Threatened Miscarriage : Symptoms

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Johnpaulcooke2007 Send a message via MSN to Johnpaulcooke2007 Send a message via Yahoo to Johnpaulcooke2007
I am new to this forum, my wife Carmen is pregnant, we didnt know until she started cramping really bad.

Carmen has PCOS and is currently taking Metformin, she has lost 35lbs has never been pregnant before,
I am just trying to find out as much info as possible so that I can better support her and ask questions at the doctors.

Symptoms :

Spotting last weekend 25th November

Started slight cramps this week and what she thought was her period.

Crampings intensified on Wednesday night and through thurs.

Went to ER Brackenridge Hospital Austin, Tx Thurs night.

ER completed Transvaginal Ultrasound and did not see anything,

HCG level was at 844 (Friday Morning)

ER Diagnosed with Threatened Miscarriage.

Told to come back monday for more blood work to check HCG levels.
-------------------------------------------------------

Monday Morning.

Cramps subsided over weekend but came back mildly last night and tonight (Sun-Mon), Still bleeding, not heavy.

Went to the OB-GYN had blood drawn.

HCG now at 1590

Cervix is still closed

TransVaginal ultrasound did not show a gestational sac, (Definitively, Showed something that may be it but not conclusive, sac if it is is fairly low and possibly too close to the cervix) showed a black area which is probably liquid, mucus and blood which would explain the bleeding, slightly behind that was a smaller black circle which they were unable to fully identify, this is what potentially could be the sac. There was a brief conversation about possibly seeing something fairly high up but might be a shadow.

Told to come back in 9 days next wednesday.

As far as I am aware, the longer the cervix stays closed the better chance we have of full implantation correct? could anyone give me a range of HCG levels we would expect to see after 9 days?

They think that she will probably miscarry but told us we are in a grey area right now, it could potentially be too early to see anything (magic number seems to be 2000 hcg level)

Started taking prenatal vitamins and rest plus plenty of positive thoughts.

Any tips or thoughts?

Me = John = 27
DW = Carmen = 34
Live = Austin, TX
Clinic = TFC / Austin IVF
Dr = Dr Silverberg

1st Cycle IVF no ICSI

Aug 19th HCG Trigger Shot
Aug 21st Retrieval
Aug 26th 2 Blastocysts BBB / BCB Transfered / 2 Frozen BBB /CBB
Aug 31st (Birthday me, HPT BFP!)
Sep 1st (Second HPT BFP!)
Sep 2nd (Third HPT BFP!)
Sep 3rd (Fourth HPT BFP!)
Sep 4th BETA

<div align="center"></div>
December 5th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Veteran
Did they check her progesterone levels? I know with PCOS that low progesterone can be a factor. Many dr's give it when the levles are low and it has been know to help. I would just say to wait. I know it is hard. Her HCG should double every 48 hours. Good luck and keep us updated.

Mis-

December 5th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Johnpaulcooke2007 Send a message via MSN to Johnpaulcooke2007 Send a message via Yahoo to Johnpaulcooke2007
Quote:
Did they check her progesterone levels? I know with PCOS that low progesterone can be a factor. Many dr's give it when the levles are low and it has been know to help. I would just say to wait. I know it is hard. Her HCG should double every 48 hours. Good luck and keep us updated.

Mis-[/b]
We did not have the Progesterone levels tested but will will request that next time, I asked the trainee nurse but forgot to ask the doctor.

Me = John = 27
DW = Carmen = 34
Live = Austin, TX
Dr = Dr Silverberg

1st Cycle IVF no ICSI

Aug 21st Retrieval
Sep 2nd (Third HPT BFP!)
Sep 4th BETA

December 5th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Angela1's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Angela1
Also I think that black circle is a cyst. My dr found a cyst on me...But not all cyst are bad...When you are first pregnant that what forms...b/c the baby feeds off that until it's a fetus or bigger.

I have been spotting since the day I have found I was preg. I am now 6wks. Everything is growing the way it should. My levels the day before Thanksgiving where 265, the monday after that they were 2,200 and then that weds they were 4,000. And they couldn't find anything on the u/s either of those. Until this past Monday, they finally saw a gestational sac and yolk sac.

I am sorry y'all are going thru this...And I am not going to tell y'all to sit back and relax. B/c god knows that is impossible. I wish you ton's of luck! Like everyone has told me...Focus on the good like her HCG levels are moving up, you should see her levels doubling every 48hrs to 72hrs. Just know you won't see much until her 6th or 7th week. I hope everything works out for you! You are in my prayers!

