We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I am 34 weeks pregnant and have been having alot of preterm labor problems. I am a first time mother. I am currently a loose 1cm to 2cm dialated and 50% effaced. I have been to the hospital so much that I feel as tho I live there. I am a very petite and small person and my son feels like he's too large. My doctor told me to plan on having him early. I have been having alot of problems with contractions, which they attempt to stop each time I visit the hospital and with some prescription drugs I have at home, but they always seem to come back just as strong. I have also been feeling pressure and my son kicking very low, but I dont think that he's dropped. My water hasn't broken and I havent bled any, but each time I have been checked my sons head is pointing down. He seems as though he doesn't want to be in me any more. At what point will they just let the labor progress? And I dont understand why they keep giving me medication that doesn't work and only seem to give me horrible side effects. Is it safe to have my child at 35 weeks? I havent been getting any straight answers from anyone around here because no one will listen to my concerns. Please someone out there, please help me
(((HUGS))) I can only imagine what you are going through for I myself dont have personal experience with preterm labor. But if I were you I would try my hardest to try to make it to 36w. 2 more weeks can make all the difference. Have you had an ultrasound recently? If so what was the babies approximate size and how are all the organs doing?
If you end up in the hospital again before 36w and they insist on stopping labor then I suggest that you request and u/s to find out the babys approximate weight and to check on the organs--that's if you dont know the answer all ready.
If I were you and go into labor after 36w I would tell them not to stop labor. But I'm not a dr and the decision is up to you. Stay strong.
My drs. let me have my daughter at 36 weeks and everything was okay. With my son once they took me off the meds to stop preterm labor I lasted to 37 weeks and they let me go then too. So I would say if you could hold on til 36 weeks they would let you go. good luck
Well it sounds like you have some really good doctors to me. Although it may not seem that the meds are working the fact that you have not gone into labor yet tells me that they are helping. You do not want to have a baby this early. Your baby would probably be under four pounds. My son was born at 33 weeks and has a ton of health problems. He was in the NICU for two weeks. He came home on an apnea monitor because he would stop breathing. He had trouble feeding and was/is failure to thrive because of problems that are likely related to him being born so early. The longer you can keep your baby in the womb the better. I would try to make it to 37 weeks no matter how ready you are to have your baby. Stay off your feet, drink plenty of fluids and go up to the hospital every other day if you have to. Please visit the preemies board too if you would like more support.
ETA: My dd was born at 36 weeks. Two weeks makes a huge difference. It doesn't seem like it but a lot happens in those two weeks.
Your docs problaby want you to get to 36 weeks. The lungs have a better chance of being ready to work. I have to have amnio at 36 week to check for lung function before they do the c-section. Just think 36 weeks is still four weeks early. You are aiming for preterm NOT PREMATURE. There is a difference
I was given 2 steriod shots to develop his lungs more quickly. The last time I had an ultrasound...when I was about 7 months pregnant..he was 3 and a half lbs. and all the organs were developing well. What does it mean when I am 50% effaced? His head is always facing down whenever I am checked also. I'm trying my hardest..but I never knew it was this hard. Thank you all for the support..it REALLY helps me!
My son was born at 34 weeks and luckily was very healthy. But they usually try to hold off until 36 weeks. With me, they didn't have that option, my water had broke, I was fully effaced and 4cm when i got to the hospital. It is worth it t try to make it to 36 weeks.
Originally posted by AshtonsxoMommy@Apr 29 2005, 02:43 PM Can I call up my doctor and ask for an ultrasound to be done?
As long as your insurance covers it I dont see why not. If they dont do it at the office then you can get a script to do it some place else. At least if you get an u/s you can get a guess as to the size of the baby and maybe that way it'll help you know how much longer you should wait.
Being 50% effaced just means that your cervix is thinning which is normal toward the end of pregnancy. I was 50% effaced and 1.5cm dialated for about 2 weeks before my son was born. info on effacement
At 28 weeks I went into labor and was 70% effaced and 2 cm dialated. They stopped it and at 34 weeks I had an amnio cause I was still having labor pains. At 37 weeks they induced. The dr said he wanted me to at LEAST wait untill I was 35 weeks. My friend had both of her daughters at 35 weeks with no probs