Preterm labor information I wanted to share

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2007, 09:28 AM
mamma2petunia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to mamma2petunia Send a message via AIM to mamma2petunia Send a message via Yahoo to mamma2petunia
Hi ladies . . . I am a mom of twins that are now 6 1/2 years old and I went through 7 weeks of preterm labor in my pregnancy. I recently found of some really disturbing information about a drug that I was given to stop my preterm labor and I wanted to share it with you to make sure that you know about the possible side effects of this medication to YOU and your UNBORN baby/ies.

The drug called Terbutaline or Brethine is an asthma medication and has been used to stop preterm labor for years. I was given this drug back in 2000 to stop my preterm labor. I received it in injections, IV's and in pill form to take home and take by mouth every six hours.

In November, 1997, the FDA wrote a letter to doctors telling them that the FDA no longer approved the drug Terbutaline/Brethine for "off-label" use, meaning since it is an asthma drug, that it was no longer approving it's use for preterm labor, but only for asthma treatment due to the adverse side effects it was causing to the mothers and unborn babies. This drug crossed the placenta and goes directly to the baby!!! In addition, it can cause respiratory and cardiac problems in the mothers, speech defects, autism and a variety of other problems in the babies that receive this drug while in utero!!

Apparently, many doctors are ignoring the letter from the FDA since it is now 10 YEARS LATER and they are STILL USING IT!!! I am currently working with an attorney who is filing a lawsuit on behalf of my son and I because I developed asthma after being given the drug and my son has a speech defect and autism.

It would have been different if I had given INFORMED CONSENT to receive this drug to stop my labor . . . meaning that I knew the risks and I still decided to take the drug. But I was never advised of the risks before I was given the drug!!

THIS IS THE LIFE OF YOU AND YOUR UNBORN CHILD . . . ASK QUESTIONS, LADIES!!! DO THE RESEARCH!! JUST DO A GOOGLE SEARCH UNDER TERBUTALINE . . . YOU WILL FIND THE INFORMATION FOR YOURSELF!!! If you want any legal information, feel free to PM me. I am NOT trying to get you to file a suit, just inform you to help you avoid going through what I'm going through.

My son is 6 1/2 and in the first grade. Most first graders at this point in the school year can read over 100 words. He can read 13. He has been in speech services since he was 18 months old and still can't speak clearly enough for strangers to understand him. I am bending over backwards to keep him up to grade level so he will stay in the first grade with his twin sister . . . I don't know if I can keep him there to move up to second grade next year or not. Math is a whole different subject . . . he is also below grade level there!! I cannot begin to describe to you how difficult is has been! However, at least now I know WHY!!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">Thanks Jolene for my beautiful siggie!!</div></span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search