Single Umbilical Artery...worried

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Regular
Hello everyone! I'm new here! I'm 16 weeks along and my due date is June 24, 2007. Just found out today that it's a girl!!! While I'm extremely excited about the pregnancy and the fact that it's a girl today I was told that the umbilical cord only has a single artery rather than the two that is normal. Upon researching this on the internet the results I found were not too reassuring. I am extremely worried about my little girl. My doctor said she was going to continue to monitor the baby's growth but as of right now her growth is normal and everything else appears to be normal. Has anyone else experienced this? It would be nice to hear from anyone who knows more info or has experienced this! Thanks so much!!!
January 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
CAgirlintexas's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't have experience with you particular problem but I know what your going through. I know you must be devestaed and scared to death. At our 16 week u/s they found a cyst in my babies brain which is a soft marker for T18. We went through a level 2 u/s and they found no other markers. After that they told us most likely our baby would be fine. Its very scary exspecially now that I am getting closer to delivery. The one thing that I found reasuring was that I have talked to tons of people online who have had at least one and some had more markers of disabilites and there children where fine. From the research I have read a lot of these markers are just natural occurances the only scary part is that they happen more with children with disabilies. The fact that your baby is growing well is a very good sign. THat is what I keep reminding myself about my baby. That he is growing well and the doctor said he is going to be fine. Besides that the only other option in amino. We decied against that based on the risk.
I know you must be sacred. You might want to avoid to much internet research all it did was upset me worse. Once we decied against amino I just have tried to go with the flow.
Good luck and Best wish,
Melissa
January 19th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I found out at my 19 week ultrasound that I had SUA, too. Way too much internet research did nothing more than scare my pants off of me, in addition to the tech telling me it was a marker for Downs. I went for monthly ultrasounds for a variety of reasons, but also to check the growth of the baby in relation to the SUA. When I'd see my OB, they seemed relatively unconcerned about the SUA, citing that it was more common and not so detrimental. One of the main concerns they had was IUGR, but they never seemed overly worried about my pregnancy because of the SUA (all the other high risk concerns were quite another story...). The perinatologist I saw also seemed not too worried, saying there were a variety of reasons that it happens and that they're not always too dangerous to the baby.

On October 13, I delivered a perfect and wonderfully healthy baby boy...

My advice is to stay away from the internet, all it did was scare me with all the worst case scenario stuff...undue stress for an already stress ridden situation.
January 22nd, 2007, 02:57 PM
Regular
HI there,

I'm new to this board, but wanted to join in on this discussion. I am currently 21 weeks pregnant with identical twin boys (1 placenta, 2 sacs) and was told at my level 2 sonogram one of the boys may have SUA. I was frantic at first, but after seeking some advice from my OB, was assured that this is not the "end of the world" and more then likely everything with the baby would be fine. I just say a prayer to the man upstairs every night. These twins were conceived naturally, and are the first on both sides of the family, so I just feel that God has blessed us with these babies, and will take care of all of us. I was much more reassured by my OB. It's true, if you Google this you will get all sorts of scary results, but I have found confort in the web-boards that I have found that have indicated very normal babies born with this condition.
January 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM
StinkybuttandMonkeysMom's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to StinkybuttandMonkeysMom Send a message via Yahoo to StinkybuttandMonkeysMom
Quote:
HI there,

I'm new to this board, but wanted to join in on this discussion. I am currently 21 weeks pregnant with identical twin boys (1 placenta, 2 sacs) and was told at my level 2 sonogram one of the boys may have SUA. I was frantic at first, but after seeking some advice from my OB, was assured that this is not the "end of the world" and more then likely everything with the baby would be fine. I just say a prayer to the man upstairs every night. These twins were conceived naturally, and are the first on both sides of the family, so I just feel that God has blessed us with these babies, and will take care of all of us. I was much more reassured by my OB. It's true, if you Google this you will get all sorts of scary results, but I have found confort in the web-boards that I have found that have indicated very normal babies born with this condition.[/b]

I delivered a healthy baby boy on Dec. 19th, 2006, and I was also diagnosed with SUA. Good luck to you and just know that alot of women have healthy babies even with SUA!!!

January 24th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Regular
Thank you for your encouragement! I really feel like everything is going to be fine. Sometimes I think doctors do more to scare you then anything.

Was there anything specific that you had to do during your pregnancy? Since I'm already having twins, they are doing ultrasounds every 2 weeks, so I just was wondering what i'm up against.

Thanks!
January 26th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Veteran
#3 10/9/14

Last edited by Chameleon; February 8th, 2014 at 08:12 AM.
January 30th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Regular
Thank you all so much for your replies! Hearing that others have also had SUA and had completely healthy babies is sure a comfort I go for my 2nd ultrasound next week and hopefully my little girl is still growing normally (my OB just wants to monitor her growth every 3-4 weeks due to the SUA). Once again thank you all so much!
January 31st, 2007, 08:25 AM
Regular
Quote:
Thank you all so much for your replies! Hearing that others have also had SUA and had completely healthy babies is sure a comfort I go for my 2nd ultrasound next week and hopefully my little girl is still growing normally (my OB just wants to monitor her growth every 3-4 weeks due to the SUA). Once again thank you all so much![/b]
I went for a second opinion to another peri this week, and they did an extensive ultrasound, echocardiogram, etc on the baby with the 2 vessel cord. Everything came back normal. The baby's heart is normal, and he has 2 kidneys and there is no other soft markets for anything. The doctor also said that usually that is the outcome of a 2 vessel cord. I was very comforted by the news. Don't get too worried! Good thoughts are being sent your way!
January 31st, 2007, 04:15 PM
Regular
Quote:
Hello everyone! I'm new here! I'm 16 weeks along and my due date is June 24, 2007. Just found out today that it's a girl!!! While I'm extremely excited about the pregnancy and the fact that it's a girl today I was told that the umbilical cord only has a single artery rather than the two that is normal. Upon researching this on the internet the results I found were not too reassuring. I am extremely worried about my little girl. My doctor said she was going to continue to monitor the baby's growth but as of right now her growth is normal and everything else appears to be normal. Has anyone else experienced this? It would be nice to hear from anyone who knows more info or has experienced this! Thanks so much!!![/b]
January 31st, 2007, 04:25 PM
Regular
Quote:
Hello everyone! I'm new here! I'm 16 weeks along and my due date is June 24, 2007. Just found out today that it's a girl!!! While I'm extremely excited about the pregnancy and the fact that it's a girl today I was told that the umbilical cord only has a single artery rather than the two that is normal. Upon researching this on the internet the results I found were not too reassuring. I am extremely worried about my little girl. My doctor said she was going to continue to monitor the baby's growth but as of right now her growth is normal and everything else appears to be normal. Has anyone else experienced this? It would be nice to hear from anyone who knows more info or has experienced this! Thanks so much!!![/b]

Hi There,

I am not experiencing exactly what you are going through, but our situations do sound a bit similar. I just had my 20 week ultrasound yesterday, and found out it's a girl.....we were then told that the cord is developing at the side of the placenta, instead of in the center, where it should be. The doctor said it's not much to worry about, but they will monitor me throughout the pregnancy to make sure the baby is growing properly....when I researched this problem myself, I discovered that low birth weight is not necesarily the only side effect, and that it can be a bit more serious. I trust my doctor with my life though, so if she tells me not to worry, I'm going to try not to - and you should do the same. I think sometimes in these cases the internet can do more harm than good, so my advice would be to trust your instincts and your doctor, the internet doesn't know you or your situation, so take everything it says with a grain of salt - I'm really trying to do the same. I hope all is well for you and yours.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search