Tumors and High Hcg...No Sac??

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Sorry if I don't know the abbreviations for posting, I'm new here. My LMP was 10-11-12 my first +HPT was 11-3-12. At 20DPO or 4w5d, I went to the Dr. They did a pelvic and said mu uterus was measuring 12 weeks!! I said "No Way!!" So they did a wand scan (trans vaginal?) and could not see a gestational sac and said it may be too early. So the looked at my ovaries and both ovaries are LOADED WITH TUMORS! They sent me for a quantitave Hcg and at 20DPO/4w5d my level came back at 3,900. Now everything I've read suggests the very high end of normal for a pregnancy further along, which according to the scan and LMP...NOPE. Twins/Multiples, my maternal grandmother had 2 sets of fraternal twins, my mother is a fraternal...So MAYBE? Or Down-syndrome...Who knows?? I'm 35 on my 12th pregnancy (lots of miscarriages) and I'm freaking out. I go back in the morning for 2nd Beta and at 1:30pm for a different scan (level 2?). I'm just wondering if there is hope/has someone else had #s this high or is it the tumors causing it?? I just need some support. I haven't told my husband yet, I was going to surprise him for his birthday on the 29th.
November 15th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a similar experience, but not exactly the same. After numerous losses, they had me come in for appointment at what we estimated was around 6 wks. We couldn't see anything via trans-vag u/s. No ovarian abnormalities. They sent me for quantitative hcg bloodwork, and it came back around 5,000 something. So they thought something was really wrong, because that was REALLY high for not being able to see anythin in-utero. Recheck blood work, it is increasing at a normal rate. Go back for second appointment and u/s a week later, we see an empty sac. I see a Perinatologist, and so he was really depressing, telling me this was not going to be a viable pregnancy that there should be more in there by now. Recheck in a week. Go back for third appointment, and I think we saw a baby and beating heart that time. But it was 3 agonizing weeks! Every lady's hcg numbers are going to be different, and every pregnancy is different. Keep your chin up!
captivate likes this.

November 15th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Im sorry your going through this. I dont really have any advice but im here to listen. I will keep you in my prayers. Please keep us updated.
November 15th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Okay, so I had another Beta first thing this morning and it came back at 7,600. So in about 40 hours it almost doubled. I went in at 1pm for another scan that finally picked up a sac but noting else besides what appeared to be fibroids? in my uterus. Also, the scan puts me at 4w6d?? So at 4w4d Hcg @ 3,900 40 hours later it was 7,600. Doesn't that seem high? The doc said we would have to take a "wait and see approach" and just "go on faith for now". He said until he can see the placenta clearly at 13 weeks, he can't say how the tumors will affect the pregnancy. "It depends on the placement of the placenta with the fibroids, IF the tumors/fibroids grow with the pregnancy, and IF the placenta has to compete for blood with the tumors." He measured one of the tumors on one of my ovaries and it was 8.4 cm=3.3 inches!! I freaked! At this point I'm hoping the "tumors" in my uterus are actually more sacs just too small to see this soon before they have to do something drastic and this is my last chance to have kids. Anyone know if these Hcg #s are high and is there a possibility that it is just too soon to see more than one at 4w6d?
November 15th, 2012, 05:24 PM
PS

@Wee3monkeys & @bcogoli Thanks for the replies, support and the prayer.
November 15th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have never had my hcg levels checked so i dont know what they should be but i do know that doubling is good. Have you told your husband?
November 15th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Yes, I told him this afternoon. It took about 10 minutes for it to sink in, but in all fairness I've been mulling on this for 3 days. He is happy but thinks that it is bittersweet.
November 16th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ya i completely understand how hard it can be to absorbe something like this.
We had a miscarriage earlier this year and then in sept we found out we are pregnant again. Then when i was 7 weeks we found out it was twins but baby B was not doing well. At 9 weeks we found out baby B died. At 12 weeks baby A is still doing great and growing big. It has been a little over 3 weeks for us and i still dont know how i feel.
Im so glad you have your husband for support. It is so hard to feel somewhat hopeless in a situation like this. I will keep praying for a great outcome. Just take it one day at a time.
November 16th, 2012, 12:38 PM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a sort of similar story:

I had increasing numbers like that, not quite as high, but they doubled every 48 hours like they were supposed to. Then at 6 weeks (I thought I should have been over 6 at that point) we saw an empty sac they said measured 5 weeks, come back in two weeks for reg appt and we should see baby and heart beating away. Go back in 2 wks (should have been almost 8-9 wks at that point) and still empty, but growing sac. Come back week later, do lab work (numbers still high) and still empty sac.

