i have a short cervix

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM
kkhadivar
right there w/you Melissa. i have a shortened cervix and on contraction meds. they told me i was 50% effaced at 24 weeks. i've been on bedrest since then. i'm about 29 weeks now, so i'm gaining!

i don't think they would have checked for a shortening cervix if i didn't have conntractions. i'm glad they found it or i would have kept pushing myself. a lot of people i've talked to said they had the shortened cervix for all of their pregnancies. next time i'm going to have them check early so i have the option for a cerclage.
March 14th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to slatham
Hi...I was on bed rest for 21 weeks due to a short cervix (I had a leep procedure a few years ago). I had the cerclage surgery on November 27th when I measured less than 1cm - I had already been on bed rest for several weeks before that occurred. Everything has worked, obvoiusly, thanks to the cerclage of course and excellent doctor care - and mostly I feel because I followed the doctor orders. As of last Wednesday, I am officially off of bed rest but have been taking it easy, hard to get back in to the swing of things when you've been "out of commission" for so long...but...I have gone to WalMart (true Kentucky redneck, had to go to WalMart first thing) and out to eat - I sure did miss all of that...ha.

I am due in 2 weeks - last Thursday I went in for an ultrasound as a result of measuring large (I think my fundal height was 43, whew) and the baby (it's a girl!) is guesstimated to weigh 8 pounds, also, the measurements the tech performed were showing in the 39 week mark so who knows when this little girl will decide to come.

ALSO, my doctor checked me on Thursday and my cervix is tightly closed due to scar tissue from the cerclage - this could mean a possible c-section as it might prove difficult for me to dialate. This entire pregnancy I have said I didn't want a c-section, but in all honesty, at this point I do not have much stamina from being on bed rest for so long and given the possible large size/weight of the baby my doctor and I both agree that c-section might be the way to go...I dunno though - would prefer vaginally but whatever I need to do I'll do it.

Good luck to both of you and hang in there...
March 14th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Shorty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Shorty
I had a short cervix as well and was put on bedrest at 22 weeks. My cervix measured under 2 cms. I was taken off bedrest at 35 weeks, and my boy was born 2 days before his due date. I hope your pregnancy goes by smoothly, and if you do get put on bedrest make sure you stock up on lots of things to keep you busy. The bed rest is the hardest part but in the end it's all worth it!
April 2nd, 2007, 08:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
This isn't a club any of us are excited about, but I'm in it too! Right now I'm 30 weeks, 50% effaced and 1 cm. My doctors didn't really seem to push the bed rest issue because of the thinning, just told me to take it easy. Then once they found out how little I can do without causing contractions it became full and official BR. You didn't mention if your doctor had put you on BR or if the tech was just saying you're close, but if he doesn't I don't think thats unheard of.

How far are you? Lots of people stay at this effacment for weeks so try not to worry too much. Just take it easy and do whatever the doctors tell you![/b]
Same boat as above. at 30 wks i was 1 cm and 50% effaced. im 31 now and i have a doc appt tommorrow and will find out if anything has changed. im on procardia to hold off contractions, but still have some here and there. im not on bedrest either--they just told me to take it easy also but i can get up for 2 min and start hurting/contracting so i may end up on full bedrest....who knows....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search