Cerclage

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dayrey
I'm due to have one put in in three weeks. I'm a bit nervouse that just the Dr's trying to stitch the cervix will make it open but my Dr swore it was better to do early in the pregnancy then later. He is also concerned about my Cervix - he is having me goto the high risk group to have them examine my cervix because apparently in this pregnancy it has decided to hide behind my pelvic bone ?? He had a really hard time just trying to do the pap!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
<iframe src = "http://w89.photobucket.com/widgets/dynamicflash.php?featuretype=bucketstamp&featurena me=Familystamp&pa=/k222/dayrey01/siggie%20stamps/" height = 405 width = 390 border='0' frameborder='0' ></iframe>
May 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had one with my 2nd baby. We thought I would need on with this baby as well, but so far my cervix is short but not effacing or dilating.

Have you had other children? And you didn't have a cerclage? Why are you having a cerclage this time?

(I have posted about this a few times, but know I am goind duh because I had my weeks all one late, so this is the right weeks.) With my 2nd at an u/s at 7 weeks my cervix was already short, so I went back again at 9 weeks it was shorter, and 11 weeks even shorter, by 13 weeks my cervix was 75% effaced and dilating. So I had an emergency cerclage placed. It pulled my cervix back to only 1 cm open. I had a spinal when the cerclage was placed. I actually liked having the cerclage because with my first pg I had 1 month of restricted activity followed by 3 months of strict bedrest. With my cerclage I had restricted activity 7 weeks on, but not bedrest except for a few days after I had my cerclage. My cerclage was removed at 36 weeks. And because a cerclage is placed because one has an incompetent cervix it i doesn't necessarily mean you will have the baby right way once it is removed. An incompetent cervix is on that starts to dilate just under the pressure of the growing uterus and baby...without contractions. When my cerclage was taken out I went for an appointment about 2 days later and I was 4-5 cm...and baby's head had already been at +1 for months and I had been completely effaced for months as well. But I didn't go into labor until 37 weeks. I went to a 6 without contractions...just because of my incompetent cervix.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

May 17th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I just read your thread in the 11DDC board. So now I know why it is being recommended you have a cerclage.

I started having ptl with my first very early and within a few weeks was put on strict bedrest (and a med if needed) until I reached term. But the weaker uterine contractions that were causing issues with my first pg were not enough to do anything other than efface my cervix and bring the baby's head down (+1). The cerclage won't let your cervix dilate with those mild, mild contractions. But if you go into real labor with a cerclage in that is risky...because it can rip your cervix.

I know you went into labor with your other children at 30 weeks. Tell me about that. Did you dilate much? Need mag meds? Just efface? Did you actually have them at 30 weeks or were you able to carry them longer?

And your cervix could very well be an incompetent cervix now...trauma or surgery can cause an IC. And a cerclage is a great way to keep that cervix closed if it is opening because of pressure.

May 17th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Super Mommy
I've had a host of problems with pregnancy and my kids were born 8 and 10 years ago. (now I'm almost 40!) I delivered my daughter at 33 weeks (toximia turned to eclampsia and a partial previa) and my son born at 36 weeks...I went into labor at 30 weeks both times and effaced to 75% in 24 hours.... since then I have had several bouts of cervical dysplasia...I have had about 5 leaps and biopsies to remove the pre-cancer cells. dr thinks that with those surgeries and my history of preterm labor it would be a good idea to stitch that puppy shut!

