TTC (soon) and already High Risk

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2007, 08:59 AM
keeko
Hello all! I've been reading posts for weeks now and finally decided to start my own! Everyone is so supportive and friendly here - thanks!

I'm considered obese(if you ask me I'm just too darn short for my weight) and have had high blood pressure for several years now (due to weight and heredity). I've seen my OBGYN to prepare (for TTC) and went to my Primary Phys. yesterday to change BP meds (current ones are NOT good for concep. or preg). I'm really quite scared. Half the things I read scare me and half make it sound like no problem at all. I know everyone is different - but I'd love to hear from any/all of you!

I'm starting to wean(sp?) off of Norvasc and Atenolol and start Aldomet. Anyone else on Aldomet? Has it worked? I've been told it doesn't work as well as what I was on. My Primary wants my BP to stay below 130 and 90. I'm also on Zoloft for anxiety - anyone else? I feel like if I stopped that my anxiety will make my bp worse. I cant wait to TTC (may or June)- we've been married for eight years and are now so ready!

I want to be excited but am nervous! I'd love to hear from others in my situation or even those of you who have known people in my situation.

My diet is good and I've lost 15 pounds since December/January. I walk about five days a week and now that the weather is nice I walk on my lunch break too.

Thanks for listening and hope to hear from some of you!
March 20th, 2007, 10:37 AM
elmwolfe's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to elmwolfe Send a message via AIM to elmwolfe Send a message via Yahoo to elmwolfe
Just one word................

RELAX!!!

After reading your post, I was shocked to say that I could have written that exact post almost a year ago.

I'm now almost 35 weeks pregnant and so far so good.

I started on BP meds in January 2006 after fighting heredity and weight for years(I'm almost 36yrs old now). My Dr knew I wanted to try to get pregnant soon, so she put me on Adalat to start with and my last dose before my pregnancy was confirmed was 90mg/day. At 26 weeks, my BP increased enough at a routine clinic appt that they sent me to L&D for monitoring. My BP came back down after resting, but they still upped my BP meds to 120mg of Adalat. That worked just fine until a few weeks ago. I started having NSTs done after 32 weeks and about a week ago they decided they needed to bring my BP down more so I am now taking Labetelol 100mg/ 2x a day on top of the Adalat 120mg. So far so good. They are happy with me for now. And baby is textbook perfect.

I guess my only suggestions would be to get as healthy as you can BEFORE you start TTC and try to maintain that during the majority of your pregnancy. I had lost over 80lbs before TTC but I still was at least 50lbs overweight when I got pregnant, but was MUCH healthier. I still kind of wish I had lost more weight before getting pregnant to help a lot, but I was fighting the "age clock" also. In my first trimester I ate whatever I could, but not over-indulging too much, and keeping up the exercise was a bit much with my morning sickness, but once the 2nd trimester hit and I got rid of the acid reflux and nauseau I was back on my elliptical machine. After 26 weeks and the up in my meds and the limited bed rest request(3 hour long rest periods on my left side each day), I packed up my elliptical and rested. I've now made it to 35 weeks(almost) and am happy.

I can say I'm also just a bit terrified about what still lies ahead, but that just makes my BP worse, so all in all.....just relax and get good prenatal care. Listen to your body, watch for signs and help your Dr's do the best they can to get you through your pregnancy. I have been under a very watchful eye since the beginning because of my pre-existing chronic HBP. I'm happy they are being extremely careful. I have had several 24 hr urine tests done, bloodwork numerous time, etc, etc. Just be prepared to be overwhelmed with the medical care. You need it and all will work out great.

Feel free to PM me anytime if you want to talk. I haven't really had anyone to "bounce" things off but I'm really trying to keep the attitude that I can handle whatever happens. Just have to have faith and be educated and proactive about your own health.

You are doing all the right things to start with.....so just keep that attitude and you will be fine! Good Luck!

March 20th, 2007, 11:23 AM
keeko
Thanks for your reply. I'm also getting up there in age - 32. As I go off of my old meds I'll be taking Aldomet twice a day, then once that is all I'm on it will be three times a day. I don't recall exactly, but I think each pill is 250 mg - but I could be way off.

It is so nice to talk to people who are in or have been in the same situation you have.

I will continue to follow my current diet and exercise plan and hope to loose atleast ten more pounds before TTC - which would be a total of 25 pounds. I would still be categorized as obese though. But I know it would have a huge impact (positive) on my bp.

Congrats on your pregnancy - you've made it a long way and I'm sure it has not been easy.
March 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck with the Aldomet. I took it too (as the generic -- methyldopa) and had a really hard time with it. It may be perfectly fine for you --- but I got horrific nightmares every night from it, and they stopped as soon as I stopped taking the drug. I would put off going to sleep for as long as I could because they were so bad. I was later told that is a side effect for some people. Also it did not help my BP at all.