BTW Austin is my Home town! I miss it!

Oh yea! I also went in for blood red bleeding. They told me that I m/c or I have ectopic pregnancy. But this past Monday they saw the sac. But they told me that if I were m/c'ing my levels would be going down not up and if I were to have ectopic pregnancy my levels would remain low.

Is she having a lot of pain? And where is her pain b/c my pain was all over the lower half. The dr told me that is normal. Just as long as I am not having pain in one area and it doesn't feel like menstrual cramps.
December 6th, 2006, 07:22 AM
kimmiek's Avatar Super Mommy
I've been spotting for over three weeks with this preg. and I'm now over 9 weeks and things are going strong. Also, my HCG levels haven't doubled as would be the norm, but they were going up. Here's the list and dates of my levels:

(10/27) 70.2 HCG and Progesterone was 15.4

(11/02) 1248 HCG and Progesterone was over 20

(11/06) 3084 HCG and Progesterone was over 20

(11/10) HCG was over 5,000 Progesterone was over 20

(11/13) HCG over 5,000 and Progesterone was 18 (At this point I changed doctors because I didn't feel I was being handled with caution rather a what will be will be, I wanted more emotional hand holding and understanding)

(11/16) Progesterone was 32,000+ HCG

(11/21) 64,000 + HCG

(11/26) 104,000+ HCG *** Please note, rarely, did my numbers double within the correct time frame. The rule of thumb is as long as there is a 60% rise in 48 hours, the pregnancy is considered to be moving along.

Here is a website which offers a great calculator to guide you http://babymed.com/pregnancy-tools/hcg/

On Sunday, Nov 26th I ended up in the ER with Red spotting (my husband and I'd been intimate about 11 hours prior to the red spotting), totally freaked out because prior to that it was always brown blood (which is old blood the body tries to get rid of). The doctor was great, did an ultrasound and ran my labs to make sure things were still ok. The baby was fine with a Heart rate of 167 BPM!

When my HCG levels were 1248 and only went up to 3084 the doctor told me a single number wasn't indicative of a miscarriage, however diagnosed me with a threatened miscarriage due to the numbers not doubling and my spotting. I was devastated.

But as you can see, sometimes doctors aren't always right. I've gone about 42 hours without spotting which is a huge milestone and relief for me. Remember, the cervix is VERY delicate, so pelvic rest (nothing in the canal) is imperative for her to stop bleeding. My husband have to obstain most likely for the duration of our pregnancy, but it is little to ask for a healthy baby in return.

While I was pregnant with my son (My number 3 live birth) I had a sub chorionic hematoma. It's a blood clot in the uterus. I bled like I was having my period for about a week or so. Things turned out ok with that too. Sometimes the body knows what is supposed to be there and isn't and gets rid of what isn't.

You might ask the doctor to put your wife on a Progesterone supplement. She's producing progesterone, or she wouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place. But a supplement can't hurt. Just a thought. Should you wish to talk more, let me know. I've been where you are, and understand.

Blessings to you both.

By the way, you might also considere keeping a pregnancy journal, so she can chart her spotting and symptoms of cramping. Try to measure her pain on a scale of 1-10. If she's bleeding through more than one pad per hour, take her to the ER. If it's mostly spotting when she wipes in the bathroom, that's a good sign. The color is important too. Pink or Brown is ok Red, call your doctor or again, take her to the er.

Finally, when they did my Ultrasounds at 5 weeks they saw my sac a sliver, at 5.5 weeks the yolk in the sack, at 6 weeks we saw a little heart beat. And it kept going and growing fromt here. I hope this helps.

Our family and newest addition!

December 6th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The Number went up so thats a really great sign... I ahd a cyst with my thid son it went away at 12 wks they usally do if not then they do surgry. Spotting and bleeding is normal during pregnancy alot of ppl have it, they still ahve there periods well bleeding witch they think is there periods. cramping is normal too.

</div>

</div>
December 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Veteran
This morning Carmen passed something which could have been a blood clot or it could have been something else, the first thing was plum colored and slightly textured, she described it as being like a piece of cooked rice, nothing that seemed to be identifyable though, then later she passed a blood clot which just kinda poured out, we tried to get someone to see us today but barring ER we have to wait until next wednesday. Poured maybe is too strong of a word but she definately passed a clot.

In a way we are kinda relieved as it removes some of the pressure of not knowing from us, but it could also be just that.. a clot which would explain the bleeding. she is still cramping and we will see what happens today and over the course of the next couple of days.

