another newbie

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2007, 11:10 AM
sprouthead's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to sprouthead Send a message via MSN to sprouthead
Hello

I was just reading through some other posts and saw that there were a few people who have short cervixes and some are on bedrest and medication. I am between 26 and 28 weeks now (one according to DOC and one by LMD) and was just put on bedrest thursday. the dr. didn't tell me how short my cervix was, but they seemed surprised that i hadn't had contractions and were concerned about how low the baby was and his position.. they put me on brethene to stop labor and gave me cylestone to help with his lungs.. (can i just say i hate the steroids! my dr. says i'll get used to them..)

right now my main question is that the dr. put me on bedrest for atleast a month.. from what i've read, some of you have been able to come off bedrest. does that mean there's a chance my cerix may get longer in this month and i could go back to work before the baby's born? i have about 6 weeks of steroids and i figured that after that, the dr would just see what happened.. i kind of lost faith in going full term..

TIA!
April 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
get more info from your doc next time. ask if you are indeed effaced and how much.
i am also on brethine for contractions. i take it every 6 hrs. my problems started at 30 wks
and i am now at 34wks. my doctor will be taking me off my meds at 35...next week.
im not on FULL bedrest, but supposed to rest as much as possible-which is hard with a
3 yr old and my doc understands that...thats the only reason im not on bedrest....
ive had 2 doses of the steriod shots (they hurt, dont they?)

i dont think your cervix will "thicken" back up but bedrest and meds should
atleast keep you from effacing anymore or dialating any. youll probably be on brest
and meds til atleast 35-36 wks...depends on how your doc is. you can ask him!
i would personally doubt that youll be allowed to return to work until after baby...
But dont worry, you still have a chance of going full term. dont give up hope in that.
just take it easy,keep us updated!

April 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM
kkhadivar
hi sprouthead...i'm so sorry you've been put on bedrest and have a shortened cervix. i just wanted to let you know it's definitely possible your cervix may lengthen with bedrest!

...i was put on strict bedrest at 24+ weeks with shoretened cervix, contractions and effacement. the docs didn't think i'd make it to 28 weeks. i'm now 35 weeks!! it's been a long road - 73 days of strict bedrest so far. i was so sad when i lost my job over it but we were able to make it work, and i think they're going to take me back after the birth.

anyway, after a month and a half of bedrest, my cervix had actually lengthened and contined to do so! (from 2.2 to 3.2 cm) i had a couple other complications (small placental abruption and blood clot), so going off bedrest wasn't an option for me...but i know people who have been able to go off (but still had to take it easy). i'm on procardia and have had to make a bunch of trips to l&d to stop labor with the brethene too...but it has all been worth it.

hang in there...you can do it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search