low lying placenta

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM
billysmom97's Avatar Super Mommy
I found out about 2-3 weeks ago after my Big u/s that i had a low lying placenta. i just went back again on Wednesday, i go every two weeks because i spot every once in a while, and my dr told me i am not aloud to lift or carry anything, i can't be on my feet to long because he really wants my placenta to move up. He is even waiting 3 weeks this time to see me to give me another week for it to move up, so my question is as anyone had this and can it move down over my cervix the rest of the wayif i am not careful and he said anything that makes me spot i can't do, what is the spotting causing. Does this mean my placenta is moving down or getting worse??? PLEASE HELP!!
I never had this problem with my son Billy !!

My lil Man, Billy & Step daughter Jasmine
September 8th, 2006, 06:23 PM
CAgirlintexas's Avatar Super Mommy
I am guessing you might have Placenta Previa which is what I have. Mine is a complete which means that my cervix is completely covered. My doctor really isn't concerned because it is still early in the pregnancy. In the majority of cases it moves. From what I read on the internet the majority around 90-95 percent of cases resolve by delivery. It sounds to me like your doctor is just being causious but I wouldn't worry to much. Everything I have read makes it sound like its not that big of a deal. There is a good chane it will move before you deliever.
September 9th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Do we have to stop having sex?? we did it this morning and now i am spotting brown,what should i do??Thanks for your help

September 9th, 2006, 06:46 AM
I am embarashed to say this but we haven't felt much like doing it since I got pregnant. I think its kinds weird for both of us. Plus last time we did it, it really hurt. I ask the doc about this and she said it was probally because of the placenta previa. My doc never said not to and nothing I have read said not to though.

ALso by the way, I know the internet sometimes can just scare us more but in the case of Placenta previa its been very reassruing. IF you are still scared you might try reading some of the articles on it. It made me feel better knowing that ever article said most cases move.
September 9th, 2006, 07:00 AM
You are really great thanks again for your help. I will have to look into it more, i was just scared of what i might find out! Well,good luck and talk to you later

September 9th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Ya I know what you mean it can be scary. I was scared at first but my doc wasn't really concerned which helped and then I talked to tons of women who had it in thier second trimester and where fine by the time they delivered. Not one person I talked to had it at delivery time. So that really helped.
September 9th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Momma2My Lil Js's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momma2My Lil Js
Spoting can be normal in the 2nd & 3rd trimesters with a placenta previa. Low-lying usually means that the placenta is not covering the cervix but lays within centimeters of it. The odds of it not being in the way when it comes to deliver are very good.
I wouldn't think that the placenta will move over the cervix, since as your uterus grows it stretchs and the placenta is sometimes pulled with it, causing it to move up. The bleeding is caused by the placenta peeling a little as it's moving. Any lifting or some movement may cause it to bleed as well. Sounds like your Dr just asking you to try a modified bedrest and take it easy to prevent any more bleeding. If your not careful you can possible cause more bleeding by lifting or movement... I didn't think it was really possible, but I had my heavy bleeding because I went to lift a bag of dog food that weighs around 6/7 lbs.
You mentioned brown spotting... It's not active bleeding, so I wouldn't be concerned about it. Just means it's old blood.

I had a complete placenta previa that was covering my cevix at around 18/19 weeks. Each follow-up U/S showed it slowly moving, but it didn't move enough and at 35weeks today, it's still covering my cervix. My last U/S 3 weeks ago, showed it still covers it completely. I have had several issues with spotting and one case of major bleeding. After the heavy bleeding on 8/17 my Dr's have put me on strict bedrest and kept me in the hospital until I have my c-section at 36 weeks (next week! yeah!).

For the bleeding, you'll want to talk to your Dr about when you need to be concerned and get to the hospital. Small spotting my Dr always want me in so they could monitor the bleeding and baby for a few hours.

ETA: Wanted to provide the following website for you! This one provides a lot of info that helped answer some of my questions when I first found out about the previa.
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy...ations/830.html

September 9th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just delivered by c-section on 8/18 my baby and I had complete previa. Fortunately I never bled during my pregnancy but I was very careful (ie: laying low, keep my feet up as much as possible, no sex or vaginal exams,no swimming) mine was complete though so I had greater restrictions probably. You may want to ask about the sex thing though, your dr. would know what's best for you.
Since yours is lowlying, it will probably resolve as your baby grows. And if it doesn't, well it's really not too hard to deal with this, just scary at first whenever something isn't normal. I can relate to that! Hang in there and if you need some more info or support pm me!