On the ultrasound monday it showed a black area close to the cervix which they were unsure of, it did not look like a gestational sac and they thought it was probably blood and mucous, this is potentially what could have been passed as it was the closest "mass" to the cervix, we just dont know, behind it was another smaller roundish object which could have potentially been the gestational sac, they thought it was suspicious and if it were the sac then it also was too low maybe. they said that we would probably miscarry and to prepare for the worst, we are going on the assumption that we have miscarried and any information to the opposite we will just wait and see, Carmen is still cramping and bleeding about the same, it is hard to gauge how much she is bleeding as she has yet to fill a pad, she just said that if she didnt change them frequently she would maybe fill one or two a day.

we wish there was a way of tracking daily HcG levels but the final answer wont come until next wednesday.

Me = John = 27
DW = Carmen = 34
Live = Austin, TX
Dr = Dr Silverberg

1st Cycle IVF no ICSI

Aug 21st Retrieval
Sep 2nd (Third HPT BFP!)
Sep 4th BETA

December 7th, 2006, 07:31 AM
From my experience, your wife must be in absolute agony. I would strongly suggest taking her to the ER. She might have another ultrasound and some more lab work. To her, Wednesday must feel like it's years away.

I'm so sorry for your experiences with this. Any of the typical things people said to me out of sympathy often made me angry or resentful. I won't try to patronize you two. It stinks and isn't fair and should be a lot easier.

I hope your answers bring you peace one way or another.

December 8th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Veteran
Ok so more news, went back to the ER thursday night as Carmen was cramping bad that morning, they took her levels again and gave her a physical,

HCG Levels now at 2121

Correction, last thursday her levels were at 644 not 844 so between the Thurs and the monday she did double.

This increase however is only 35% above the 1590 last reading.

had another sonargram and transvaginal ultrasound which did not show anything. OB Dr wanted Carmen to have a DNC on monday but we told him we would like to check the levels again on monday so as to rull out a viable pregnancy, they are also checking the Progesterone levels, if these have risen then it is a sure sign that she has miscarried, if the levels are normal then she is still pregnant.

ho hum have to wait until monday now.

Me = John = 27
DW = Carmen = 34
Live = Austin, TX
Dr = Dr Silverberg

1st Cycle IVF no ICSI

Aug 21st Retrieval
Sep 2nd (Third HPT BFP!)
Sep 4th BETA

December 11th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
John ~ I just came in here to see how things were going & noticed your post about a threatened miscarriage. I wanted to invite you & your wife to come into our Pregnancy Loss board for addition support. Click on it in my siggy to get you there. My heart & prayers are with you especially since I am also a TX girl!

December 12th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Veteran
We still dont know.....

Well the Dr seems to be sure, he was a very very very good Dr and knew alot about PCOS *which he went into in depth*

The raw stats

Progesterone levels are 5.5
HcG Levels only went up by 20 pts to 2142

Dr says we are now at high risk for an ectopic pregnancy, we decided to wait one week longer until the 18th for full confirmation of a non viable pregnancy and to try to will the numbers to rise, We asked about the possibility of twins and he had considered it but due to the low progesterone levels he was inclined to think that was not likely, although possible.

We decided that the best course of action is to see where nature goes, see what happens this next week and to give Carmens hormones a chance to stabilise and normalise and decide what they want to do, with the caveat that if she has ANY pain or weird symptoms that we go to the hospital ER and have an emergency DNC to determine the cause.

The levels would potentially indicate that she has not miscarried this past week which gave us hope especially as the levels doubled over last weekend but stagnated this week.

also the Dr told us that the largest ectopic he had seen had levels of 700 and was 10cm in length total.

He said that anything below a level 5 on a progesterone chart typically indicates that the pregnancy will not be taken to term and that anything between 5 and 20 would indicate a grey area and anything above 20 would indicate a normal pregnancy. so we are at the bottom level of grey.

so the wait continues.

Me = John = 27
DW = Carmen = 34
Live = Austin, TX
Dr = Dr Silverberg

1st Cycle IVF no ICSI

Aug 21st Retrieval
Sep 2nd (Third HPT BFP!)
Sep 4th BETA

December 12th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Who ever your doctor is, where ever you are, he's great. He sounds like he's really willing to wait and see. That's fantastic.

Try to remember, statistics are a guideline, not a standard. I was told after my 3rd miscarriage I had less than a 10% chance of carrying a baby to term. After that doctor told me this statistic, I went on to have two healthy sons and I have another baby on the way.

I hope you and your wife find your miracle. We will continue to pray for you both. Please let us know how things turn out.

Blessings to you both,
KimmieK

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search