Incompetent Cervix and Cerclage info?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone,
I have one daughter, born April 19, 2004, whom I delivered the day before her due date. No complications, easy pregnancy and super easy birth. Was told that for future pregnancies, I need to stay close to the hospital, since I don't tend to feel contractions, and apparently dilate fast. Got pregnant again, with a boy. He was due August 19, 2005, but we went into pre-term labor, and he was born at 20 wks, 4 days, and only lived an hour. We rushed to the ER the night before, because I could feel the membranes bulging into my vagina. I had no contractions, just felt a little like the baby was kicking a sore muscle or something. I was getting over pneumonia, which I'd been hospitalized for, so all the muscles I used to cough were tender. When I got to the hospital, I was dilated 4-5 cm and they couldn't stop it because the sac was bulging out so far. Drake Michael was born April 5, 2005. Anyway, all the nurses at the hospital, and the Dr's who saw me there said they think I have an incompetent or weakened cervix. How could I have gone full term with baby #1 and then have this happen with baby #2 if that's the case? I'm so confused! I'm being told that I will have to have a cerclage in from 13 weeks on in any future pregnancies. What is this procedure like? Is it painful? Will I need bedrest? What kind of limitations do they give someone with a cerclage? Right now, my OB just says there will be "some limitations and no sex after it's in". Can anyone here give me some insight?
Thanks,
Shari

May 8th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Regular
Heres a website that may be able to answer your questions. I am so sorry for your loss.

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/incompetentc.../a/aaincomp.htm

Take Care,
Marie
</a>
May 9th, 2005, 09:51 AM
txmommy2be's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My sister too lost a little boy at the same week. With her second child she had the cerclage. I'm being tested now on my first pregnancy for the same thing. She said it wasn't painful, it just scared her. She was on total bed rest for the entire pregnancy. The doc told her to only get up for the restroom and to shower. Looking back now, she tells me not to worry, the cerclage is fine, it's the bed rest that's miserable.

Bella Caroline September 19, 2005
May 9th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi hon.. I currently have a cerclage in place since 15 weeks.

To start, it is very very possible to have a normal pregnancy, and then have an incompotent cervix. it happened to my aunt.

The cerclage itself didn't hurt, cuase I was given a spinal epidural
(this is common practice) after their was some blood and a bit of cramping, but soon that went away. As far as limitations, it depends on your doc and your cervix. My cervix has never gone about 2.1 cent. and has been as low as 1. so I am on strict bedrest at home with bathroom and shower privleges. The other thing, is the discharge is gross with the stitch.. sorry about the tmi.

I am so sorry for your loss, and I wish it didn't come to that to find out that you have IC.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search