What is the norm for movement

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2006, 08:28 AM
Regular
Hi my name is Tammy and I am 25 weeks pregnant I am high risk due to my age,miscarriages,and having preclampsia with last pregnancy. I have noticed the baby isn't moving much today like it has been. I don't know if it is because it is getting bigger and losing room or something is wrong. I felt 2 light kicks about 1hr 1/2 ago. How do I know if everything is ok or am I just being panic happy.

Thank You TAmmy

To the love of my life
December 2nd, 2006, 10:53 AM
CAgirlintexas's Avatar Super Mommy
I am always worrying about this and my doctor just told me to figure out what is normal for my baby. Honestly though I never know. I have found he is more activie if I am less activie. He also has different activity level during the week and weekend. Lately though I have noticed a decrease in movement I think cause he is running out of room too. Normally if I lay on my side and am pretty quiet he will start moving.
December 2nd, 2006, 02:20 PM
kimmiek's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Hi my name is Tammy and I am 25 weeks pregnant I am high risk due to my age,miscarriages,and having preclampsia with last pregnancy. I have noticed the baby isn't moving much today like it has been. I don't know if it is because it is getting bigger and losing room or something is wrong. I felt 2 light kicks about 1hr 1/2 ago. How do I know if everything is ok or am I just being panic happy.

Thank You TAmmy[/b]
I think the general rule is 10 kicks per day. I worried with my 3rd pregnancy; my child was very mild and didn't move a lot (except when I ate sugar or sometimes drank a 1/2 caf. drink - those got him moving!) And still, he is a very mild natured little guy.

Try to start charting the kicks, give yourself a day or two and then you can always request another ultrasound or to listen to the hb. Another bit of advice, rent a heart monitor. The cheap ones (not so cheap really) from the stores don't work well...however you can rent one online for about 30 a month or so. I did, and it really helps me to stay calm.
Best baby wishes!
Kimmie

Our family and newest addition!

January 1st, 2007, 12:20 AM
Regular
Quote:

Thank You TAmmy[/b]

hey - i'm in the same boat: strict bed rest because i'm high risk due to age, multiple miscarriages, previous placenta praevia totalis (daughter #1/.pregnancy #9), previous gestational diabetes (daughter #2/pregnancy #11), placenta is now anterior and low-lying, blood pressure went sky-high, and now urine test is starting to show protein (this one is pregnancy #14). woo-hoo - party all around.

as for movement, at your stage, it's very irregular. one day the baby moves so much you feel like a kettle on full boil, the next day nothing at all and you start thinking maybe a home ultrasound machine wouldn't be a bad idea. not to worry! whether you feel the baby move or not really depends on its position and what, exactly, it's doing. it could still be, just its little fingers and hands are so small and delicate, you're not picking it up, particularly if you're a primipara (first-time mom). it could also have discovered the joys of sucking fingers and examining toes and you won't feel that, either. at the moment, while it's pretty much maxed the space inside the uterus, it's not feeling particularly cramped, either, so the kicking and jabbing hasn't started in earnest.

starting at about 28 weeks, this is when you can start doing kick testing. generally speaking, although there are different methods advocated by different care providers, this is how you do it:

pick a time of day when your baby is the most active. this is usually just before you go to bed because during the day, your movements as you bustle about the house, talk, and just do your daily thing tend to lull the baby to sleep. once you lie down and relax, the baby wakes up because now it's bored.

get a pen and paper and watch and keep them handy.

lie on your side - left is generally preferred although it really doesn't matter: pick the side that's most comfortable for you - and note the time. from then on, count the movements - kicks, bonks, boings, dings, flitters, and anything else in between all count. once you hit ten, note the time and calculate how long that took. if you don't feel ten movements in two hours, call your doctor or midwife right away. if you find it's taking longer and longer to feel ten movements, mention that to your doctor as well and bring your records for review.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search