36 weeks and possible pre-eclampsia

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi all, I just had a question. I have had a normal pregnancy thus far. About a week ago, I started getting swelling in my ankles, feet, and hands. It hasn't gotten any better, if anything, worse. I went to the doctor yesterday for the first of my weekly prenatal visits and found I have high blood pressure. The nurse got 142/88, and the doctor got 146/90. I know this is borderline, but every blood pressure up until these were upper 120s-lower 130s over upper 70s-lower 80s. Just 2 weeks ago, my BP was 130/80. So they drew blood, I am doing a 24 hour urine collection, I was told not to go to work today, and have to go back to the doctor tomorrow. Nothing has ever been said to me about having anything wrong with my urine that I bring to every appt (I collect my first morning urine at home and bring with me to the doctor). Even yesterday, the nurse said "Urine looks good".

Well today I got a message from the nurse that said my blood tests from yesterday were normal and they will follow up with my 24 hour urine collection tomorrow (they said to take it to their lab and I would have more blood work done then). So I'm just wondering, even though my tests from yesterday were normal, what is going to happen if my BP is still high tomorrow and I still have swelling? Is the BP more of a determinant than blood work? I'm just worried about having to be hospitalized and induced early. I'm thankful that at least this is all happening close to the end so that if I do have to be induced early, the baby is close to full term. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
November 10th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Carrie429's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Carrie429
I've been dealing with mild pre-eclampsia since 22 weeks.
The blood test you did already wasn't a test for pre-eclampsia - it was probably a CBCD... mine was fine, too. So to answer your question regarding if BP was more of a determinant than blood work - yes but thats because the blood work isn't really a test for pre-e.
A main thing will be the result of the 24 hour urine. "acceptable" is anything up to 300.. at my first 24 hr urine my level was at 503.. my urine samples at the office always came up fine, too.. its the 24 hr urine collection that will actually matter (I've had a +1 on the little strip test once that I know of and that was 2 weeks ago, it was fine last week). Take it easy and rest as much as you can.. after a week of bed rest my 2nd 24 hr urine was down to 350 and my BP was down, too.
The blood work you'll have done when you drop off your little brown jug is part of the 24 hr urine (unless they are checking something else)... they are probably doing a creatinine clearance to compare the level of creatinine in your urine to the level in your blood.
Its hard to say what your doctors will do if its pre-eclampsia... if it is it would be highly unlikely that they would allow you to go to 40 weeks. I know my doctors will start looking to induce me anytime after 37 weeks if I am not induced before then... and they won't let me go past 39 (but my doctors expect to induce me well before - we'll see!).
Its scary but try to relax and stay calm.. it will help with your BP (I know, easier said than done). 37 weeks is considered full term so you don't have much to go to reach that.
Good luck at your appt tomorrow

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy! ~*~ Blog ~*~bfp Chart
November 12th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I went back to the doctor yesterday (Saturday) and my blood pressure was slightly more increased. They said my blood tests and 24 hour urine collection were fine. The doctor said that where we stand right now is that I definitely have PIH, but whether or not it turns into pre-eclampsia she's not sure, but she doesn't want to wait around to find out. So we are inducing Tuesday night and the baby should be here Wednesday.

In the beginning, DH and I were totally scared and stressed about delivering early, although it is only 3 weeks early. (My doctor did say she wanted to get me to 37 weeks). But the more people I have talked to all say that a baby born at 37 weeks is full term and should be fine. So after getting all of our emotions out, we are now more excited about having our little boy rather than scared. I'm still scared about labor and hoping I don't have to have a C-section, but I guess that is out of my hands.

Thanks for the advice!
November 12th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Carrie429's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Carrie429
Quote:
Well I went back to the doctor yesterday (Saturday) and my blood pressure was slightly more increased. They said my blood tests and 24 hour urine collection were fine. The doctor said that where we stand right now is that I definitely have PIH, but whether or not it turns into pre-eclampsia she's not sure, but she doesn't want to wait around to find out. So we are inducing Tuesday night and the baby should be here Wednesday.

