Worried..SUA one umbilical artery and one vein

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By AmyLM
  • 1 Post By bcogoli
  • 1 Post By lsleicht
  • 1 Post By Ninky

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2012, 06:18 PM
So I have recently had an ultasound at 19 weeks. The doctor said my baby girl was completely healthy except for the part that they noticed she has only one artery and one vein when they are suppose to have two arteries and one vein. I have other test coming up on Tuesday to make sure she is not developing any problems.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced or is expericing SUA? I'm just worried and just want my little girl to be okay.
December 7th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My niece had this.if I remember correctly (and I might be completely mistaken) I think it is associated wit possible kidney problems like reflux. She had to be on antibiotics for a year and had several ultrasounds. She never had to have surgery though and hasn't had any other issues. She is 3 1/2 now and very healthy!
espin123 likes this.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
December 8th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont have any experience with this but i will keep you and that sweet baby in my prayers.
espin123 likes this.
December 8th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I've seen a few babies with that, and it doesn't necessarily mean anything to be concerned about. Baby may be a little smaller at birth or it can be a sign of other problems, but since the rest of the ultrasound looked good, try not to let it worry you.
espin123 likes this.
December 9th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Ninky's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I posted in your original thread, but I'll copy/paste what I wrote here.

My daughter also had SUA. It's actually pretty common. I remember being soooo worried when I first found out. Thankfully, my doctor was a real comfort. She told me it's pretty common and that I wasn't even the only one in her practice with it.

Basically, it just means the nutrients provided to the baby can be reduced than that of a normal umbilical. It can cause things like the organs not forming to standard, having a smaller baby (aka, it doesn't gain enough weight or is on the small side). Although what I said about the organs sounds scary, please please don't be worried.

What will happen (and this was from my experience), is you'll get monitored pretty closely. You'll have ultrasounds (at a high risk clinic, for me) probably about every 4 weeks to measure growth and check on the organs. As you get further along the ultrasounds will increase to every 2 weeks, and then at the end of pregnancy it'll be every week. All to check on baby's progress and growth. They may also throw is biophysical profiles, which is a fancy way of saying you'll get even more ultrasounds (lol) that will measure the baby's physical movements, and practice breaths.

When I gave birth to my daughter, she was 6 lbs, 7 oz. So, a tad small, but not a whole lot. As you can see from my signature, I have a healthy 4 year old now. What I said about the organs is just something that CAN happen, but more often than not, it's not the case. Just prepare yourself for the possibility, and also expect a smaller baby.

Hope this helped you!
espin123 likes this.

Pounds Lost Before Our Second Miracle: 57

December 9th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Thank you everyone. It has definitely made me feel much better. I was just getting a little worried since no one in my family or friends really know since they haven't experienced it and it was making me feel alone in this situation. We'll find out Tuesday how my little girl is doing :)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search