After 3 weeks I was finally diagnosed with a blighted ovum. I had cysts on my ovaries but none were quite that big.

I really hope all is well since you are still so early and should only be about 4-5 weeks I think from your LMP and hoping the next u/s brings good news for you. Good luck!

~Kristin~
November 16th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Here is some information from the American Pregnancy Association regarding hcg in pregnancy:

Guideline to hCG levels during pregnancy:
hCG levels in weeks from LMP (gestational age)* :

3 weeks LMP: 5 - 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks LMP: 5 - 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks LMP: 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
7 - 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
9 - 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
13 - 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
17 - 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
25 - 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml
Non-pregnant females: <5.0 mIU/ml
Postmenopausal females: <9.5 mIU/ml
* These numbers are just a GUIDELINE-- every woman’s level of hCG can rise differently. It is not necessarily the level that matters but rather the change in the level.

Remember, as I said, every woman and every pregnancy is different. Do you have other uterine issues? I have a severely tipped uterus, and that makes it really hard to see anything on early u/s until things are a bit bigger. This is one of the reasons why my hcg levels could be really high, and we still not see much via trans-vag u/s. Just another thought.

I do know other people who have experienced the blighted ovum too, but I'll hope things turn out better for you.

November 26th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry I'm popping in so late. How are you doing The7thtimesthecharm?

I'm praying for you and your LO.
December 6th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Darling 3 View Post
I'm sorry I'm popping in so late. How are you doing The7thtimesthecharm?

I'm praying for you and your LO.
Thank you all for the responses and the prayer. Sorry it has taken so long to respond, life just gets in the way sometimes. I went in on November 20th for a check-up and again the doctor couldn't see anything. So he sent me to the ER for a different scan (and yes, my uterus is tilted but I don't know what he called it). The tech saw a sack and a flickering heartbeat!! Yay!! I measured 5w4d. So when I go back on December 11th I should be 8w4d. The thing that has me worried is I still have NO pregnancy symptoms. I hope I am just lucky and it doesn't mean anything. But my neurotic self has to have SOMETHING to worry about, (besides the tumors) right? Lol. (Sorry, I don't mean to make light if the tumor situation, I just deflect and joke about stuff I guess as a defense mechanism. I mean stress never cured any illness that I know of?!)
December 7th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
IM SO HAPPY THERE IS A HEARTBEAT! Im sure you guys are extatic! I have been thinking about you, thank you so much for updating. I will keep you in my prayers.
December 7th, 2012, 10:02 AM

December 7th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Enjoy being symptom free for now. I'm sure by the 9th month you'll have plenty of symptoms.
December 11th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I went in for my check-up today and I lost the baby. Good luck to those of you who are pregnant. Hopefully you can keep yours. I failed.
December 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh sweetie you did not fail! Sometimes things like this happen and there is no reason and its not anyones fault. I do kind of understand how you feel but i dont want you to feel like you failed. Hopefully the next time will be alot easier.
December 11th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you lost the baby. You didn't fail. There are no right words I could tell you at this moment, but you are in my prayers.
January 7th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcogoli View Post
Oh sweetie you did not fail! Sometimes things like this happen and there is no reason and its not anyones fault. I do kind of understand how you feel but i dont want you to feel like you failed. Hopefully the next time will be alot easier.
So after almost a month of waiting for the baby to "fall out on its own" (I kid you not, that is the words the doctor said to me), I went in today to have it cut out because I have "yet to pass anything". The baby is alive and growing just fine, 5 days ahead of schedule in fact. ***??!! I have gone a month suffering through family and friends and Christmas and looks and comments about needing to have a D&C because it could be rotting in there making me sick... I've taken Prozac, ibuprofen, had a drink, haven't eaten right, haven't taken my vitamins, haven't done anything I'm supposed to do as a pregnant mother and done everything I shouldn't!! Now this doctor says "hmmm that's interesting." I freaked!! He said "you can be mad at me, your husband or yourself but don't be mad at this baby". Are you kidding me!! I'm pissed at the "doctor"!! He said he recommends genetic testing that way we can be 98% sure it is normal or not. And if it has 20 eyes and 60 fingers, I can decide to have an invasive procedure to terminate." WHAT?!?! If something IS wrong it's his fault for being a f*cking moron and my fault for trusting him!!! I am freaking out. I don't know how to feel or what to think! Please advise me.
January 7th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Veteran
find a new doctor -- first and foremost ---- then take your time and do your best to enjoy this miracle!

Tags
cancer , dpo , hcg levels , hpt positive , multiples

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search