In the beginning, DH and I were totally scared and stressed about delivering early, although it is only 3 weeks early. (My doctor did say she wanted to get me to 37 weeks). But the more people I have talked to all say that a baby born at 37 weeks is full term and should be fine. So after getting all of our emotions out, we are now more excited about having our little boy rather than scared. I'm still scared about labor and hoping I don't have to have a C-section, but I guess that is out of my hands.

Thanks for the advice![/b]
no problem! 37 weeks is considered full term and better to air on the side of caution so things don't get any worse. Take it easy until your induction and good luck on Tuesday!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy! ~*~ Blog ~*~bfp Chart
November 17th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Regular
My dr found protein in the urine and high blood pressure on Dec 17th w/ my son. As the holidays were approaching and it wasnt so bad he didnt think much of it. We were due Jan 20th. By Xmas I was in labor and by the 27th we had a csection. He was between 36 and 37 weeks, 5 lbs 6 oz and 19 1/2 inches long. The bright spot in all this is everyone is right, 37 weeks is full term. Mine did need some oxygen but my blood pressure and preeclampsia was off the charts, I blew up like the Pillsbury dough boy. The good thing is that you know and can schedule a section even now if you want. Dont worry about them inducing you, with BP they would probably not, its not worth the risk, if that was part of what was worrying you that is...

Good luck to you, you're nearly there xxx

Debs

Serves me right for not reading your post 100%
Your baby is probably here already, disregard what i wrote hehheee, lots of drs wont induce well you got lucky

Wish Id be induced, there's nothing wrong w/ me that meds can't control.. but doc says I'll probably have a C anyway (I hope its not to fill his wallet & to make him feel better, I gotta have a chat w/ him as he never explained its necessity this time around)
November 29th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I figured I should update everybody, forgot I had posted here. Blake Nathaniel was born 2 weeks ago on 11/15 at 10:01pm weighing 6lbs 8oz, and 20 1/4 inches long. I ended up having to have a c-section because I didn't progress with induction. Well I was progressing, just really slow. After 22 hours of labor, I was 95% effaced and 5cm. So they made the call to go forth with the c-section. Blake was born at exactly 37 weeks gestation. Everything was ok at first.......

Shortly after birth, I was able to hold him for about 2 minutes. Then they said he was looking dusky and breathing fast. They took him away to the special care nursery. He was there over night on an oxygen hood. X-Rays showed fluid in the lungs. Later the next day, he popped a hole in the sac surrounding the lungs. This was due to his lungs being immature and being stiff. Him breathing so hard because of the fluid made the hole. A big air pocket formed and caused his lung to collapse. He was then rushed to the NICU where they put in a chest tube to drain the air. The next day they decided to put him a breathing tube to control his rapid breathing better. They also had to start him on Dopamine which is a medicine drip to keep up the blood pressure. His was falling a little lower than they would have liked. They also gave him surfactant which is what his lungs were lacking. This medication helps the lungs mature.

That day was the worst day of my life. Being a nurse, I knew these weren't good signs. I was devastated, couldn't stop crying. The nurses and doctors in the NICU were so supportive and let us spend as much time as we wanted with our baby boy. The next day was when Blake was ready to turn around. They took out the breathing tube and stopped the blood pressure medication. He was put on some supplemental oxygen which was turned down continuously throughout the day. Over the next couple of days, more and more things were stopped, more tubes were taken out. I was finally able to hold my baby on Sunday, 4 days after he was born. I was being discharged home without him, but at least I could feel him in my arms and see his beautiful blue eyes.

He started doing so good, took to a bottle after only 3 tries and was sucking down his food. I haven't been able to breastfeed because he doesn't quite know how to get it out, but he is at least getting my breastmilk per bottle. He started getting a little jaundiced so he was put under the lights. On Wednesday the 22nd, the day before Thanksgiving, and exactly a week after he was born, we got to bring him home. It was such a happy day. We didn't tell any of our family, just showed up with him to Thanksgiving the next day to surprise everybody. We were in tears.

He has been doing great since. His jaundice came back a little over the weekend so he was put on a bili blanket here at home. Monday we got the news that it was gone and he could go back to being a normal baby. So now I'm enjoying my time as a new mom and snuggling with him every chance I get to make up for those 4 long days of not being able to hold him. Thank God for my little miracle

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search