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

September 10th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Sara - at what point did you doc put you restricted activity. I have no bleed or problems at this point. I am 18 weeks. I am still exercising also. I want to keep it up as long as possible.
Thanks,
Melissa
September 10th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Sara - at what point did you doc put you restricted activity. I have no bleed or problems at this point. I am 18 weeks. I am still exercising also. I want to keep it up as long as possible.
Thanks,
Melissa[/b]
Well, he found it at my big 20 week ultrasound so that was when he talked to me about it and put me on restrictions. Not many though as I hadn't bled at all. The only restrictions he said was no sex, no vaginal exams (or anything going up there), no swimming. I noticed I was in more pain the more physical acticity I did so I listened to my body and limited how much I would do. I really think that helped as even though my entire placenta was smack dab on my cervix, I never had one bleeding episode. That and God was totally watching out for me.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

September 10th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Momma2My Lil Js's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momma2My Lil Js
I really think each Dr is different with their restrictions. My Dr started restrictions at 28weeks. I tried to take it easy and restrict lifting. Hubby had pick up our daughter whenever possible. I guess there wasn't anything I could do to prevent my bleeding. Even while in the hospital on strict bedrest I still had bleeding.... I don't understand why as all that I did was lay in bed and get out only to use the restroom.

It's great Momo, that you didn't have any bleeding! How many weeks were you when you had the c-section?

September 11th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Quote:
I really think each Dr is different with their restrictions. My Dr started restrictions at 28weeks. I tried to take it easy and restrict lifting. Hubby had pick up our daughter whenever possible. I guess there wasn't anything I could do to prevent my bleeding. Even while in the hospital on strict bedrest I still had bleeding.... I don't understand why as all that I did was lay in bed and get out only to use the restroom.

It's great Momo, that you didn't have any bleeding! How many weeks were you when you had the c-section?[/b]
I had him at 36 weeks. I can't believe I never bled. I mean, that placenta was big and sitting right down there! While I was getting the c-section though the ob cut a part of it and I ended up getting both the normal low horizontal cut as well as a vertical.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

December 19th, 2006, 06:16 PM
i had this found on my 19 wk scan and was told that it would probably move out of the way by the time of delivery. i never did bleed or spot, and they did tell me not to do anything strenuous and not to have sex but i didn't listen and all went well. they didn't want me 2 go for another scan til 35 wks, and then they said it was still low, but they couldn't tell how low cos the baby's head was casting a shadow over the internal os so they rescheduled another scan for 38 wks.
Still i had no bleeding and again the scan couldn't tell for sure if i had marginal, partial or complete previa so they were going to book me in for a c-section but when another doctor looked at it and examined my tummy he said that as long as i don't have any bleeding, i can go for a natural delivery.
That was a relief and at 39wks 2 days i delivered my son naturally, no complications. apparently the placenta moved enough for the baby's head to pass through, but was still partially covering the os. good luck and i hope yours moves too

December 22nd, 2006, 04:33 AM
Veteran
I too currently have placenta previa. I started spotting and then at times bleeding pretty heavy starting at about 16 weeks. I am almost 20 weeks now. They did an ultrasound and determined I had complete placenta previa (where it's completely covering the cervix). Two weeks later I went in for my 18 week sono, and it had actually moved a little, so it's only partial. My Dr. said they give it until 36 weeks to move, and if it doesn't move by then... it's not going to move. I was put on bed rest when I was bleeding, and on full pelvic rest (no intercourse, pelvic exams, etc). I stopped bleeding for now and she told me to give it 2 weeks before we can start having intercourse again!
January 1st, 2007, 12:37 AM
Regular
i was placenta praevia totalis with my first daughter, low-lying with my second, low-lying and anterior with this baby, so i know a bit about the subject.

i don't want to cause unnecessary worry, but LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR. ignoring the doctor's orders by not observing the bed rest order, continuing to have sex, lifting heavy things, etc can result in the placenta prematurely separating (called an abruption) or, worse, causing placental blood vessels near or over the cervix to break.

if you break an artery or suffer an abruption, you are in SERIOUS trouble - we're talking potentially fatal. i abrupted at 20 weeks when i picked up a case of pop - yeah, at 22 and stupid, i was just "too cool" to listen to my doctor - and was rushed to women's college hospital (toronto - one of the best). they tried for nearly six hours to save the baby and stop the bleeding, but no go - i lost everything and wound up with anaemia that took three months to resolve.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search