Bed rest. ugh.

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I'm 27 weeks gestation with our fifth child, and s/he is going to make it a little difficult. Contractions started last Sunday, built up to every 2-3 minutes for hours. I tried all the usuals to stop them: more fluids, rest, shower/bath...nothing worked. First trip to the hospital on Tuesday, getting a liter of fluids and brethine. I tried that for two days but the side effects were too too awful and contractions were still every 4-5 minutes. Another trip to the hospital and a change over to Procardia.

So, now we know that the contractions aren't changing my cervix and that as long as I am laying down, they are decreasing to 5 or less than hour.

When I sit up, they increase back to every 5 minutes and are hard, painful contractions. I had my last baby with pitocin and no pain medicine, so I do have a pain tolerance and I do know what real contractions feel like compared to braxton hicks. These feel like the real thing.

But, the procardia has made the contractions I am having weaker. It's also making me weaker, I think from bottoming out my blood pressure that is normally 90/60 anyway.

After 7 days, I'm getting less optimistic that this is a short term problem and more realistic that this bedrest may be for the duration. I'm really sad, angry, frustrated, and feeling helpless and guilty. My DH is stepping up in fabulous fashion, as is our network of friends who are bringing meals and transporting kids.

I know it's for the best, for the baby. But I just want to throw a big fat tantrum. And I guess I want to talk with someone else who is just as pouty and frustrated.
December 9th, 2012, 11:34 AM
First of all, let me say MAJOR kudos to you for being woman enough to manage four kids and still go for round five. That is impressive, especially to someone like me who comes from nearly as large a family and knows exactly how busy it can be! That's awesome.

I wish that I could offer some words of wisdom or support that would be perfect, but I am naught but a first-timer here (no kids until my twins arrive) and I am experiencing my own "***" moments with my pregnancy. I'm glad you are able to keep baby safe and inside for now, and I hope things brighten for you. You obviously have far more experience than I and know more about what's going on, but at the very least I am happy to be an ear, a shoulder, a friend in any fashion if I can.

I understand your frustrations in at least a small capacity... I am on bed rest for an indeterminable amount of time (shortening cervix at 31 weeks, so I may be here for another month or more, as long as they'll stay in) and my twins are getting impatient. I too am really upset and feeling rather helpless at this stage, so I get that completely. I'm a get-up-and-go kind of person so I'm miserable on bed rest already, and it's only been TWO DAYS!! What makes it all worse is my husband and I were just married a little over a week ago... confined to a bed with no "funny business" is not my idea of a honeymoon period.

I find myself incredibly emotional over this bed rest thing... I'm having problems feeling lazy and helpless, unattractive, starved for affection since my husband and I are so restricted in terms of intimacy (not to say he isn't wonderful and does his best to make up for it), and I'm constantly pouting and *****ing about SOMETHING.

So I say, throw your tantrum! I'm right here with you... I may not understand everything you're going through but I'm listening!
December 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM
kkhadivar
So sorry you're on bedrest! You can complain to me! I'm another pouty and frustrated mama...haha. My last pregnancy, I was on bedrest for four months with procardia...and brethine or mag in the hospital from time to time when contractions got too crazy. I really felt like no one around me understood just how hard it was. Now this pregnancy, at 21 weeks, I'm already on bedrest again. This time for shortened cervix again, plus IUGR as an added bonus. I'm really worried, but what can i do but take it one day at a time.

I usually have low blood pressure too, so the procardia didn't help. I just kept eating and drinking and doing the "alphabet" with my feet. I also used compression socks to prevent blood clots. My muscles atrophied a lot but I was so anxious to get moving after baby came, that I was able to get some strength back quickly. I'm still in denial about doing this all over again! I hope you find a bedrest routine that works for you! The good news is your cervix isn't changing so maybe you'll get to do modified bedrest at some point? I wish you and your fam the best and hope this pregnancy flies by for you!
December 11th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
!!! and Welcome!! I'm not much help on the bed rest thing, I've only been there for a couple weeks at a time. I've terribly sorry you are going through this so early though! What a pain! Don't feel guilty, there's nothing you can/could do about it. It is something you have to do for both your health and that of little man/miss. Thank goodness you have a fabulous helpful hubby, and friends to help. Accept their help, with 4 already, I know how desperately it is needed. I have four too, with a 5th on the way, and so keep notes on how you manage so I can emulate your masterful skills later. Good luck, and JM is a fabulous place to hangout and keep distracted!!

December 14th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I got put on bed rest with my son when i had him, I had started going into active labor at 4 months, so they put me on brethine and bed rest. You have 4 munchkins already, awesome btw!!! Why don't you get them to make a play for you or something??? Or send them on funny little quests around the house. My son was my first, but I had a lot of cousins who would entertain me. A couple of them put on a little play for me when I got tired of everything that was on tv, and was sick of reading and playing video games...lol. it made me smile, and feel better. After the first one, i was given a new play every week...lol. It was the craziest thing ever, but it might make them and you feel better. I know my little man loves to make Mommy feel better whenever I'm down and out, and they might enjoy it. It's fun to see where their imaginations might go. Also as for working thru the frustrations of being on bed rest, might I suggest some zombie shooting games. Fabulous for stress relief. Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead are my two favorites. After my two losses and then recovering from my two ectopics, that was how I stayed sane. Zombie shooting is awesome...lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search