We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I have been around here before to introduce myself, but wasn't ready to ask any questions.
I have two children, 4 and 15 months. My 4 year old was born at 37 weeks (but could very well have held off longer, doctor broke my water since I was at 4cm and labor stalled out...) and my son gave me some preterm labor at 30 weeks and was born when my water broke at 36 weeks. I had been on bedrest for 5 weeks and then was just starting to get up and move around again....
Anyway, I developed a DVT in my leg a few days after delivery. It was very small and in the popliteal vein behind my right knee. It was non-occlusive and didn't even close off the whole vein, I didn't show any of the usual symptoms for DVT.....just had a weird feeling in my leg and a bad feeling...
The clot was gone after 5 weeks (did an ultrasound) but I stayed on coumadin for six months. They did a complete blood panel to test for all known clotting disorders and they all came back fine.
I am just now starting to even consider the possibility of having a third child. I am really scared.
My OB is VERY conservative and preventative. She would like to treat me with preventative levels of Lovenox during my pregnancy. Another very good OB I saw for a second opinion says that hematologist research shows for my exact history of a clot being pregnancy/bed rest related with no clotting disorder, that you can go either way.....treat or not treat.
I think I would probably feel better knowing that we were preventing another clot....but I'm also scared about being on a blood thinner and delivering. Do any of you worry about hemmoraghing at delivery because of heparin?
What about those of you who have taken baby aspirin? Is that something I could suggest since I don't have a known clotting disorder and it seems it was just situational?
I would love some advice, thoughts, prayers, whatever you'd like to give. I would love to have another child, but I don't want to risk my life for it........I have two beautiful children that need me here.
Thanks for your thoughts!
SAHM to 4 yr. old sweet girl and 1 year old handsome little man!
JUST starting to think about TTC#3. It will take a lot of courage and prayers!
I have a clotting disorder, and I was on Lovenox/heparin during both of my pregnancies. I am on coumadin when not pregnant. If I were in your situation I would probably feel better erring on the side of caution and taking the anticoagulants during the pregnancy. I am a better safe than sorry kind of person.
I never worried about hemorage. Towards the end of your pregnancy you are switched from Lovenox to heparin because heparin can be easily reversed. With my first pregnancy I was switched at 32 weeks, and with my second I was switched at 36 weeks. I would imagine that with your history they would switch you earlier rather than later.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the standard protocol for ladies on anticoagulants during pregnancy is to induce labor. This allows the situation to be better controlled.
Hi! I too have a clotting disorder, and I have been on Lovenox for 3 pregnancies now. I also had a DVT in my calf that didn't move or cause any serious problems besides pain and swelling. It was actually after a loss and D&C, so we were aware of the issue before I was TTC again. I do not take bloodthinners except when pregnant. I am also a better safe than sorry kind of gal. It's certainly not enjoyable, but I find my peace of mind is worth it.
I HAVE worried about hemmorage, because I always seem to go into pre-term labor before I am switched to Heparin. I am a repeat c-sectioner too, and it always ends up being an emergency, so it is a big deal to me. However, I have never had a serious problem, and let me tell you that I've had a couple doozy deliveries. Now, there are always the scary stories out there, but for the most part, if your doctor is monitoring you well then things should be fine.
The knowledgable ladies on the HR board are always here with helpful information too, so ask any question, and they'll be as helpful as they can.
I just got diagnosed with factor 5 leiden and mthfr disorders and my doctor has me on baby aspirin daily for life and lovenox once I get another bfp. I am very scared about the side effects or bleeding risks on blood thinners so hopefully i will not end up having to take them or my fears will be put to rest.
Mindy & Josh Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7), & DD - Jane (0)
11/04 09/12 12/12
I don't frequent this board much, but I wanted to chime in since I am in my second pregnancy on both lovenox and asprin.
I tend to err on the side of caution and would prefer to take the blood thinners during pregnancy. I have never had a known clot, I tested positive for two clotting factors when we were looking into reoccurring loss. I take them as a way to keep the pregnancy healthy. They are like second nature now.
BUT, I have experienced a delivery while being on lovenox and it was not a problem at all. My first son was born early and had a very unhealthy cord/placenta because the blood disorder wasn't discovered. My second son was born early, but was much healthier. I had an all-natural childbirth (in a hospital) with my blood thinner medication being taken not 20 hours before my son was born (I took my asprin about 10 hours before he was born). I had no bleeding problems and I took my dosing as usual the next morning. I bled LESS on the blood thinners than I did off of them.
My doctor told me that being on blood thinners does not singularly place me in the high risk pregnancy category. So, since I have otherwise uncomplicated pregnancies, being on lovenox does not place me at undue risk of bleeding, clotting, or having a complicated birth. We were not even planning a scheduled induction at the time I went into labor (I went at 37 weeks with my second). We were waiting unti 39 weeks to make and decisions in that regard. Being on anticoagulants doesn't even disqualify me for a home birth, since we are close to a hospital and excessive bleeding generally has warning signs.
I understand the every-moms fear about something going wrong and leaving children behind. But I think that blood thinners are a fairly low-risk thing, especially since all of your care providers would know what to look for.
I think exploring your options with your doctors is a good thing. It does sound like your clot was more of a random occurrence, but I understand caution first. Asprin might be a great option for you.