I had not heard of too many stories - and yours is one for the record books. I am absolutely amazed you were able to go so long with being that effaced!! I'm actually a bit relieved to hear your story ! thanks!
<iframe src = "http://w89.photobucket.com/widgets/dynamicflash.php?featuretype=bucketstamp&featurena me=Familystamp&pa=/k222/dayrey01/siggie%20stamps/" height = 405 width = 390 border='0' frameborder='0' ></iframe>
May 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM
prev3xthecharm's Avatar Veteran
First off I lurk often but dont post much. First off I have 4 children and one angel.. Our angel was born at 24 weeks and blessed us for 13 days.
Our oldest Morgan was born at 34 weeks because my water broke she spent 11 days in nicu and trans u and shes now 10.
When I was pregnant with our second oldest at 18 weeks they found incomptent cervix and funneling. I was immediately put on bedrest (and at about 24 weeks someone mentioned a cerclage but I was too far along) he was born at 26 weeks at 2lbs2oz and spent 89 days in Nicu hes now 8..
Our youngest daughter was a surprise as soon as we found out we went back to the perinatologist and said we wanted one. I was able to do everything normally up to 13 weeks then they placed the cerclage and monitored me closely at about 24 weeks I was put on strict bedrest and at about 31-32 weeks I wound up admitted in preterm labor with a mag wash. As they tried to wean me from mag I would start contracting and they realized the cerclage was aggravating my uterus soo (no fan fair or anything they removed it)I was between 3-4 when they sent me home but not contracting. She wasn't born untill one day shy of 37 weeks she was 6lbs 2oz and came home in 2 days..

If your still reading..In Jan of 06 we found out we were going to be parents again..They did the cerclage at 13 weeks I monitored my own activity( like no shopping,going up and down the steps once a day and resting a lot)Again they monitored me closely at 16 weeks we started progesterone shots (to prevent ptl)and my dr believes in Omega 3 so I took fish oil caplets once a day..I didnt have the stitch removed untill August 29th went right to 1-2 cms and on September 5th after they broke my water I was already 4cm I gave birth to a beautiful little boy. He was 6lbs15 oz 19 inches long and came home in 2 days...If anything I can tell you every pregnancy is different and as stressful as it is enjoy the roller coaster..

I never had any pain and hardly any bleeding with my cerclages. ANd if we ever decide to have the 5th we will do exactly the same thing. If you check msn they have a support group.and if you want to talk pm me..

Steph..

May 17th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Quote:
If anything I can tell you every pregnancy is different and as stressful as it is enjoy the roller coaster..[/b]
DITTO! My ob's are shocked that after having been dilated at 13 weeks with my 2nd pg that my cervix is still holdign up at my 16 week appointment. The chances are still very low it will continue to hold up, but so far it is.

Quote:
I never had any pain and hardly any bleeding with my cerclages.[/b]
Same here. I only had one though.

The cerclage does have a small risk (rupture membranes--very unlikely), but it really helps IF you have an incompetent cervix!

May 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Super Mommy
thanks all! The info is great....

After the cerclage do they recommend bedrest for a day or so just to make sure the cervix isn't irrated? Did anyone have to be put in a upside down position? Or I guess maybe Rear end up while they do it ??? My cervix is apparently behind my pelvic bone and making it very hard for the Dr to get a good view of....

at least at my appointment today my cervix is nice and long at 4.5 , closed, lining is nice and thick (thanks Prometrium) and the baby looked like it was dancing with the Arm and leg buds moving all around! It was soo cool - sonograms have come along way in 8 years
May 18th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Quote:
thanks all! The info is great....

After the cerclage do they recommend bedrest for a day or so just to make sure the cervix isn't irrated? Did anyone have to be put in a upside down position? Or I guess maybe Rear end up while they do it ??? My cervix is apparently behind my pelvic bone and making it very hard for the Dr to get a good view of....

at least at my appointment today my cervix is nice and long at 4.5 , closed, lining is nice and thick (thanks Prometrium) and the baby looked like it was dancing with the Arm and leg buds moving all around! It was soo cool - sonograms have come along way in 8 years [/b]
4.5 cm long!!!!! Wow! That is really long. Average is 4.0.

I had my cerclage on a Friday and I was on bedrest for the weekend...back up on Monday morning.

I was just laying flat with my legs in stirrups when I had my cerclage. But my cervix is pretty easy to get to I think.

Yeah, sonograms are sooo cool now! I wonder what they will be like in another 5-10 years!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search