SCH in pregnancy- what is the plan?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lucy S.

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
My sister is 12 weeks along and has a Subchorionic Hematoma. She has been bleeding or spotting on an off since 8 weeks.
Basically every time it happens she is told to wait it out and during her next appointment they will look for a heartbeat because there is nothing they can do. The never even did any measuring and just use what the ER said from the first ER visit.
Is this normal? To act like there is nothing to do but hope you don't loose it and they can't do anything for her? Shouldn't they be monitoring her or something?!? She wakes up covered in blood all over her sheets and has had clotting. Seems about every weekend we go through this.

Advice would be great!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

April 8th, 2013, 10:31 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
hey Lucy, i'm so sorry your sister's going through this....this is pretty much what happened to me. While they brought me in & monitored me every time bleeding increased (I had a couple significant bleeds, probably similar to your sisters) it is pretty much treated as a waiting game - and for about the first month they told me at every check that it was 50-50% whether the SCH would cause m/c of the baby.

If the bleeds get significant enough, her doctor may put her on bedrest (mine did from 11-14wks due to severity of the last bleed). Some doctors will treat with a blood thinner - I was already on one, so I don't know if mine would have chosen to do so - but thinking is mixed on this as blood thinners can sometimes make the bleed worse.

Basically she'll either reabsorb the blood from the SCH, or she'll continue to bleed it out. She should be on pelvic rest (no sex, no exercise, no lifting) and even if they haven't formally put her on bedrest, getting off her feet & laying down as much as possible can't hurt either. I'm sorry she's going through this - if it helps, my SCH now appears to be resolved - but it took several months of bleeding. I hope she has a similar result & can start to enjoy her pregnancy soon (((HUGS)))

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 8th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Hey there! I had a very large SCH that ruptured when I was 15 weeks along. Before 24 weeks, there really is nothing that can be done. After 24 weeks, they'll try to stave off preterm labor and miscarriage if she shows signs. I have a blog in my signature you can check out with what happened with my SCH and there's an article in there that explains what they are. I was on bed rest for the entirety of my second trimester.

Basically, there are a few things that can happen with an SCH... it can bleed itself out, it can reabsorb, or it can form a clot and hang on and cause problems with the placenta. Much of this depends on its location. Is it up high, behind the placenta, down low near the cervix, or floating around anywhere in-between? I've discovered size doesn't so much matter as to the location. Thankfully, mine was down by my cervix and it bled itself out.

I know how terrified your sister probably is right now. For many weeks I woke up wondering if I'd go back to sleep and still be pregnant that evening. There's nothing I can really say to comfort her other than that a great majority of ladies I talked to who were in the same boat as I was now have healthy babies and mine resolved itself too. Tell her to do exactly what her body says: if she's tired, she needs to sit down; if she's crampy, she needs to lie down... Do not let her over-exert herself. But when the bleeding stops and she feels better, she's free to do whatever she pleases!

My Boring Blog
April 8th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Thank you ladies so so much!!
I am frustrated because we know nothing about the SCH and the dr just doesn't care until now I guess. We didn't even know where it was at until today when she emailed my sister to finally put her on disability after the last bleed.
She said it was behind her placenta but she is going off the ER scan because she didn't see it on the quickie she did last week. AND we still dont know what size or anything.
My sister keeps asking me questions and I don't have the answers!

I am trying to get her to switch to the high risk OBGYN in the practice.
Purrrrrrr likes this.
Due with #3
My blog

April 9th, 2013, 06:15 AM
She really needs to go see a perinatologist who has a good ultrasound machine. The one I went to go see was AWESOME. My OB has a really nice fancy one, but this one out-shone it by a mile. When I went to the emergency room, they couldn't even see the friggin' thing on theirs and it was enormous.

If it's behind the placenta, chances are, she'll bleed periodically until it's gone or reabsorbed or she delivers rather than the bleedathon I had. That's probably why she's having gushes sporadically.

There's also not a lot of research done on SCHs, especially in the second and third trimester, so it doesn't surprise me the doctor didn't tell you much. While I love that my midwife tried to not freak me out when I was diagnosed, I wish she would've just said, "look, there's a 50-50 chance of continuing this pregnancy" rather than finding things on google (which I do not recommend because people always post their horror stories, but never post their successes). There's a group on facebook she can request to join too ("Living with a Subchorionic Hematoma) that's been really helpful to me.

My Boring Blog
April 9th, 2013, 01:59 PM
^ thank you!
I will tell her about it!
I am hoping she can see a perinatologist soon. She has a scan tomorrow for women over 35yo? Not sure what it is but I am hoping they will check out the SCH.
If not I am going to raise h*** at her next apt since she is so bad at advocating.
Due with #3
My blog

April 10th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Super Mommy
I have one of these too, it makes me very nervous.

purrr (sorry I don't see your name ) Mine is kind of opposite the baby, it was discovered at my 6w3d us and I'm 7w2d today. The baby is around 10 0clock in the sac and the SCH goes from about the 7 to the 4, below the sac. Does that mean its not directly under the placenta? I haven't had any bleeding or spotting, not sure if that's good or not.

Mommy to five wonderfully crazy kids
DD10, DS8, DS7, DS5 and DD 18m
Expecting Baby #6 EDD 12/3/13
April 10th, 2013, 11:46 PM
So my sister had her NT scan done and it was horrible!
her PAPPA was .39 but the NT was fine. Her chances of Down Syndrome 1:40
After a day of her crying, we read online that the SCH can cause false +.
When he did the u/s he saw the SCH right away and said it was large and "bending" the placenta. I think this caused the results to be so poor but we will get her Harmony results in a week.
Until then she is asking to be sent to a Perinatologist who knows about low PAPPA. I read that the chances of UGR is much higher.
I am scared for her and still mildly confused.
just when I thought it couldn't get worse, it is.

I also didn't mention this but my nephew (her son) has a terminal genetic disease she is already dealing with So unfair. Johnathan's Dreams is his site. She doesn't need or deserve any of this. She said she is getting her tubes tied after this baby because she can't take it.
Due with #3
My blog

April 15th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psboden View Post
I have one of these too, it makes me very nervous.

purrr (sorry I don't see your name ) Mine is kind of opposite the baby, it was discovered at my 6w3d us and I'm 7w2d today. The baby is around 10 0clock in the sac and the SCH goes from about the 7 to the 4, below the sac. Does that mean its not directly under the placenta? I haven't had any bleeding or spotting, not sure if that's good or not.
I have no idea... also, the shape and position of the SCH can change too. With my first pregnancy, I only had a tiny bit of spotting with my SCH and it just kind of went away. From what I understand, the ones found in early pregnancy have a good chance of just reabsorbing on their own. The more advanced ultrasound machines get, the better they are at spotting SCHs, and they're finding a lot of women have them and they're a common cause of spotting during the first trimester.

Will they be doing another US to check on it? You should ask them then. Depending on their machine, they might be able to tell you if it's actively bleeding or a clot of old blood too.

My Boring Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search