baby full term afterwards. And if you did carry full term, what precautions were taken??? What did they do for you to prevent preterm labor again??? Thank you!!!
October 30th, 2012, 02:17 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there!
My name is Valerie.. and I thought I would share my story with you. Four years ago, I gave birth to 24 week twins--one boy and one girl. This was after an emergency cerclage placement at 19 weeks and 5 weeks of bedrest. It was so traumatic. My son did not make it, he lived just 13 days but my daughter did survive and she is a very active 4 year old now.

In 2010, I carried a beautiful baby boy to term--39 weeks. This is what they did to help me:

-I had a routine cerclage placement at 14 weeks while the cervix was still strong and holding. ABSOLUTELY ask for this.
-I was placed on progesterone shots immediately following the cerclage to help prevent the uterus from contracting. They weren't fun, but they were effective and I only had one episode of pre-term contractions which they were able to stop.
-I was referred to a high risk obstetrictian where I was u/s every 2 weeks after the cerclage to check cervix length and make sure the baby was doing okay.

There are options, and your chance of carrying a healthy, full term baby are high! Try to take comfort in knowing there are a lot of advances to help ensure you have a great pregnancy. The most important thing is PREVENTION. Putting the cerclage in BEFORE it starts to thin, and having ultrasounds regularily before there is a problem with the baby.

If you ever need anything, feel free to PM me! Good luck to you in TTC

November 11th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search