Pregnancy after weight loss surgery.

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By megs_babe1986
  • 1 Post By rebeccabaltimore and more
  • 1 Post By AmyLM
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By Spottts
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By Jonesyslady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Trying to find others who are pregnant after weight loss surgery. And wondering how it affected your pregnancy.
TIA
August 26th, 2013, 12:22 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I had two pregnancies after a gastric lap-band. One ended in stillbirth but for entirely unrelated reasons. The second ended in a healthy baby boy who is now 3. I had no issues at all during pregnancy.

I have a friend who got pregnant after a gastric sleeve. She had to up her protein intake quite a bit and was closely monitored, but she had a healthy baby boy.

I have a friend who got pregnant after a radical gastric bypass. She was featured on a TLC program called the 600 pound women. She had lost at least half of that at the time she got pregnant. Her dietary intake was closely monitored and she had to take prescription vitamins, but she delivered a healthy baby girl. She had the gastric bypass specifically because whe wanted to be a mom and it was unsafe to do it at her starting weight.

The doctor who did my lap-band will not perform bypasses on women who intend to have more children, but he is the only doctor I know who is like that.

What kind of surgery did you have and when did you have it? How much have you lost, and are you still losing? Have you been pregnant before?

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

August 26th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Thank you for your reply. I had surgery about 5 years ago, and I have a lap-band. I was just at the weight where my doctor would do the surgery (in fact I was 2 pounds under, but he wasn't going to make me gain the 2 pounds), and I had lost a little over 50 pounds when I started having issues with my band and also when we decided we'd try for another child. So I had my band completely drained to make sure I wasn't having any more issues, and therefore gained back almost half of that weight. My specific issue I was wondering if anyone else had was with the lap-band after I eat I often feel sick, or even sometimes the food will come back up. And it's hard for me to tell sometimes if it's the band or the nausea that is making me feel sick.
August 28th, 2013, 08:18 PM
I have had my band drained, post pregnancy (like 3 years post). My band made throw up during the pregnancy but it wasn't an issue. In general, lap bands aren't a problem, especially drained. Have they determined the cause of the nausea? Mine is caused by reflux - when I have that managed, I'm not often nauseous.

August 30th, 2013, 10:58 PM
My reflux has been under control for awhile (since they drained the band). Sometimes I'm just not sure if I'm feeling nauseas from being pregnant or from my food or band. It just comes and goes so much, and when it's gone, it's gone for days. Maybe I should try my calcium chews again and see if those help. Thanks.

September 2nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to megs_babe1986
I had a friend who got pregnant within a week after her surgery. Now the little boy is 2 and she had no problems with her pregnancy !
Boos Moo likes this.

September 2nd, 2013, 07:37 PM
Try ginger chews. They're magic.
Boos Moo likes this.

September 4th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had rny gastric bypass 11 years ago and I've had 3 babies in the last 4 years. No issues with it at all.
Boos Moo likes this.

Mom to 4 beautiful kids! 3 on Earth and 1 in heaven. Our little girl, Matilda Hope had Down Syndrome. She was born with TMD, a disease that is like leukemia. She fought that and beat it. Then, she had liver failure. She beat that, too. On October 17, 2014 she had NEC, necrotizing enterocolitis. My baby went to Heaven on October 19, 2014. She lived exactly one month.
September 5th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks ladies

January 1st, 2014, 07:55 AM
Veteran
I had the sleeve almost 6 months ago and I am now pregnant with twins. I am also really nervous. I don't know how I'm going to get enough protein in to support 3 of us.

I lost a total of 86lbs and I am 20lbs from my goal weight which I'm starting to reconsider.

January 1st, 2014, 08:57 AM
bklynmomma, I find that I have to snack throughout the day to feel like I'm eating enough. The babies will take what they need first and then you. So you might actually lose a little weight at first.
Congrats.
bklynmomma likes this.

January 1st, 2014, 10:32 AM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had the surgery but I did have twins. One way to easily increase protein, etc is to drink Ensure or Boost if that's an option for you. I found they helped nausea also. My FIL had one of the surgeries and I remember he had a lot of restrictions at first.
bklynmomma likes this.
January 1st, 2014, 11:32 AM
Jonesyslady's Avatar Veteran
Hi Im Sara and Im new here. I had the lapband in 2007 and lost 110 lbs but since gained a lot back due to fertility meds I took in early 2013.... but anyway, I am 6w1d pregnant(al natural ) and was wondering if ill need to drain my band? Idont have vomiting so I don't see why I should.

DECEMBER 27,2013 BFP!!! EDD 8/26/14 Changed to 9/4/14

January 1st, 2014, 02:33 PM
Hey Sara, you'll want to discuss that with your weight loss doctor and your ob/gyn. For me one of the reasons they sent me to a high risk doctor was because of my lapband. We could have different needs than other patients.
I didn't have vomitting, some occiasional spitting up though, but for me I chose to have mine drained to make sure I didn't have any eating issues (keeping food down, getting enough, etc).
Chances are if you're taking in enough calories and don't have reflux issues they'll say your good, but doesn't hurt to call to check it out.
Congrats again.
Jonesyslady likes this.

January 1st, 2014, 02:36 PM
Jonesyslady's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boos Moo View Post
Hey Sara, you'll want to discuss that with your weight loss doctor and your ob/gyn. For me one of the reasons they sent me to a high risk doctor was because of my lapband. We could have different needs than other patients.
I didn't have vomitting, some occiasional spitting up though, but for me I chose to have mine drained to make sure I didn't have any eating issues (keeping food down, getting enough, etc).
Chances are if you're taking in enough calories and don't have reflux issues they'll say your good, but doesn't hurt to call to check it out.
Congrats again.
Thanks so much!! Its great to have a preggo buddy/fellow lapbander on here!!!
Boos Moo likes this.

DECEMBER 27,2013 BFP!!! EDD 8/26/14 Changed to 9/4/14

January 1st, 2014, 07:12 PM
Yeah I pretty much thought I was the only one. IRL I only know one person who has had surgery, and she had the bypass.

January 2nd, 2014, 05:34 AM
Veteran
Yeah I was a little surprised we didn't have a pregnancy after weight loss surgery forum.

January 2nd, 2014, 07:10 AM
When I asked about it they said to put my post in the high risk area. I didn't think having had surgery meant I was high risk. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search