Will my PIH come back?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had my first baby boy in November of 2006. Everything was fine up until 36 weeks, when I had high blood pressure and swelling of my feet and hands. Tests were run to rule out pre-e, which everything came back normal. But my blood pressure stayed high despite bedrest, so I was induced at exactly 37 weeks. I know this isn't too early, and he was near term, but he was still 3 weeks early and he did have lung immaturity and respiratory distress. Because of this he was in the NICU for a week.

I'm not pregnant again, but I can't stop thinking about when I do get pregnant again, if my PIH will return. I know everybody says that it may or may not, but for some reason I have a bad feeling that it will come back, and it will start earlier. I was lucky that it didn't start until 36 weeks with DS, as he was close enough to be induced and have minimal problems. Had it happened much sooner, it would have been worse. So I can't stop thinking about getting PIH really early and having a preemie. It scares me to death.

Is there any of you that are on your second or more pregnancy that had PIH in the past? Did it return with this pregnancy? If so, did it come sooner than it did before? Is there anything I can do from the beginning to try and prevent it, already knowing that I'm at risk?
April 25th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Regular
Hi, I'm totally new here, but wanted to answer your question. My first pregnancy was uneventful except that when I arrived at the hospital in labor my blood pressure was through the roof. Although it was high risk birth everything went well. With my second and third pregnancies my blood pressure increased almost right away. I was on drugs the whole time, had to deal with short periods of bed rest each time and was induced a month early each time. I don't think that they ever ruled me as being pre-eclamptic although that was the ultimate worry. Thankfully my babies came without any health problems of any kind. I am now pregnant again with blood pressure issues at 11 weeks. I think that genetics plays a huge part in whether or not you will have it again, but I also believe that taking very good care of yourself can play a part. I am very overweight and feel like that has affected my situation although I do think genetics was at play because both of my sisters who are very fit still had some blood pressure issues at the very end of their pregnancies although much less severe. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about it. My doctor is very honest about the risks but is very positive about the outcome. I hope this didn't scare you because I feel like I have had imperfect, but positive experiences!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search