on procardia now, anyone else?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM
kristic0776's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to kristic0776
i went to see the doctor today and my cervix is still closed and thick, thank god. he wants me to go on procardia to help control my constant contracting. He says that it doesn't have the yucky side effects that terb does. i hope so. how is this medicine going to affect my baby? obviously any medication i take, he is basically taking to. he also told me to expect some bleeding, because of the internal, but how much is too much? it's scary to bleed, even when the doctor warns you it is going to happen.

October 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Titin's Avatar Veteran
Hi,
I have been on procardia since 20 weeks. Well when needed as I have been having problems with my BP up and down...and that can drop your BP. SO I was told to take it when needed. The only thing it does to me is give me hot flashes...and turns my WHOLE body red! Like flushed all over my body. I have been told it is safe for the baby. Good Luck!
<embed allowScriptAccess="never"src="http://www.freeflashtoys.biz/apps/countdown.swf?maturity=0612240000B0661051141161040 32111102032110101119032098097098121013" quality="high" wmode="transparent" bgcolor="..cccccc" width="350" height="60" name="humwear" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
October 15th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Kyra656's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello I am on Procardia also since 25 weeks to control contractions. I am not sure of the effects it has on baby but I know it causes me a headache here and there and constipation.

If you look it up on Safefetus it is a class C drug. So it is not known if it has adverse side effects on baby. Kind of scary...I probably won't take it for too long...but I also don't want a premature baby...

November 24th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Veteran
My doc just put me on it this week.....its to help control my bp.....it was only up one night and I am afraid to take it when my bp is normal b/c it is made to quickly drop your bp.....

November 25th, 2006, 10:14 AM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It does have some side effects, but mostly if you have low/moderate bp. I'm not a candidate for it, because my BP is too low. I took Terb Pills last time, and your dr is right - when it comes to the pills, there are nasty side effects. However, i'm on the Terb Pump this time, and it's worlds better than the pills. It took about 5 days to get used to, but even my worst symptoms on the pump, where pale in comparison to the pills.

February 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM
lvfunandfit's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been perscribed procardia and nervous to take it. I read so much about it online and the side effects to the baby scare me. have you learned anything more about it?

Check out Danika's website!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4pQs8L/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
February 10th, 2007, 12:09 PM
traci_roo's Avatar Member
Hi! I have been on Procardia since 23 weeks and had side effects the first few days. My bp is normally on the low end of normal so they check me often (I am on hospital bedrest). I have read about so many pg women on procardia so I don't think it can be that harmful. I also trust my doctors and know that they would not give me a drug to harm my babies. It seemed to be a pretty routine thing for them to give procardia for PTL. I would rather be on this than terb or mag. The side effects of those drugs sound much worse.
February 16th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was hospitalized at 25 weeks w/a short cervix and pre-term labor. Procardia was one of the drugs that they tried on me....didn't work. Made me feel horrible. I ended up on Magnesium sulfate for 7+ weeks. For me, the side effects were not nearly as bad as w/the procardia.

As far as being harmful to the baby, I would say no. I did have a few doses while pregnant and Sydnee came out fine.

Good Luck!!!

Stella Rae - May 22, 2009, 7lb 3oz, 20in and 4 weeks early!!!

April 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Im 31 weeks and ive just gotten on procardia about 4 days ago. i was taking the terb but couldnt take the side effects and was still contracting too much so they switched me. I went into PTL little over a week ago.
So far the procardia is much better. im still contracting here and there but nothing like i was. i hate taking these drugs being pregnant. but like others said, i also dont want a sick NICU baby either. so im gonna take them until im atleast 34-35 weeks.

April 14th, 2007, 10:19 PM
[color=#993399]hi, i'm new here, but just wanted to mention...

while taking procardia, be aware that it can cause swelling feet and ankles and water retention. my doctor took my off procardia, and within a week, all swelling was gone. just ask your doctor if you notice unusal water retention or swelling.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search