Hashimotos Hypothyroidism

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2014, 09:17 PM
zcodm's Avatar Member
Looking for some info and reassurance I guess...

I am 32 year old mum to 5 beautiful kids 11,7,5,2,2.
I have just found out that I am again pregnant, not planned .

A year ago I was diagnosed with auto-immune Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism.
I am a little concerned with the risks involved from what I have read there is little risk to me but more risk to the baby, including congenital hypothyroidism.
I have been to doctors today who told me that my thyroid levels are concerning her and I now have to increase the thyroxin that I am taking. Also my iron stores are depleted, so as you can imagine I am like the walking dead soooo tired.
The more I read on the internet the more I am freaking myself out, so I am wondering if there is anyone that has had hypothyroidism during their pregnancy and whether they can shed some light on the topic.
Thanks in advance
June 4th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have hypothyroidism. I've had it for probably 20 years now. I am currently pregnant with my 4th baby. It has never been a problem. They check my thyroid levels periodically throughout my pregnancies but it has never been a problem and I've never needed my dose adjusted.

Congratulations on your new baby!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
July 9th, 2014, 09:14 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
I am a also one who had Hashimoto's and I also work for an Endocrinologist.

Hypothyroid is not something that alone is considered high risk in pregnancy is managed. As long as you are having your levels monitored anywhere from ev 1 to each trimester and having your medication adjusted it is of no big deal.
The time it is of high risk is when it is untreated or undiagnosed.

Risk to the baby again is not a concern as long as it is being managed and treated accordingly.
As such with anything, the baby will have an increased risk of developing hypothyroidism sometime in life but it is not a concern.

In my case, both my parents have thyroid disorders, my mom Hashimoto's and my dad hypothyroid, along with numerous relatives with thyroid problems so I was just about guaranteed to have some kind of issue. My daughter's pediatrician said due to such a strong family history if we start to see any symptoms in her then we will do blood work to check it but other than that there is nothing to do or worry about.

Sorry so much info I hope this helps ease your mind.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search