Baby measuring too small :/

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2014, 10:46 AM
Veteran
Hello!

My name is Liz and I'm 34 weeks, 2 days pregnant with my third baby, a little girl named Eliza. I have a 6 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. Both of their pregnancies I had no issues, had a c-section with my son and a vbac with my daughter, I hope to have another vbac with this pregnancy. On Jan. 29th, 2014 I had my 3rd ultrasound to check on Eliza's growth etc. I got a call yesterday (scan was done this last Wednesday) and the nurse said that (my doc gave her the info to tell me) my daughter is measuring small and my doctor wants me to do stress tests once a week from now on and now have another ultrasound schedule 3 weeks out. When I was at the ultrasound I was 33 weeks and 6 days she weighed 4lbs 1 ounce (+/- 11 ounces) and she was only measuring 30 weeks gestation (ultrasound put my newest due date as April 1st, my due date is March 13th). She told me not to worry (easier said than done!) and that my doctor is being cautious and wants to keep a close eye on her. I've been told to really keep track (even more so) her movements and to take is easy at home (take naps, rest a lot). Right now they don't know why she is small.. I have not been told it's IUGR yet. I am slightly low on iron but they aren't worried about that (normal iron levels are from 13-17, I'm 12.5). She said I'm doing everything right with my eating/taking prenatal etc. I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this and has any advice for me, I can't help but worry.. but really honestly trying not to. I just can't understand why she's small, my daughter was 8lbs. 4 ounces. I'm 5 2", my hubby is 5 11 (?). My grandma is just under 5 feet tall so who knows? They said it could be that she's just gonna be small, the placenta may not be functioning 100% or for some reason my body is having a hard time supplying baby and I the food etc we need (hence taking it easy but I'm not under weight and I'm gaining weight). I have a doc app. this monday so I can ask my million questions racing through my head. He is a very good doctor and I'm happy he is keeping a close eye on her and not taking any chances. He wants her in me as long as possible though I fear if she doesn't improve in size that I might be looking at another c-section and early due date (however I'm all for it if it means she needs it, her needs are above my own desires). Anyways, sorry to unload and make this really long.. this has really taken me back as both my other two pregnancies where just fine (no family history of any premature babies on either side) and my greatest fear in life something happening/going wrong with my babies. ugh lol
February 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs sweetie. Just keep in mind that sometimes babies are just small and still just fine. My babies tend to be larger, but a friend has small babies and they need no extra time at the hospital or anything, they're just smaller.
I'm glad they'll be monitoring you more. KUP about your appointment.

February 4th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Veteran
Did they measure her abdomen? That's the best way to diagnose IUGR. Another early sign id extra blood flow to brain. What my peri told my is that your body will take care of brain & heart first. Thus, the extra blood flow. They should also be able to tell with a detailed US if their is enough blood flow from placenta. I'm going through this now and have been through it before. I am on bed rest now at 31 weeks. My girl is measuring 1 week behind but her abdomen is two weeks behind. I had high BP last week and spent 3 days in the hospital. It may or may not be related. I now see the both the OB and perinatologist once a week with a weekly US. She was 2lb 15oz at 30 weeks 5 days. So barely in the 10th percentile. Under 10th percentile, babies are classified IUGR.

Just stay on top of things as I'm sure you are and make sure OB is taking it seriously! Hugs and Good luck! I have a friend who is an OB nurse and they see babies that are supposed to be IUGR who are completely fine!

Kara

February 9th, 2014, 01:49 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
My sister and I were small babies. Both smaller than my brothers, and they were twins, born at 37 weeks. Nobody knows why we were small - all 4 of us had the same parents - we just were. We both caught up after birth and, 3 decades later, we have both given birth to healthy, normal sized baby boys.

If she doesn't improve in size, conventional logic would be to NOT take her early, unless they find the cause. At over 4 pounds, birthweight alone would not indicate NICU care. 4.5 pounds and below means a NICU stay, and she'll be over that pretty soon. The other thing to remember is that u/s are routinely off on weight measurements. Sometimes WAY off, especially at the high and low ends of the curve. It's not an entirely exact science. She may be bigger than she is measuring. My son had to be delivered early, and we were expecting him to be five and a half pounds or so. He was six and a quarter. Do everything your doctors tell you, but try not to worry too much.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

February 12th, 2014, 04:37 PM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
I think the ladies above covered all the bases pretty well! I'll just add that I can guess how you are feeling, as my most recent ultrasounds are putting little one a week or two behind (I'm 30 weeks). It's scary because your thoughts start racing and you wonder how you can get those measurements in the "normal" range again but have no idea why they aren't in the first place! Can drive a woman nuts. But then I suppose we just have to remind ourselves to not get too caught up in size or what's "average" and just do the best we can. Chances are, your baby is and will be perfectly healthy. Keep the faith (I'll try to do the same!).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search