Chances of Pre-Eclampsia?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2007, 02:56 AM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
I have a few questions and thought maybe someone here could help. DH and I are going to start TTC this time next year, but I'm a little scared. My last pregnancy I had Gestational Diabetes, Pregnancy Induced Hypertention, and hyperemesis gravidarum.

Now my question is about the PIH. Around my 34th week my bp started rising and i started getting sever headaches. I was put on tempoary bedrest and around 36-37 put on full bedrest(but i couldn't do it), they said I had all the signs of preeclampsia but protein in my urine .When I finally got induced at 39 weeks 6days they said i was spilling +1 protein into my urine and my BP was up again. Now I'm wondering if that makes it more likely that I will get it preeclampsia in my next pregnancy or not. Anyone know?

January 30th, 2007, 03:37 AM
anissa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to anissa Send a message via MSN to anissa
In most cased you only get Pre-E once. But there are some people who get it everytime. I am one of those people who get it every time. Also having GD adds to that factor. I was GD with both PG's also. But there is really no way to know if you will get it again. Same with the GD. Your next PG just might be picture perfect but you really have no way of knowing.
Gavin Thomas 06/01/06
Emma Grace Born Sleeping 8/4/05 22 Weeks
Some people only dream of holding an Angel I actually held one!
Angel Baby 8/14/02
Angel Baby 12/28/04

February 11th, 2007, 06:00 AM
*Krissy*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had preeclampsia with my daughter (she's 14 now). She was a few weeks early. My next pregnancy with my son was normal. Then, I got pregnant with a little girl. I got preeclampsia with her at 24 weeks. They had to do an emergency c-section. She died a few hours after birth. Now, it's 6 years later and I'm pregnant again. My doctor says I have a 25% chance of having it again. But, he says if it happens, hopefully he can control it with bed rest. Needless to say, I'm scared to death!
February 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Terrible PreE with our youngest (she a few days shy of a year old) and I have it again ~ already taking Labetalol for my B/P and swelling but the closer I get to 20 weeks the worse it seems to be.

I've had protein now for about the last 5 weeks so I think the last 1/2 of this pregnancy is going to be a wild ride.

Also.....I fought PreE for 6 weeks post-partum ~ I thought delivering would cure it, nada. I had to continue on a higher dosage of meds until it finally cleared. Yuck!

February 12th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Regular
Since you have had PIH before you are thought to be at risk more then someone that has not had it. That doesn't mean you will get it. At least with your next pregnancy you and your doctor will know before hand. That will also play factor in how you might be treated while pregnant. I have had two successful pregnancies with Pre-E for both. The first was extreme delivering at 30 weeks and the second I was able to relax to keep it down enough to hold the baby in until 36 weeks. I am pregnant yet again and feel certain that I will have Pre-E if not PIH. But I am not scared.. I am confident that knowing my history will help the doctors use preventative measures to help me keep the baby as long as I can carry. Good luck with trying to conceive. I hope you are lucky enough to have a picture perfect pregnancy.
February 13th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Regular
I too has Pre-E with my first. I got it at 26 weeks, labor was induced but it was too much for him and we lost him during delivery. I am scared to death about getting it again. They have told me, because my last case was so bad it's likely I will get it again. Pre-E lasted an additional 6-8 weeks after birth and I was on all kinds of batablockers for it. I have had lots of medical problems since then (this happend July 2005) and it's all been linked back to the pre-E.

Now, I have known many moms who have gotten only 1 and have very successful pg after that. I have also known many moms who have gotten it with each pg.

Just really read up on it. Know the warning signs and discuss it with your doc. They say there is stuff you can take (baby aspirin for example) that will help prevent it.

I am ttc at the moment. My ob says as soon as I am pg. we'll be trying a few things to hopefully ward off the preE from happening.

Good luck!
Tam
February 26th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Regular
I had preclampsia with my first baby, but didn't start getting protein in the urine until I was induced around 39 weeks. My blood pressure was crazy though and I'm normally a very low range person. I am pregnant with my second at 38 weeks and no signs of preclampsia. You are technically at a higher percentage to get PC again, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you will. I was very worried about it this go around, but so far so good. Just look for the swelling in the face and hands or other body parts and be sure to let your dr. know if you see anything.
February 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
JennyT's Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to JennyT Send a message via Yahoo to JennyT
I had pre-eclampsia with my son. I was hospitalized for 10 days before delivering 3 weeks early. One of the nurses told me that pre-eclampsia only occurs when you conceive with a partner you have never had a child with before. For example, If I had a child with my husband and had pre-eclampsia and then had another child with another man I could get pre-eclampsia again. But if I conceived another child with my husband I wouldn't suffer from pre-eclampsia. I don't know how true this is, and I have never heard of it before this nurse. I was wondering if anyone else had heard this?
12:07 AM
5lbs 2oz 19in

:: myspace ::

February 28th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Super Mommy
I think if you have had previous pregnancy with high blood pressure you are at risk again. My mother had 7 childern she had high blood pressure with ever one of us (all of us had the same father).
It seems that you are more at risk for it if you have a mother or sister that has had it during a pregnancy.

<a href="http://www.baby-gaga.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">[/url

</a>

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/bdf8b/ttc.png

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/bdf8b" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 3rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to hopefulmommy84
Your more likely to get pre-e after you've had it in other pregnancies.

I had pre-e which turned into toxemia with my daughter in 2002. We both had seizures. Its a nightmare.
They aren't sure what causes pre-e. Although they think genetics "may" play some part. Women in the teens, 30's, and having their first baby are more likely to get it. I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant with my second baby and i'm scared i'll get it again. My doctor tells me i'm deffinately have a bigger chance of getting it because i've already had it. Its been in my family as well my mom had it with me. I was told to stick to a diet of low carbs, low salt, high protien. and not to gain more then 20lbs. I'll also be induced at 39 weeks whether I need to be or not because the longer your pregnant the bigger chance you have of developing it.

March 4th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Indo_mommy's Avatar Super Mommy
<span style="font-family:Verdana">Hi there,

I had a severe preeclampsia with my pregnancy resulting in an emergency section when I was 35 weeks. My Dr. told me that there are chances that preeclampsia will return on my next pregnancy but he said not to worry to much about it because sometimes it happen sometimes it's not. </span>

<span style="color:#3333FF">Thanks Rwisner for the beautiful siggy!

Click here for our adventure of living in China.
March 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM
LisaV's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LisaV
I had it with my second at 39 weeks and when i got induced my blood pressure got crazy and i i had the protein, i also conceived at 100lbs and dilevered at 200 i was so bloated swollen it was awful. I am now pregnant with my 3rd and hope it does not happen again cause it really scared my husband and me to. Any signs before hand of it,

March 19th, 2007, 01:16 PM
*Braydensmommy*'s Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to *Braydensmommy* Send a message via Yahoo to *Braydensmommy*
I thought I'd chime in here...
I had Pre E with my first pregnancy. My second pregnancy had no problems at all. With my third, I got pre-E which turned into HELLPS. Some doctors tell you that you will only get it once. Others say it can happen again. All I can say is watch yourself. Know the signs and keep in close contact with your doctor. I had other factors in my last pregnancy also so I will always be considered High Risk. Just take care of yourself! Hugs!!

</span></span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search