Funneling short cervix **Updated**

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BubbaMcCulloch
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By Tinky

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2013, 11:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
Hello. I am 20 weeks and in the August 2013 DDC and last week at our anatomy scan we were found to have an enternal dilated short cervix. Last thursday we were at 1.7 and were put on bedrest with progestrone suppositiries of 200mg nightly. My OB switched me from the MFM that I was traveling to see ( hour and half away) to one on the base hospital. The new MFM did a check yesterday and the cervix is now down to 0.7

She decided we needed to do a cerclage. After talking to the surgeon she abruptly changed her mind and said that the evidence doesn't support the procedure. (Since I've no history of PTL) I am to continue the progestrone and take it easy but not worry about bedrest. Lifting nothing, only being on my feet for 15min. Come back in a week for a re-check. IF the cervix is shorter at that time we will reopen the discussion for cerclage.

I am scared, obviously. I don't really know what to expect. I tried looking about on the net and am incompetent in my research. I'm not even sure of what to aks let alone how to ask. How short is TOO short? Can it beef back up so to speak? When is a cerclage impossible to do, at what length? Any info you can give me would be so greatly appreciated.

**UPDATE, I went to my next check. Cervix is now a 1.1 and the MFM decided that since i was at max treatment and it seems to be woking, with no history I would be discharged from her care back to the Midwives. She doesn't feel there is a need for any more checks. I am still to do the progesterone, and follow a take it easy protocol. (she didnt say anything about pevic rest and we forgot to ask) I am some nervous just because but I have high hopes my MW will watch carefully. She is amazing and has taken good care of us in the past. The MFM was giving reasons I should come get checked. Water leaking/breakage, pains for more than 2 hours (I laughed, my labors have been 2 hours or less and pain isn't something I feel until right at the end.) bleeding etc. SOO I guess I am not high risk anymore. Is it ok If i still stay on the edges of things?

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13

Last edited by Tinky; March 30th, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
March 22nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Hi...so, SO sorry that this is happening to you. I know how stressful it is, and I want to send you big hugs!

I'm no expert...I'll just relay my experience and what I learned. I had this issue with my twin pregnancy; my doc started worry at 17.5 weeks. The numbers are fuzzy now, but I think I was around 1.5cm then. I was put on modified bedrest then, along with the progesterone suppositories. My length varied and even got up to 2cm at one point, but at 25 weeks it was between .75 and 1cm and never got longer. At that point I was on full bedrest, had the progesterone, and got a cervical pessary to take the pressure off. I also got the steroid shots to help the babies' lungs. My cervical length stayed the same until my water broke at 33w1d, and I had the twins that day. They were in the NICU for 4 weeks, but now they are 7 months old and the picture of perfect health. I consider my story a very happy ending considering the docs were prepping me to have micro-preemies!

Anyway, I was told that once you get much past 20 weeks, the risks of a cerclage outweigh the benefits. There is the chance of breaking your water, risk of you going into labor, infection, etc. and it is best to leave things alone.

I had a cervical pessary put in when I was around 24.5 weeks, and I think that helped a LOT. It is a fairly new thing to use it, but thankfully my MFM was really up-to-date on his stuff and wanted to try (I was his guinea pig). It basically looks like a plastic donut, and your cervix goes in the donut hole. It didn't feel very good when they put it in, but once in place I couldn't feel a thing. Maybe that is something you could ask your MFM about?

As to your question of how short is too short, as long as there is some cervix, you are okay. Mine stayed at around .75 for 8 weeks. Heck, even if your water breaks that doesn't mean it is over...my friend's water broke at 24 weeks and she delivered at 32 weeks!

I don't know if I'm helping at all, but mostly I just want to send hugs. I hope that your cervix stays put and keeps that baby baking for a long time!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

March 23rd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for your answers and your honesty. I am going to continue to worry, but if your was at .7 and you were able to hold out hopefully I will too.

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
March 26th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I would also ask about when they would start steroid injections for the babys lungs to mature?

I have not personally been through this but my sister has and because of this I am trying to do research which there isnt alot of. Im not sure how much you want to read up as not everyone has a success story but at the same time it may help you make an informed decision about your care so I have linked some stories/articles for you that I have found (if you read any of the posts from women, read them all as everyone has a different experience) :

wont let me post the links but even googling cervical suture / cerclage 20 weeks (forgive me as u prob already done this)

I know they arent all great stories but they are real from real women and if I were you Id want to know all I could, there is light at the end of every tunnel and I wish you all the luck in the world xxxx
Tinky likes this.
March 28th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had issues with PTL in both of my last 2 pregnancies. While I never got as low as .7, I did get below 2, but without funneling (at least in my last one). The cervix can increase in length during a pregnancy. I went from 1.9 to 4.2 in my last pregnancy. For me, I kept off my feet as much as possible and took it easy.

Good luck and definitely ask about the lung maturing shots.
April 1st, 2013, 02:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yay to the longer measurement! Stay around as long as you'd like.

BTW - I would definitely say you should be on pelvic rest, but check with your midwife.
April 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Congrats on the good news! Fingers crossed that everything stays the same or gets even better

I'd definitely take it as easy as you can and also put yourself on pelvic rest...the less stress "down there" the better.

Melissa & DH

April 1st, 2013, 05:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Teehee, the manbeast turned into a big whine bany so much for the stronger sex!

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
April 1st, 2013, 06:18 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
My DH thought he was going to die, too. Honestly sometimes it was nice to have pelvic rest as an excuse...I wasn't feeling very sexy when I was hugely pregnant with twins, but that didn't seem to bother him! Men
Tinky likes this.

Melissa & DH

April 2nd, 2013, 07:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Exactly!! The progestrone makes me itchy and burn, I definetly don't feel like friction right now.
KMH likes this.

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search