I'm not telling you this to scare you, but just to say watch out for the nightmares. If you start getting bad nightmares every night, don't suffer like I did -- there are plenty of other BP meds that are safe to take during pregnancy! Oh - and my vision got blurry too, another side effect of methyldopa for some people.

Hopefully you will be lucky and your BP will drop while pregnant, mine has so far. Good luck!

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

March 21st, 2007, 06:59 AM
keeko
Thank you for your reply - you didn't scare me, I want any info. I can get. So the generic of Aldomet didn't work for you...what did? I know you said your bp has been dropping in pregnancy, but were you on any meds while TTC or in early pregnancy that did work for you?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply - I'll let you know if I experience any of the side effects you mentioned.
March 22nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been on BP meds since January 2002, and was put on labetalol when we started TTC in Jan 04. During my pg, I ended up taking labetalol 400mg twice a day, my bp kept going up, and I finished off the pg taking Aldomet 1000mg twice a day. Eight weeks after delivery, I was still up so they switched me back to Labetalol 600mg twice a day, which I'm still on. I also developed GDM on insulin while pg--that combined with the blood pressure got me a total of eight ultrasounds and weekly NST's starting at 27 weeks. I ended up having a c-section on my due date-Nolan weighing 8lb4oz, and healthy. I had bought a blood pressure machine, and was doing BP's twice a day throughout most of my pg as directed by my internist and my obgyn. Good luck with all of this---just make sure your doctors are on top of things, and try to relax-----oh yes, and get a BP machine PM me if you have any questions. I remember having a very dry mouth once I started the Aldomet, never any nightmares, though. My bp did go down at the beginning of my pg (which can be normal), but started going up at around 20 weeks or so. Good luck!!
Marie

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
March 23rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
keeko
Congratulations on your healthy baby! Thanks for the reply - I love hearing from people who are in or have been in my situation.

Aldomet is working good - but I'm still taking half pills of my old meds because you can't just stop them. My primary and OB have been great. I've been up front with them with my hopes and concerns as they have with me. I know there will be ups and downs and that I'll be watched closely - I just like to hear from others who have had success. I can't tell you how many times I've googled "success stories of high risk pregnancy" etc.

I'll keep everyone posted - as to hopefully help others out! If the meds keep my bp under control we'll TTC in May. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
April 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Regular
I just started reading here in the high risk forum and feel so relieved to hear other people talking about the same things I'm going through! I am on my fourth pregnancy (11wks) with blood pressure problems and also way too short for my weight. Even though things have been a bit bumpy I have three healthy kids to show for it.
I think the best thing you can do like the other posters said is to get as healthy as possible before getting pregnant. I would always get super motivated to eat very well once I was pregnant and I think it really helped....it also made me come out of all my pregancies lighter than when I went in. If only I could keep that up once the baby was out! LOL!
May 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM
MaxsMama's Avatar Veteran
I had high blood pressure during my pregnancy. I believe it was pregnancy induced as it has gone down quite drastically since Max was born.

My doctor put me on Aldomet. We started at 1 500mg a day. That worked for awhile. then they upped it to 2. that worked for awhile. Then 3...then eventually 4. You see it worked well for me when i was first on it. But, the farther along i got in my pregnancy the higher my bp got. I guess that's normal in all pregnancies. Honestly, the 4 times a day was ALOT! but, it worked a little...not tremendously.

I ended up on bedrest at 6 months pregnant due to high bp. When i saw my primary care doc a couple weeks ago to talk to her about my still elevated ~but not too bad~ pressure, she seemed shocked that my ob put me on aldomet for the pressure problems during pregnancy. not sure why. But, she seemed shocked.

Honestly, it may be the only bp med that is safe during pregnancy.

Congrats on the weight loss. Keep eating healthy and excersizing until you ttc. That will help lower your bp too.

I had a couple scarey times with my pressure during my later months of pregnancy. but I delivered a healthy baby at 37 weeks and 2 days IT can be done.

May 1st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Last year when I got pregnant I had been taking BP meds since I was 22, I was 34 at the time I got pregnant. My perinatal Dr took me off BP meds completely and monitored my BP. I can now say that I have been off BP meds for 19 months (I'm pregnant again) and have not had any issues with it going to high. Occasionally after I exert myself the top number is in the 140's but the bottom number has never been higher than 85. I also monitor at home at least once per day. I believe the reason for the drop is the amount of water I drnk as well as the walking and 25 pounds weight loss.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search