Cervical Incompetence/Insufficiency - Please comment!

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Hi All!!

I am new to the boards and this is my first post. I am hoping that some of you will be able to help me in my quest for information from other people like me & my sister.

First of all, I am 14 weeks 2 days & due 21st September with my first baby - while this is so exciting and I cannot wait, I am blighted with the worry that I may also have a condition which my older sister has suffered from and consequently lost two beautiful baby boys at 23 & 24 weeks ( she now has a beautiful 4year old daughter who was brought into this world with the aid of a cervical cerclage)

Now I have an appointment with a consultant next week following my request that they measure my cervix via transvaginal ultrasound. While I do not particularly want to have this procedure done, nor risk any infection to my unborn baby - the risk of losing my child in the manner that my sister done is just not a thought which I can bear.

I have researched for so long but there is so little answers and nobody wants to believe that this condition is genetically or hereditarily linked so my question is PLEASE - Have any of you experienced this in families or had any familial links?????????????????? The indications they give for cervical incompetence to my knowledge, never actually link with the people who this happen to so any background info on any of you who have had it and maybe why you think it occurs, I would be so grateful of. I know the consultant is going to tell me not to be stupid but losing 2 small babies is devastating not something you take lightl.

Sorry to ramble but I am trying to gather evidence- ALL help is appreciated and I would be gratfeul to hear your stories!!!! THANKS GUYS xxxxx
March 26th, 2013, 10:06 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I have never heard that it is hereditary, but I can completely understand your concerns...I think I'd be worried, too!

Having a transvaginal ultrasound is not really risky...I had my cervical length measured probably 20 times during my twin pregnancy because my cervix was giving out way too early. It can be slightly uncomfortable, but it literally takes only a minute and then you'll have the peace of mind you need to breathe a little more easily. Good luck!
BubbaMcCulloch likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

March 26th, 2013, 10:12 AM
The midwife was trying to put me off by saying things like "you could introduce infection" & "you dont want to add risks that are not there" so I began thinking maybe I am over reacting but I have such strong feelings about this and you will know yourself, you will do anything to have a healthy baby & if something did occur and I didnt do anything about it, Id never forgive myself !! xx thank you for your input it really is appreciated xx
March 28th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The risk of infection? I had my cervix measured probably 15-20 times in my last pregnancy and that was never brought up.

I have not heard of a hereditary link either. I'd do the check for the peace of mind.
April 21st, 2013, 10:28 PM
I have had cervical problems with my pregnancies, and my sister has not. 2 of her 3 kids had to be induced after her due dates, so hopefully it's not hereditary.

The chance of infection is almost zero. The probe is sterilized between patients, and there is a cover over the probe, even though it is sterilized.

I hope your scan went well, and you are more reassured than you were before the scan.
After a long year of infertility, miscarriages and surgeries, we are finally expecting TWO sticky baby boys!! PCOS, 4 Clomid cycles and a BFP!! Quant @ 10 dpo - 14.2 quant at 18 dpo - 1459!!!!
April 21st, 2013, 10:28 PM
I have had cervical problems with my pregnancies, and my sister has not. 2 of her 3 kids had to be induced after her due dates, so hopefully it's not hereditary.

The chance of infection is almost zero. The probe is sterilized between patients, and there is a cover over the probe, even though it is sterilized.

I hope your scan went well, and you are more reassured than you were before the scan.
After a long year of infertility, miscarriages and surgeries, we are finally expecting TWO sticky baby boys!! PCOS, 4 Clomid cycles and a BFP!! Quant @ 10 dpo - 14.2 quant at 18 dpo - 1459!!!!
April 22nd, 2013, 05:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had cervical issues with my DD, i started dialating at 29 weeks. I got my cervix checked atleast 10 times so far with this pregnancy. It so quick and very sterile. Hopefully you get some peace of mind.
April 24th, 2013, 07:49 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There was a member on these boards a few years ago who lost her 22wk baby boy due to cervical incompetence. Her half-sister also had this issue and lost her baby as well. While I don't think there is anything that can show this is heriditary, it does not take the anxiety away when someone so close has been through this. That member went on to have a cerelage in her next pregnancy and went to term.

In my state, it is standard practice as of 2yrs ago to measure the cervix at the NT scan done between 11 and 13wks and again at 20wks. Even if you never had an issue in a previous pregnancy, there is no ryme or reason for cervical incompetence. Since it is standard to check the length now at exams, in no way would that be a hightened risk. This exam saves babys, pure and simple. Wishing you the best of luck at your exam, and Im so sorry for your sister's loss.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search