Gestational Diabetes and I think my doctor is wrong

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rebeccabaltimore and more

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2013, 01:40 PM
KeLLiC09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was diagnosed with GD on Monday, June 17th. I saw my dietitian on June 19th and got my meter and have been pricking my finger 4x a day, everyday. First thing in the morning for my fasting number, 2 hours after breakfast, 2 hours after lunch and 2 hours after dinner. I'm allowed 45g/breakfast. 15g/snack. 45g/lunch. 15g/snack (if I decide to take it between lunch and dinner). 45g/dinner. And then my 15g/snack if I didn't have it between lunch and dinner. I have been following this diet well, cut out a lot of carbs but noticed I was getting very dizzy at times. My numbers were low. Lower than what they were suppose to be according to the dietitian. I did a test last Sunday with food and pretty much ate what I normally would. I had 2 pieces of chicken with honey bbq sauce, potato salad, macaroni salad, broccoli with cheese and a 20oz sprite because I started to get the shakes. My number was 78. It needed to be between 90 - 120. I called my doctor on Monday, June 24th and asked her if I could do the 3 hour test again or have an A1C test done. She denied both saying I failed the 3 hour so bad. I told her that I honestly think they received the wrong results. My husband works for a medical software company and does the coding for labs when they send in their results and he's seen them mix up the results before. Plus there were 3 of us doing a 3 hour test that morning and we were all getting our blood drawn at the same time. My doctor told me that I should call my dietitian because my meter was most likely broken or they needed to up my food amount. I called the dietitian and she tells me to "eat normal". What does that mean? Go back to how I was eating before having the GD? Because I'm eating the same thing now with the diet as I did before having to go on the diet, minus a piece of cake here and there or frozen yogurt occasionally.

Fast forward to today. I'm at work, having lunch, salad with some cherry tomatoes, a chewy granola bar and veggies (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and cherry tomatoes). I tested 2 hours after I ate which was at 12:30pm and my level was 141. I didn't eat anything out of the norm to make it jump up like that. I have to keep a food log so they will see what I ate. I had 2 slices of pizza last night (I had to give in to a craving just once!!) and my number was 115. I'm not sure what to think about it all. I just tested again and my level was 78. I'm wondering if because I hate the granola bar almost 40 mins after my salad if that could have been a reason.?
and Mason Jacob born 08.12.13

July 1st, 2013, 07:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have not had GD, but my DH is T1 diabetic. Pizza is a tricky food. In the body, it isn't digested like other foods; it takes several hours, much longer than most food. This will throw your numbers off for about a day, or 12 hours. This could help explain the 141 you had.

Stress and pain will also affect how your numbers. Lastly, each person is different. Your body will process the food differently than other people, and differently at various times of the day (morning vs night).

Keep the food journal with your numbers. This will help your dietician and you determine what's going on and if you truly have GD.

Good luck and KUP!
July 1st, 2013, 03:02 PM
talscot's Avatar Veteran
Some people are unable to control GD with diet and different foods affect peope differently.
July 25th, 2013, 07:48 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
You have to be careful with foods with large amounts of sugar. At first they make your sugar go high. And then you crash. I'm not at all surprised that you had a 78 after having a Sprite. You also need to pair carbs and protein, to keep your sugar stable. But watch out for fat. It will keep your carbs from being absorbed quickly enough. I am a Type 2 diabetic, and I remember one time I had a slice of cheesecake at a birthday party. That was stupid, because all the fat kept the carbs from being processed fast enough, so my body ran out of carbs and I crashed.

What are your fasting numbers? Fasting numbers are a solid indicator of GD.
TaraJo29 likes this.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

August 9th, 2013, 11:18 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think your doctor probably didn't make a mistake. What you said makes sense if you realize this weird phenomenon: If your blood sugar spikes enough after you eat a meal (e.g. the macaroni salad, etc meal), your body will try to slam it with insulin (but a little late since it already spiked) and then you will actually see a low number by the time you test your BS with your meter. Hence the 78. That exact thing has happened to me before and I was puzzled until I realized what was happening.

My Endocrynologist recommends I take my sugar 1 hour after I finish eating. I suspect if you would have taken it an hour sooner you would have seen the high number before it dropped like a rock. Lows are even more dangerous for you in the short-term than high blood sugar is, so that's why you need to follow the diet. You may need to eat LESS carbs than your dietician recommended to you in order to not have spikes and lows by the time you take your sugar with your meter. You really have to fiddle with your diet and possibly ask about taking your sugar sooner to see what's going on (or just take it at 1 hr in addition to the 2 hrs).

And, like the PP said, your fasting bs is a good indicator because it's not affected by food as much as your postprandials are. If it's over 100 you definitely have GD. My Endo wants it to be below 90.

Again, on the low bs, one of the lowest lows I've ever had was a 54 when I suddenly started feeling really sick to my stomach and super tired. I was probably minutes away from passing out when I realized it was only 54. BUT I ate a meal from McDonald's with french fries & juice!! (This was when I didn't think I had diabetes.) So how did I have such a super low low? Because my bs spiked, my body slammed it with insulin, plus I had been pushing my kids around the merry go round, and there you have it. My endo said that is called "reactive hypoglycemia." When you have diabetes your body loses the ability to intricately adjust your insulin needs, which causes highs AND lows.

Take care of yourself! You don't have long to go and it's frustrating, but try to get it under control so your baby has no blood sugar problems after birth.

[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search